Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,168 | Ratings: 5,982
4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the big bottle, came out a nice golden haze, with thick head and lacing throughout. Smell was good, not great, had nice spice and citrus smells, good grain odors as well. Taste the same, with some mild hoppiness, good crisp finish. Mouthfeel was lively, with decent carbonation and the lacing reaching the mouth. Very good beer!

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A: Straw color, slightly hazy. Pours a 3 finger head and sticks around as a nice blanket of foam. Leaves some lacing.

S: Straw and sour but not as pronounced as others (e.g. Dupont) and more inviting. Mild hops and a malt balance. Strawberry, citrus and spice play a small role. Can smell a bit of alcohol.

T: Very mild hop flavor and much less sourness than expected, except towards the end. The malt does a good job of balancing the hops.

M: Fairly light, good carbonation - very crisp.

D: Mabye the most drinkable Saison I've had. Extremely well balanced and the alcohol is fairly well hidden.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a hansa pils glass. Pale, bright yellow and brilliantly clear appearance if the bottle trub weren't swirled in. Trub is suspended in the top foam and makes an amazing display as it falls. Tiny bubbles float up. White head that is rocky, stands for a bit then falls at an average rate.

S - very pleasant aroma of a light, refreshing beer. Almost lagery with other notes that round it out - earthy, grassy, a touch of the rustic.

T - Saison that has been well aged. Again, earthy and grass like. Alcohol has some sharpness and is evident in the taste but it is soft, rolling over the palate. Finishes with a touch of citrus but not from hops. Tastes more like natural additions other than hops and malt; malt is very subdued. Clean finish.

M - Lingering finish. Very complex mouthfeel that makes one want to have this with a very delicate meal - nothing overpowering or overfilling. Low body that is sharp and supported well.

Great beer. I can see why this is an A. Served around 54F.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz. bottle into tulip.

A- hazy yellow with white head. Hard to pour this one without creating a large head. Dissipated fairly quickly. Lots of bubbles.

S- Smells like a hefeweizen. Lots of banana and clove with some pepper.

T- Similar to a Duvel, but not quite as complex. The taste follows the nose, with plenty of the Belgian yeast coming through. I was fascinated by the finish I got, which added a new dimension to the range of flavors already present

M- Very carbonated at first, which took away from it, but was much better as it warmed. Dry and crisp.

O- I'm not too familiar with the Saison style. Having only had Saison de Silly, I was expecting something a little more funkier and out of normal range, but I suppose the Silly is an exception. Overall, a nice brew that I will be enjoying more of soon.

3.17/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beer No. 57 – Ommegang Hennepin

I keep a bit of everything in the house because you never know when a summer craving will come a little early.

STYLE: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

ABV: 7.7%

LOOK: Less than yellow, refreshing. Ideal one-finger head that doesn’t resist a subtle sip.

NOSE: It won’t shine here. And that’s OK because that rather misses the point. Loafy and dry.

MOUTH: White pepper, nonfat butter, bitter salad greens. It’s not – memorable. On the front, too much rind and not enough zest. On the back, a quiet lagerish coat.

Beeradvocate Rating: 93

ratebeer Rating: 97

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, I've tried this a couple times before... 1 of 2 Brewery Ommegang products that I've had the priviledge of comsuming.

A- Amazing 3 finger white fluffy head crowns a cloudy straw yellow brew. Excellent retention, and very intricate lacing. Very well carbonated as well.

S- Fruity malt plays with the nose at first... a mild spicy apple, perhaps pear... malt, yeast... vague faint dark fruit (similar to a belgian strong) are also present. Hops as well. Excellent nose.

T- Delicious, yet not without its flaws. The taste is not as complex as the nose would indicate... Much spicier than fruity... slightly peppered. A rather one dimensional malt is the headline here... although it transitions into a very warming alcohol taste... which then transitions nicely into a brief hop finish. Dark fruits linger on the aftertaste, although slightly apple rules the initial sip. Tasty, but doesn't live up to the nose.

