TNT | Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

Added by obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

1.82/5  rDev -44.7%

Long silence of reviews broken. Why? Well, this is the first drain pour I've done in years.

It looks OK, dark and cloudy, but has little aroma, and the mouthfeel is off...an affect of the tea I'm assuming.

Phenolic/tannin flavor completely takes over whatever this beer "should" be. Tastes like a bad batch of home brew (and I have brewed exactly one bad batch of home brew with tea). Astringency is king in this beer's land of disappointment only made that much harder by the absurd price.

Use your wallet (trust me, close it) to coup this beer out of rotation.

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

Had this beer from a 22 oz bomber bottle. I was excited to try this beer because of the smokey element. Poured into a pint glass. Right away the smell hits you in the face. Leather, smoke, burnt tar. Not a good combination. The taste was overwhelming fake Liquid Smoke to me. I couldn't get passed the leather, burnt soy sauce, fake liquid smoke taste of this beer. I dumped it, and I can count on one hand how many times I've dumped a beer. Not. Good.

1.91/5  rDev -41.9%

I love Left Hand Brewery. I love there smoked line up. They make some of my favorite beer. This, however, is a train wreck. Murky brown color with almost no head. It looks like shit water, seriously. The aroma is the only saving grace. Love the smoke notes. Reminded me of oak smoke. Flavor was unexpectedly smokey and dominant. Caught some tea notes, especially on the end. Didn't get anything else. There is a lot of flavor in there but it's a train wreck. I'm sure some will laud over it's complexity but this is not complex, this is an ambush of flavor. Left Hand is better than this!

2.17/5  rDev -34%

Poured into an Aventinus glass.

Pours a deep, murky dark chocolate brown with a mocha head of about two fingers. Copious lacing evident.

Aromas of dark tea, malty, toasted wheat, citrus (orange), not a good mix. Aromas are all over the place, and nothing really works together.

Flavor is kind of "meaty" with dark fruits (mainly prunes), some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy. Good level of carbonation. Smoke ting lingers.

Overall not a good combination. Not pleasant, will likely be a drain pour.

2.23/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I wanted something strong, and a lot of it, after a long day at work. Grabbed this out of the fridge and I love weizens and I love bocks but...

Visually there's nothing wrong with this one. Sort of a soy sauce or dark, deep wood finish look, but with a bunch of odd floaties that, personally, are a turn off. Pours with a hefty brown seafoam head. Smells... weird. A previous review mentioned a "carbonic tang" and that sounds appropriate. There's an odd fermented vegetation scent to it with a side of soy.

Wait, this thing is made with tea? Oh come on, why mess with a perfectly good thing like a weizenbock?

Taste is pretty much the same as the nose. Very pungent and smoky with a sort of acidy taste and aftertaste and an oily texture.

Bleah. First Left Hand beer I've had at home, and only the second I've ever tasted. I tried their milk stout at the ACBF in Boston last year and enjoyed it, so i know they're capable of good stuff. Best go back to the drawing board with this one guys.

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

2.32/5  rDev -29.5%

A weizen dopplebock with tea. Pours a hazy very dark brown with fizzy tan head, fades to a thin ring leaving nothing on the glass. Smell: smoky, roasted grain, cola, fruity, caramelized sugar. Smells good, but pretty far afield for a weizenbock. Kind of almost works for a dopplebock. Taste: I have the same reaction to room temperature day old coffee. Which this tastes like to some degree. Also: cola, grainy, (some kind of) berry sweetness. Low carb, medium body, drying finish. And yuck, a drain pour. Bottled 2/16/2011. Left Hand has fooled me again.

2.36/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a very murky brown with a decent sized khaki colored head that quickly settles to a thin film and leaves a bit of lacing as it makes its way down the glass.

malty bock aromas with some graininess and wheat toast, but plenty of herbal tea spiked with citrus. doesnt quite work together too well.

some toasty malt flavors with some raisin and plum, but with significant bitter herbal tea mixed in there as well. Im not sure this was the correct style to use this tea with. flavors do not mesh well together at all, and actually get worse as the beer warms. some campfire smoke and astringency as well.

almost medium bodied with rather light carbonation and a smoked herb aftertaste that lingers unpleasantly.

not very impressed. sounded interesting, and it is interesting, but overall its totally not for me, and not something I would drink again.

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Had this one on tap this evening at Hops & Pie in the Highland neighborhood in North Denver. I had considered purchasing a bottle for a few seconds the other day, but passed. Glad I did. Medium brown color, with a scant off-white head. Aromas of light smoke, dark raisins, bananas and wheat. Similar on the palate, but hidden behind an overwhelming (and unpleasant) smokiness.

2.55/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I got a bad bottle. Poured at a good temperature with no head or lace. Color is a very dark, clear, brown red. Aroma is roast, smoke, tea, malt. Flavor's like nose, carbonic tang is up front, followed by smokey sweet, and some tart, followed by some bitter in the finish. Body is ok, carbonation is a bit fizzy. Finish is like flavor, long in the smoke, and not that good. I'm dumping the rest.

2.56/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Murky brown color. Some brownish head with a touch of spotty lacing. With the dark color it is hard to see the clousiness you expect from the style.

S: The nose is a mess. It has some weizen but also some rauch and the tea. They tried for something different but it really is a miss. Sometimes less is more.

T: The tea is up front and that is nice. The rauch aspect of this beer does not work at all. The tea brings it out even more and it is super astringent.

M: The carbonation is a little low. Kind of a wattery body.

D: They just tried too much. If they left out some of the rauch malt this might have been a super interesting beer but it worked against everything else going on.

2.59/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Phenolic, peaty smoke, and a dripping spoonful of diacetyl. I'm sorry, but I've wasted enough time on Left Hand brews to give them an in-depth review. I haven't had one in several years, and see they are still really poorly made. The body is kind of watery in spite of the jarring flavors, and the finish vapid. Fail.

2.61/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Looks good. Dark cola color. Decent tan head.

S- Little bit of coffee, not much else.

T- Old coffee with a smoky,salty, and maybe even peppery aftertaste. Not particularly fond of the taste...at all.

M- Carbonation is good. Feels smooth. Not bad.

O- Smokey...almost a smokey, salty,oily fish aftertaste. Not for me. Not what I want in a beer. Had worse....some german urbock something or other...again...do not care for this one.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Looks nice enough in the glass with the reddish mahogany color. Seems very sweet for first few sips. If there is some malt flavor, it's lost in the mayhem. Lapsang Souchong is smoked with pine wood, which give a campfire or house burning down flavor that is not at all pleasant in beer. Aroma is peculiar but interesting with some bacon and tar. Endless aftertaste of Lil' Smokies, even with the greasy mouthfeel.

My other beverage interest is tea, and I find the Lapsang Souchong flavor too strong even in tea. And adding it to beer, the intense flavor just sticks out. I'm a big fan of weirdness in beer ingredients, but not when they're dosed with a heavy hand.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I am not quite sure what to expect with this one. I have brewed a number of WeizenBocks myself, and this is a hard style to hit and have it taste good. I constantly compare everything to Aventinus, so I am a bit jaded. This one has tea in it, so I am expecting something different from the get-go. Let's see what Left Hand has to offer on this one:

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color that you really can't see light through even when tipped. There was a small heaf of tan bubbles on top that were rather large and fizzy that didn't really stick around for all that long. Then the head was a small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: The aroma is really earthy. I am glad that I knew that there is tea in here as I would swear it was infused with potting soil (they "dry dirted" their beer). As the beer sits for a bit the aroma is getting more minty and a bit less earthy. There is a rauch component coming out clearly now that I don't know is actual rauchmalt or from the tea. Any weizen yeast aromatics are reserved. They may be giving me a bit of clove, but there is no banana in here for sure, which is a good thing IMO.

Taste: The smoke and earthy notes are the primary components of the flavor. There is some evident alcoholic warming that is being added to by the acidity of the dark malt and I guess from the tea too. Overall the flavor gets harsh rather quickly. There is some solid malt in this beer, but it seems that the basis being dark malts isn't playing as well with the darkness of the tea as you would hope and it gets pretty seriously acidic quickly and that stays with you into the finish. As the beer sits, the malt is turning less smokish and getting a Rye malt edge to it, that I am not sure what I think of. The alcohol softens up some as the beer warms up, and the flavor profile is starting to favor the caramel. The beer itself is medium bodied with ample to a bit low of carbonation.

Opinion: I am normally a pretty big fan of what Left Hand does, but this beer has left me guessing. I am not sure what they were going for here, except for a reason for a collaborative effort with their local coffee shop. Perhaps this is their offering to compete with Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. If so, they missed the boat. At least the beer is getting sweeter as it warms, but I am not sure that I am going to be able to finish this one. I think that this will be the first Left Hand beer that I have pitched, but it is just not "doing it for me". Sorry, Left Hand. Maybe your next one.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Draft at the Rackhouse in Denver, CO.

Pours a deep, dark chocolate brown cor that's almost black and completely opaque with a one finger off white/light beige head that quickly settles into a thin lasting ring.  Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Very smokey aroma that smells almost burnt with hints of charcoal, butane and campfire with sweeter notes underneath, especially chocolate and toffee.  The smoke kind of overpowers though with an ashy character.

Medium bodied with a strange combination of burnt smokiness and sweeter malt.  Unpleasant burnt malt flavor that tasted like charcoal and ashtray.  Not in a good way like most smoked beers.  Sweet chocolate toffee and caramel and maybe even some dark fruit.  I know that this is made with tea but it doesn't taste like it.  Not herbal at all, just smokey and not very flavorful or complex.

Overall this was very disappointing. A weizenbock made with tarry schong tea made me excited for a complex smokey wheat beer but it's kind of a one dimensional mess.

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always looking for something with smokey accents so I was happy to find this on the shelves. Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep dark brown, looks like bog water. Initially presents with a deep beige head but that quickly faded leaving just a light film on top. Smell is hard to pin down. Definitely some smoke, with a hint of soy sauce, and tea leaves. On tasting this beer my taste buds were just as confused as my nose had been. The smokey flavor is just off. Rather than getting that great smoke campfire quality that elicits fond memories of camping with friends/family, I get a smoke quality of cheap cigar ash that has been left out a long time. Their is a soy sauce thing in the taste as well, but its like it had been left in the sauce pan and got burnt. The tea aspects on this beer create this background flavor that seems like dark fruit that is past its time. The mouthfeel doesn't help because the carbonation seems low, making this a thicker mess to have to get down. Overall I was really disappointed in this beer. I know Left Hand can make a good beer with smokey elements because I really enjoyed their Fade to Black vol 2 porter. This one just didn't work.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

NO NO NO....Hard to finish this beer. Split a bomber (thank God I shared) Poured dark brown with an average frothy brown head that lasted, with good lacing. Moderate roasted malt, wet wood and horrible smoke aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and light carbonation. Medium smoked sweet flavor with a medium smooth sweet finish. Some Tastes I can't pin point, maybe it's the Tea? Bad combination, no balance. By far Left Hands worst brew, I have an Imperial Stout from them next....Stay tuned.

TNT from Left Hand Brewing Company