Blueberry Pancakes | Great Notion Brewing

Notes: Rotating availibility.
Outstanding
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 22
2.79/5  rDev -37.9%

I know GN beers are popular, but I confess I'm more than a bit puzzled by some of the raves for this beer. On tap at the Alberta street pub the other day.

The beer pours the expected blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and light lacing. The nose is OK I guess, as I pick up light bluebery, coupled with dark chocolate, light vanilla and some noticeable maple (hence the pancake component). On the palate, this is a disaster. The sweet blueberry just does not play well with the chocolate, maple and light vanilla. As a result, I get something of a medicinal quality in this beer that is not very attractive. Mouthfeel is OK I guess, but there's something of an astringent medicine flavor that I'm just not digging. Alcohol seems to be fairly well integrated into the flavor profile, for whatever that's worth.

Fortunately, I only got a 5 ounce pour of this beer, as this was really pretty nasty. Just did not feel the addition of the blueberry flavor played well with the base beer and the maple.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Many breweries give their beers a special name. But far too many times, the taste of the beer falls short of what its creators decided to call it. Great Notion absolutely nailed this one. The beer literally tastes like blueberry pancakes. I've actually never had a beer with such an accurate representation. By FAR, one of the most delicious beers I have ever tasted. Go and try it NOW! How am I the first reviewer for this one?

Blueberry Pancakes from Great Notion Brewing