400 Pound Monkey | Left Hand Brewing Company

400 Pound Monkey400 Pound Monkey

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by garcia2a on 09-03-2008

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,161 |  Reviews: 553

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle

a: Translucent gold with a half inch white head which dissipated quickly, leaving behind an uneven white surface foam film and plenty of lacing. Became more clear.

s: Mild pine.

t: At first a pear/grapefruit note, then a more piney taste. Moderate hop bitterness.

m: Quite substantial for an IPA. I liked that, but it might make for a slightly less appealing summertime imbibe. Easy drinking enough however, especially considering the higher ABV.

o: A stronger than average IPA but not outstanding except for its name. Worth trying, and ok. I'd probably rather have more fruit notes and less pine. OTOH it grew on me somewhat after the halfway mark.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden color with a full head. A head film remains on top long after pour. Some lacing.

S: Nice hoppy aroma with some sweetness - maybe caramel.

T: Bready, hoppy, bitter, malty. Nicely balanced and really good flavor.

M: Could have a couple - not too heavy.

O: Well done English IPA. Must try again.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by 9/06/13. Bought for $2.19 a single and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on 6/20/13.

I bought this beer just because it was the first time my bottle shop got it (to my understanding), and I hadn't been let down by anything Left Hand had put in my belly. I thought the label on this was kind of cool, and I figured I'd give it a shot.

It pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a two-finger head. It doesn't last long, but I get some really nice lacing. The nose doesn't have much going on, for me -- slightly malty with a BIT of a "funk" that I can't quite pinpoint. There also seems to be a trace of citrus... oranges or something.

The front of each sip on this beer is not good at all, to me. Picture one of those scented garbage bags with trash that's been sitting in it for a few days... this beer tastes like that smells, at least on the front. If you don't know what that smells like, it tastes like sweet rubber bands and Band-Aids. After that unpleasant taste goes away, there's a spicy maltiness on the finish with a decent amount of hops. Being an English IPA, it's not incredibly hoppy. 400lb Monkey does have a bit more bitterness than other English IPAs that I've had, for sure.

A decent beer... an odd beer. If you like "dirty" beers/beers that have bizarre flavors that most people would find off-putting, this is the beer for you. The initial flavor on this beer is strange, strange, strange. After having a number of sips and working my way down the glass, that flavor went away a little bit, but I'm not forgetting that it was there. Given the price point and other tasty beers Left Hand makes for the same price point, I'm not sure I'd have this one again.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%