Orange Creamsicle IPA | Great Notion Brewing

Great Notion Brewing
Oregon, United States
greatnotionpdx.com

Style: American IPA

Ripe IPA flavored with orange creamsicles (hypothetically speaking)

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 48
3.05/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

For an IPA, this is all the candy and way too little beer, bringing plenty of Sweet Tarts, PEZ, and peach, but not much else, with a thin juicy feel that's sweet and almost tart. I'm not sure about it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Appropriate moniker. Melted orange creamsicle with a balanced, hoppy punch and a satisfying mouthfeel. Dangerously smooth and sweet at 7%, they could easily sneak up on you on a hot summer's day.

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

Yup, this lives up to its name. Almost disconcertingly so. Do you like the sickly sweet orange candy taste? This has that in abundance. Didn’t do it for me, tho.

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the brewery.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy peachy amber color with decent head retention and lacing. This beer looks attractive enough, but then I stuck my beak in the glass... Oh my. As advertised, there is a huge aroma of orange creamsicle. How is this even possible? The orange aroma I can of course understand, but there's also vanilla ice cream as well... And incredibly, this is replicated on the palate. There's decent bitternes on the finish as well, which from this brewery, is a surprise. Otherwise, mouthfeel is very smooth, fairly soft, and long. The finish is clean and long. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, and drinkability is terrific.

One of the most interesting and intriguing ipa's I've encountered. Tried to get them to sell me a crowler, but alas, no luck. A tour de force by the brewer at GN, and highly recommended. Yummy stuff.

Edit from 9/5/16. Looks like GN makes this periodically now, and so I was able to try another batch the other day. Still pretty good, but it didn't have the intense "vanilla ice cream" flavor I encountered the first time I tried this. I made a special trip over to the brewpub when I heard they had it on tap again, but based on the batch I tried the other day (couple weeks back), I doubt I'll do that again.

Orange Creamsicle IPA from Great Notion Brewing