M- Hmmm... Light body... lighter than i was expecting even... however, perfect carbonation.. nice citrus bite as well.

D- Well, although this comes in a 4 pack, it is quite drinkable. I think this is a brew best served with food, such as some bbq chicken, or a gyro (which is how I initially tried this brew).... *Recommended

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz poured gently into my Delirium Tremens tulip so as to not disturb the yeast

A: Pours a 1 finger pure white head. Golden yellow hue, almost perfectly clear. Good head retention and a nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Huge scent of clove and nutmeg. A little funky and yeasty. Some lemon and banana smells. A little hint of the alcohol in the nose. A slightly tart odor too.

T: The taste lives up to the nose with regards to the clove and citric hop flavors up front. Slightly sweet, but mostly tart and a little funky. Finishes pretty clean with a very subtle hint of malt, but not much at all. The alcohol is not really able to be tasted in the beer.

M: Highly carbonated, somewhat thin body. Very refreshing with a clear and crisp flavor and feel.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Poured into my ommegang goblet from a 750ml bottle. The beer is a light yellow through light and a pretty light honey orange most of the time. A fluffy white head, 2-fingers or so fluffs up in the glass and drops to a nice 1/8th inch or so coating that lasted the entire beer.

Smell is fantastic--earthy, mud, wet hay, barnyard, leather, honey and fresh herbs. incredibly complex and satisfying. this is one of the rare beers i just want to keep smelling, forget drinking it.

But drink I must, and the taste doesn't lower the bar at all. Sweet bread, honey and a soft fruitiness hit the tongue first, then a mix of herbs and yeasty spicyness punch through, followed by a soft flavor of wet grass and earth. The bitter earthiness follows in the aftertaste combined with a candy sugar sweetness.

The well-carbonated brew comes off creamy, especially because of that soft head. A 750ml goes down so incredibly smooth, I could drink another 750 if I didn't know better. In my opinion this is a beer approaching perfection, and it's amazing to think it's brewed in the US. There's no way to even guess this isn't a traditional Saison from Belgium, and it would rank near the top of any beers in the category, no matter the geography.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Beer pours a light golden color with a good 1 finger head, excellent carbonation that is perfect for the style. Head disappears quickly but good lacing is left in glass. Smell is of slight citrus with a pleasant fruitiness throughout, some subtle spice comes through. Taste is of simple spice with a subdued fruitiness that is not overdone, very little bitterness. Faint hint of malt, but definitely not the focus of the beer. Beer finishes dry and crisp. Though a high ABV beer alcohol is well hidden and only begins to appear after beer has warmed considerably.

A great beer to have on a spring summer evening as things are beginning to warm up. One of the better American interpretations of the style.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Hazy, pale yellow coloring with nice lacing.

S: Not getting much on the nose, good or bad.

T: Citrus, yeast, bread, slight coriander.

M: Nice oily coating on the palate.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite impressed with the craftmanship of this beer. Saison is not my favorite style, but Ommegang does a great job with this - I would have guessed this was from Belgium in a blind tasting.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: Straw color and hazy with short white head.

S: Fruity esters in the nose perhaps even some bubblegum.

T: Some fruitiness but dominated by the peppery phenolics and bitterness. Piney tartness. A light supporting role played by malts. Alcohol flavor present. With little sweetness.

M: Effervescent, tingly mouthfeel. Prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

Notes: Another good offering from Ommegang.

3.04/5  rDev -27.1%

Nice golden color, head a tad thick/lumpy. Very peppery smell, nice spicy taste but the finish was just way too bitter for me, not what I want out of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A = Gold and slightly cloudy. Nice 2 finger white head that slowly receded. Strong lacing.

S = Yeasty and musty with some alcohol evident.

T = Nice sweetness up front giving way to some hints of citrus. Finishes a little bitter hop and very little alcohol. Well balanced taste.

M = Pretty light in the mouth, with a little oily residue after the swallow. Moderate carbonation.

