Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Ratings: 6,012 |  Reviews: 2,180

I should start this review out by saying that I'm quite biased towards the Ommegang Brewery beers- it's one of my favorite breweries, and Hennepin is my favorite beer. However, I will strive to be as honest as possible despite my love of it.

Can I rate this a 6? Please? It's fabulous. It's similar to the regular Hennepin in many ways...it pours a pale gold color, with lots of head- gorgeous. The smell is like Hennepin with more bite- it's sharper.

Taste is, simply, yummy. It's a bit crisper, drier, fruitier than regular Hennepin, and a bit more alcoholic tasting. The mouthfeel is bubbly, medium-bodied, and plays on the palate. Drinkable? You better believe it.

Now, I'm always in the mood for Hennepin- but, I can see this lovely cave-aged version being more of a specific craving. That being said... I can see cravings for this happening frequently. The sad thing is there are only 3360 out there... mine was number 1010. Oh well. Get it while it's there. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

Poured from bottle to wine glass-serving temperature was approximately 41F.

A: Golden amber. Dense white head that lasted quite a while. Lace was persistent as I was drinking. Very nice.

S: Fruity. Citrus for sure. Little to no hop aroma. Definite sweetness.

T: Citrus with this slight sour taste. Very well balance with a slight spice as well.

M: Good carbonation and maybe a medium body. Slightly dry finish with some tartness.

D: Probably one of my most favorite beers now. It reminds me of some of the trappist dubbels. Very refreshing and the citrus is just awesome.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

A: Clear golden color with a faint haze. Thick white head with major retention on the glass.

S: Mild spice. Possible peppery scent with mild overtone of sweetness. Slight grain aroma also.

T: Very crisp with a nice smooth flavor. Hard to break down because of its complexity. Ever so slightly spicy and very mild sweetness that lingers in the background. Aftertaste is like mild lemon and fruit tartness. Nothing overboard but very well ballanced.

This is excellent!!! I never understood why people spoke highly of Ommegang until I tried this style. It is a better version of the parent Duvel standard brew. This has lower alchohol phenol scent and flavor with a better taste. Best Ommegang I've had.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang