Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Week Sauce Coffee Porter | Left Hand Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by redjameskidd on 05-22-2011

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours very dark brown to black. The lasting head leaves lacing.

The smell is of wonderfully robust roasted espresso/coffee.

The taste is of rich coffee with dark fruit undertone that keeps it from being one-dimensional.

It is full-bodied and creamy. Fits a fuller side of a porter without going into stout territory.

A rich coffee character with an excellent porter character.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on-tap in a pint glass at Special brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: totally black with a finger of creamy tan foam leaving a nice lace on the glass. Attractive!

Smell: sweet and roasty, kind of like a milk stout. There's quite a fair bit of coffee character here, too. I like it.

Taste: tons of coffee right up front with a bit of roasty malt underneath. There's also a bit of a green character here, maybe some vegetal hops. Good, but a bit one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess. Works for me.

Overall: I like this beer well enough, but it is a bit simple and a little too in-your-face with the coffee for my taste.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

$7 pint at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Right off, I can tell you, if you enjoy sweetened coffee, you ought to love this beer. For me, the sweetness is what turns me off just a little bit, and has me nearly giving the overall rating a quarter point lower. Week Sauce tastes like chilled black coffee with a bit of sugar in it, quite honestly, and that may be right up your alley if you want yourself a sweet porter. Coffee all over the nose and taste in this one. The aroma also has some dark chocolate and fruits (blueberry?) that also come off in the flavor a bit. It makes for a pretty interesting and tasty coffee porter that I'd recommend highly for a dessert beer. I'd like to try this again in the future, since I now know it's on the sweeter side, which I did NOT see coming.

Week Sauce Coffee Porter from Left Hand Brewing Company