D = Nicely drinkable. ABV is hidden and a clean crisp finish helps make this a sessionable brew.

Nice brew, very similar to a Duvel. Just not quite the masterpiece.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%

750 ml. Poured with a nice head, but not too big, as many Saisons are. Fell kind of quickly as well. Golden color with poor clarity and lots of suspended yeast. Not very floculent. Light aroma with hints of lemon and cherry with a persimmon note. Palate was uncomplicated with a light but distinct sour ale taste and quick finish. Plenty of carbonation left on palate for an active mouthfeel. I didn’t get the alcohol notes until about 1/2 way through the glass, then my palate opened to it and I could taste it then. My favorite Ommegang product so far.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

This is the third installment of the Ommegang tasting that I am offering to Beer Advocate. I have had this beer several times before and now have decided to review it. The beer poured into my 211/8th fl. Oz. snifter with an enormous head. It shortly subsided with massive lacing on the inside of the glass. The nose was heavy with hints of yeast and sweet grass. The taste is light and sweet with apples. Ommegang has hit another homerun with Hennepin...kudos Brewery Ommegang!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pale yellow-gold with a slight haziness. A massive, rocky head disappears slowly leaving tons of sticky, white lacing.

S - Like candided oranges, grass, wheat and a touch of anise. Very complex and very good.

T - Spiced oranges were what I thought of. There is a very slight hint of anise, or some similar herb. Fresh wheat, grasses and other spiced notes. Deliciously complex.

M - Crisp, fizzy and refreshing, but also substantial. Damn near perfect.

D - For a beer so refreshing and crisp on the tounge, this Hennepin is surprisingly hearty. Perhaps the 7.7 ABV has something to do with that.

So... Great Lakes Grassroots Ale bills itself as a saison, but I am confused, because that tasted like crap and this tastes delicious. I am glad that I did not let the Grassroots scare me away from the style entirely.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

I've had this beer a few times in the past years, but now that I sit down to review it, it disappoints.

Perhaps I've opened a poorly stored bottle.

A- Like a lager, bright yellow. Lots of mousse that effervesces like mad, settling into a thin top layer in my thin goblet.

S- The most apealing aspect of this beer is the aroma. Spicy with a note of citrus.

T - I can't get away from the rather unpleasant bitterness that overwhelms the palate. Not a pleasant bite, not balanced by anything else in the ale. Perhaps I am just not in tune with the hops used in this ale.

M - Light with an active fizz.

D - Due to the persistent bitterness, I wouldn't say this is an enjoyable ale/

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml bottle served at a refreshingly cool temperature. This was the third beer for my birthday, after Delirium Tremens and Odell's Double Pilsner. It proved to be an excellent relief. At 7.7% ABV it was the lowest of the evening. I loved everything about this beer. The appearance was a nice cloudy golden hue. The nose was aromatic and the taste was phenomenal. I absolutely craved the sourness of this amazing saiaon. It was sad to pour out the last of it, but it was time to attempt a double IPA.

One of my personal favorites (a now one of my wife's favorites as well).

A: Pale gold, slightly cloudy, with an absolutely huge head

S: Yeasty, estery, with funky spices.

T: A beautiful balance of sweet malts and esters balanced by a nice sharp bitterness and spiciness. Also a nice backdrop of horseblanket that rounds things out. I have to say that even though the bottle says to leave the yeast behind, I think the added yeast really improves the character, making everything softer and mellower.

M: A great creamy/spritzy combo that works well with food.

D: So refreshing, so complex, a beer for almost any occassion.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. No fresheness date on the bottle, though doesn't really need it considering its bottle conditioned.

A - Pours a fluffy, bubbly two finger head. There was minimal lacing after the dissipation. Beer is a clear pale yellow, kind of disappointing in someways because I'm used to cloudier looking saisons but I guess thats whats fun about them; you never know what your going to get out of each brands beer.

