Oak Aged Widdershins | Left Hand Brewing Company

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Smooth. Been awhile since I've had a barleywine and this one hits the spot. It's not overpowering in any way ... just crisp, smooth, and satisfying. I doesn't rock my world but I'm sure glad I gave it a try.

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Clear, copper hue with a big cream-colored head and okay lacing

S: Lots of oak and citrus and dates; also, a bready, malty backbone

T: Not as complex and intricate as I would've thought from the aromas but this is six years old and I think the age has been pretty good on this beer: so smooth and fruity and woody

F: A touch thin--pretty good mouth feel

O: Like I said, this is a six-year-old bottle, and man, is it smooth and oaky and fruity and malty; I like this a lot more than I did when I tried the fresher version

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 7.99. 2013 vintage, best by 12/3/18- bottled 12/3/13? Served in a Microbrasserie Charlevoix goblet.

Pours a nice garnet russet hue with about one finger of pale head. A thin cap remains and leaves a decent bit of lace.

Smells of alcohol, burnt caramel, a vague spice nite and malted barley.

The booze hits early and unabashedly followed by burnt caramel, vanilla tinged oak, cheap toffee, bitter berries, a little pine, cereal grains and some soft floral notes. Tastes strong but disjointed. Every now and then I'd start to get some nice oaky or caramel notes but the unblended alcohol and ocassional off notes quickly lead the flavors in a different direction. Lacking the hop bite of an American barleywine and the rich toffee of an English barleywine, this comes across more like some kind of vague high octane strong ale.

Syrupy full body with fairly mild carbonation. Burnt sugar, malted barley and fusel alcohol finish.

Oak Aged Widdershins isn't bad at all but doesn't quite come together. I'm surprised by how harsh the alcohol seems given that I drink stronger brews on a regular basis. Perhaps some age would do this good but I didn't detect enough of what I look for in either American or English barleywines to spend any more money here.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%