400 Pound Monkey | Left Hand Brewing Company

400 Pound Monkey400 Pound Monkey

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
lefthandbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by garcia2a on 09-03-2008

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,161 |  Reviews: 553
3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

1.37/5  rDev -61.7%

Yuck. This smells and tastes a little like very old hops mixed, but mainly bad fish. I could not locate the brewed on date, but I bought it at a reputable store that sells only beer; hopefully, they'll honor a return.

I can't actually say that I've ever been compelled to even try to return a beverage, but this beer was so bad I couldn't drink it. I'm pretty adventurous, but this was just plain off.

3/6 bottle all equally bad, maybe it was a bad batch. The brewery clearly has a good reputation and I think I've enjoyed this beer years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry to have to report this is a bad brew, but that's pretty much all there is to say. Based on appearance and general carbonation and mouthfeel, it had potential, and if you read I'm not alone in this negative experience.... just AVOID this and drink any of the 100s of others.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

3.54/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a straw colour, with a lot of sediment, but a minimal head. Still leaves decent lacing down the glass as I drink.

The nose has some resiny hops blended with a musty maltiness that somehow conjures memories of my old apartment (not really sure what that says -- about the beer, OR my old apartment...).

This brew has almost a barnyard must to it, a muted straw backbone girding the toasty malts and citrusy almost florid hops. There's even a hint of... honey? Something?

Aside from the mustiness noted, it almost tickles my throat. It's not that it's overcarbonated (I think it's an appropriate level of carbonation), but there's just something on the way down...

Overall this is a very drinkable beer. It's a little different than other IPAs I've been drinking (at least recently), almost as if it had pinch of Blonde thrown into it. It's well balanced and drinkable. Check it out, it's certainly worth trying.

3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

eh. pours a very clear light golden color with nice white lacing and a small white head. smells like an english malt attack and thats about it, deep though, layered. flavor is very malty, taste like the spent grains at a brewery smell, has a bitter finish. i wouldnt call this an ipa by even english standards, but whatever. feel is decent, heavier than it looks, sturdy abv, fine carbonation. overall im just not impressed here, pretty pedestrian brew for lefthand.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%