TNT | Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

Added by obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.29/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown and bubbly. The head was a bunch of bubbles that only formed into a head for a few seconds.

Smells like smoke, lots of it. Exactly like a raunchier. There is also the smell of black olives.

It tastes smokey too. Also roasted malt and bacon.

Lots of carbonation, light body and stickiness to the texture.

I like the smokey smell and taste, but the other tastes and texture are just not fitting together for me. Worth trying if only for its uniqueness.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a rich, deep brown. Nose is a mix of tobacco, smoke, and cherries. Leather and smoke dominate the flavor. Cherries make an appearance, and the tea comes in late. There is a dry and bitter finish that I would associate with overdone unsweetened iced tea.

As I'm getting into it more and it warms, the smoke and leather are becoming more tame and the bad iced tea flavor is going away. More dark fruit flavors are coming out. And a hint of bacon.

I can't say I love this, and I can't say I hate it. But it's different and worth trying

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Looks nice enough in the glass with the reddish mahogany color. Seems very sweet for first few sips. If there is some malt flavor, it's lost in the mayhem. Lapsang Souchong is smoked with pine wood, which give a campfire or house burning down flavor that is not at all pleasant in beer. Aroma is peculiar but interesting with some bacon and tar. Endless aftertaste of Lil' Smokies, even with the greasy mouthfeel.

My other beverage interest is tea, and I find the Lapsang Souchong flavor too strong even in tea. And adding it to beer, the intense flavor just sticks out. I'm a big fan of weirdness in beer ingredients, but not when they're dosed with a heavy hand.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured this one into an Aventinus glass.

Even with a vigorous pour, this brew only makes a finger thick light tan head. The body is brown and pretty thick with residual yeast.

The aroma is smoky sweet with a hint of over ripe banana and clove.

The taste is totally rauch. Not what I expect in a weizenbock. There is a hint of sweetness, but I can't quite peg down what it reminds me of.

Feels full in body, a little chewy, and a little oily.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

This is my 1st chance to try a Left Hand brew (following up after a disapponting 10° below).

Poured into a washed out Guinness pint, this brew pours a dark brown with red hinted color and a small tan head with a slippery lacing.

The dark grains come forward on smell as well as errr smokey tea I suppose, Not that much experience with tea, except for sweet tea and thats definately not the aroma.

The flavor is a kick in the butt for me. The first thing that comes to mind FOR ME on 1st taste is smoked oysters, the following sips confirm my original taste. I'm hanging in there because I like smoked oysters, but I'd rather eat them with crackers and hot sauce than drink them.

In my opinion, way out of the Weizentbock box.

By about the 6th sip the smoked oysters are slowly being replaced by some barley and minor wheat. Smokiness is still prevelant in the throat. After about 8 - 10 sips I was determined to soldier on through this, but I've raised the white flag and surrender this into the depths of my sink. I'm starting to feel like I just ate a can of bad smoked oysters.

For me, a C brew, and that's being more than generous

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark murky black tea looking stuff, with pretty much no light getting through, with a fizzy darker head that fades pretty quickly.

Nose brings a definite smoked aroma, some smoke cheese like with a bit of a smoke wood like aroma, a faint black tea aroma in the background as well that's more like background radiation of tea than a dominant aroma, light caramel and molasses, some bock like malts and a faint chewy brown malt.

Taste comes on following right with the nose, bringing smoke at first, a slight smoked cheese and light hickory and some campfire even. The smoke brings a slight bitterness and almost acidity, as well as a faint acrid burnt flavor. Then comes the light black tea, and earthy tannic like tea flavor that's not too strong, but more dominant than the aroma I think. Malts play a background role in this one, with a bit of caramel and molasses, then some dark wheat like bock flavors, and a bit of dark fruits. There is a light smoked jerky like flavor too that comes and goes. Finish is drier, with more smoked flavors, light campfire, sticky sweet like malt flavors, a bit syrupy at this point as well, and some light bitterness and tannins.

Mouth is a bit heavier bodied, some booze warmth comes out on the finish, with decent carbonation.

Overall interesting to try, but not one I would probably buy again. It has some interesting flavors, nice tea like and the smoke starts nice but gets a bit overwhelming. The biggest problem with the beer is that the beer itself, malts etc, play a background role in this beer. It's more about the smoke and tea than weizen-doppelbock at all, for which the flavors are very subtle and hard to get to behind the heavy smoke and tea. I like the idea, but please tone those components down a bit and try again. The tannins start to get a bit heavy and combine with the smoked, char, and bitterness to bring a slightly unpleasant feel as well.

TNT from Left Hand Brewing Company