S - Pale hoppy smell, kinda bready. Wheat, cloves, floral notes. Green apple, lots of spiciness.

T - Very crisp, has the usual saison tartness, however its a little over the top. Green apple is roaming around in there somewhere. Bready, estery alcohol tastes. Alcohol is very present at the end. Has a champagne like quality to it. Bready after taste. Finishes dry.

M - Body was very light and the carbonation was well balanced, which helped its drinkability. However, I thought the tartness was a little over the top and it didn't leave the greatest lasting impression on my pallet.

D - I enjoyed it but it was strangely more of a sipper than something i couldn't put down, which is unusual for me when it comes to saisons. I think the balance was slightly off. Overall, I enjoyed it but its not something that I would look for in the future. I think I was hoping for something else, probably something comparable to what I've had in other saisons (in terms of balance at least). Perhaps its just a different style saison, perhaps I need to branch out a little more. A good beer but not a great.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A> A very nice bottle and an even nicer looking beer when it hits the glass. The beer is a golden hue, with a beautiful head that sticks around forever. You can see bubbles of carbonation bursting up in streams. This is one active beer, all those yeasts must be happy!

S> Great bouquet on the nose. It smells tart and bright with hints of fruit and spice in the background.

T> Tastes a lot like it smells, a sweet malt background that is complimented nicely by the tart funkiness of the farmhouse style with a hint of strawberry like fruitiness that hits my taste buds periodically. Perhaps a bit too sweet on the finish and the spices steal the show a bit too much. I can also taste hints of the 8% ABV.

M> Good feel in the mouth with ample carbonation. Quite creamy. Better then average but nothing outstanding.

O> A solid farmhouse ale and quite a steal at $6.19 a bottle, although I think I would have preferred this one in the summer.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This is my first Saison but I have enjoyed other similar ales. I've always been a fan of Belgians, Dubbels, Trippels, and Quads. Though the flavors are a little different, I was told this is right up my alley. My style of choice is RIS mostly but I often look for other stuff to keep my taste buds fresh. I bought this at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR.

Poured in a 14oz wide mouth wine glass 2008 Bottle

Appearance: Poured a Pale yellow with a thick, three-finger, rich and creamy white head. Nice lacing and good retention. The head dissipates slightly but stays long after the pour, as if my beer has been topped off with whipped cream. Haven't seen that before.

Smell: Sweet malts light fruity notes and some stinky earthy tones. Smells similar to much of the Belgian styles I have enjoyed in the past but I think this is a little more aromatic.

Taste: The taste is pretty, sweet and sturdy yet delicate. The flavor is new to me, its like tasting a lovely perfume of a passerby. Its bitter and spicy with some fruity notes but its hard to really pick out specific flavors. If I had to pick, I'd say banana with a hint of strawberry. The brew is pretty damn good and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty light, almost too light. Kind

Drinkability: This brew impresses me but its not my personal brew of choice. I would definitely recommend it to others but I don't think I would buy it again, not because it isn't worthy, its just not my personal preference. My only problem with this brew is that it came with only 7.7% ABV. Not enough for the money in my opinion. Indeed, I buy for quality but its still nice to get a good buzz off of a good beer.

Cheers!

-Dotson

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

I must have gotten a bad 4-pack because this was really alcoholic smelling and tasting. Didn't have any of the subtlety I remember (tho' I must confess it's probably been a few years since I've had this beer). Boozy! And so overcarbed it was impossible to pour well...

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml. bottle.
First glass pours a nice deep copper with a billowy white head that quickly recedes. Light to moderate lace. Very fruity scents, including apple. Spices are ginger and coriander. This is a beutifully spiced brew from start to finish. Low peppery image mixed with fruit produces a cidery quality. This beer makes no apology and produces a very bold flavor. The finish is stong with belgian malt and a hint of alcohol. Worth the 3.99 price tag, to be as understating as possible. Second glass gives an entirely different character, as I add all of the yeast. Everytime I buy this beer I wonder why I don't buy it more often.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang