Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,157 | Ratings: 5,928
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

I drank Hennepin because I am interested in brewing Saisons and this seemed like a classic example.
Appearance- Cloudy, straw color with a bit of a creamy head that lasted halfway into drinking the beer.
Aroma - I smelled lemons, and then malty/bready aromas.
Taste - Hennepin is tart, but not sour, which is appropriate for style. It's a little fruity, but not overpowering.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Poured out of the 750ml bottle into a tulip glass a crisp, pale straw hue with a whipped egg white head that settled nicely into about a finger's worth of foam (I've got big fingers mind you) and some nice residual lacing on the sides of the glass. Bright tropical fruit and spice on the nose with a touch of honeysuckle. Brilliant clean taste with a nice yeast complexion in the body with a little spice in the finish. Great drinkability- nice effervescence and really clean.

Good Saison from the Ommegang lads. Quite refreshing on a hot day in the city.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

A plastic cup at Fall for Greenville (THink taste of ....)

A: Golden, with a thick head. Once again, I don't think I got the best pour from the festival worker in the Ommegang tent.

S: Citrus with some hits of pear or other similar fruit.

T. Just as it smelled, but at times almost a nectarine like taste. A surprising spicy bite to it.

M: Very light; some decent carbonation.

D: Drinkable to me at least as a sipper. This was my third beer of the festival, and noticed it took me much longer to get through this beer than the other two. I'll likely try this again in a more standard sitting and see how that goes.

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Poured into a pint glass with no visable head. Dissapointed with the pour. The color was a beautiful strawberry blonde.

S- Wasn't sure if it was clove, barn, or flowers.

T- Like drinking a clover cig, in a straw barn in the country.

M- Clean, medium body.

D- Can see how many people would love this in the summer. Not my favorite style, but an excellent Saison from a top notch brewery.

Anyone in upstate NY should make a point to visit the Ommegang Brewery. Wonderful people, scenery, and delicious beer.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow. Just wow.

Pours a nice hay color. I didn't have a pint glass (shocking, right?) with me so I had to use a snifter- perhaps that contributed to the larger-than-expected head. Lots of bubbles, and lots of lacing that stayed all the way through the beer.

Moving on to smell, we've got a whole mess (the good kind) going on in here. I'm notice (in no particular order) orange, apple and lemon.

The "wow" comes in with the taste. An explosion of flavour hits your palate, and each aforementioned fruit is augmented by a nice balance of carbonation.

The mouthfeel is very light, very crisp. It's one of those where you say "Ah" at the end.

For drinkability, simply see the above.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

We recently tried Hennepin in a delightful Mexican restaurant on a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Interesting and inviting cloudy orange color with a citrus taste. Overall an enjoyable beer I would love to get my hands on again!

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured on tap, this beer was pale with very white creamy head with lacing that lasted through the entire glass. Very sweet smell with champagne-like odors. Taste was watery and sweet with white grape tastes and an odd perfume taste at the finish. Mouthfeel was light and dry and little aftertaste. I will say that it is very well balanced with the higher ABV. Drinkability was ok for a hot day beer, but not at the top of my list.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a semi-transparent hazy golden yellow with an inch-thick white and soapy-looking head that leaves a nice ring of lacing around the glass.

S - A big yeasty aroma smacks your nose with hints of lemon peel, honey and pepper. A more sour scent appears as it warms.

T - A large amount of bready yeast mixes in with the honey and lemon as well as an overall citrusy note, for a zesty first wave. This is followed by a mix of carbonation and peppery notes that bring a bit of zing to the palate. The two waves combine, leaving you with a refreshingly tart and spicy flavor that lingers for a very short while. The tart factor becomes a little more pronounced as it warms.

MF - Lighter-bodied with a bit of a heavier carbonation that adds to the overall taste very well.

D - Quite a drinkable brew I'd have to say, even though the ABV leans a little toward the higher end of an average beer. If your looking for something to make a session out of though, one could definitely finish the 4-pack of 12oz bottles, which would make for a great summer night session =)

Notes - A very interesting and refreshing brew and my first taste of a saison-styled ale. Overall, quite a good brew to pick for the summer to quench the thirst for a good beer that won't knock you on your ass and that has a great flavor to match. Definitely recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

EDIT: REALLY important to note- there are DIFFERENT types of hennepin, depending if it is brewed in Cooperstown NY or in belgium. The labeling tells you, and I'm not sure if they've standardized it all. The arched front labels are ones brewed in NY- those are GOOD, the standard hennepin that I love. The ones with a flat square label with the words "product of belgium" are NOT good. They taste like Duvel knockoffs- and since Moorgat brews them IN belgium (to keep up with demand since the NY brewery is allegedly too small), it's no suprise. So if you want the TRUE hennepin, u must buy the arched label with NO pouring directions on the side, with NO statement "Product of Belgium".

The one pictured in these reviews for example is the belgian version. Not as good.

tulip, 750ml bottle

A- ridiculous head, huge, soft, pillowy, rocky chunky. Retains forever to the last sip. Light hazy golden straw on careful pour, very minimal lacing which is my only qualm (and may be only due to my glass).

S- Fruity, yeasty nutty, musk, a little peppery spice.

T- lightly sweet pineapple, dri-ish finish (still sweeter than other saisons I've had), yeast, lightly peppery spicy, some earthiness to it.

M- foamy tight carb, creamy, light bodied.

Overall, this is my favorite beer, the first saison I ever had when I started to get into belgians, and the beer I've bought the most of. 750 ml is better than 12oz's I've bought, and it goes down sooo easy and delicious.

EDIT: Having another bottle and pouring it more carefully yields clumpy splotches of lace, thick clumps at that! So got to raise the score again.

4.46/5  rDev +7%

a: golden grain, about an inch of head, no lacing, very clear
s: fruity, grainy malt, very nice smell, pears and lemons
t: citrus, pine and earthy, warming alcohol, slight bitterness, great balance
m: perfect carbonation, light/medium body, very smooth
d: the beer goes down easy. highly drinkable even for a >7% beer.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Enjoyed a 750 ml bottle.
A Great Saison/Farmhouse Ale.

A dull straw gold color. Somewhat transparent. Nice white head that appears very sudsy. Fair amount of lacing.
Smells of honey, citrus, and hay.
I love the taste of this - lemon, pepper, sweet malt. Nice crisp, clean, citrus finish that lingers for quite a while.
Very nice mouthfeel- light, bubbly almost tingles.

I suggest you drink this one!!!
A great value.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Wow.

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Form a 22 oz bomber.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a nice big head into a snifter glass. A bit light on smell, but this isn't too unusual in the style in my experience. The taste is fantastic. Wonderful yeasty and herbal flavors. Slight sourness that defines the style. I love this for a summer drink. Quite drinkable despite the ABV.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours crystal clear golden yellow with a white head that last for a decent amount of time leaving a nice thin lacing around the glass.

The smell as well as the taste is very yeasty and bready with almost a sweet grapefruit hoppy aftertaste mixed in.

A little heavy on the price where I get it but I definantly see myself partaking again in the future.

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed something school-inappropriate - It's utterly sublime! Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing Russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alcohol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison I've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a 20oz pint glass has a hazy, cloudy straw colored body with a thick, just-off white head that leaves beautiful lacing.

Smells are faint, but honey, lemon and some grain come through.

Taste is about what you'd expect from the smell. No real hop flavor, but some nice sweetness and citrus spice. No one flavor seems to dominate the others.

Medium-body mouthfeel with a good bit of carbonation.

Incredibly drinkable. This seems like it'd be the perfect way to end a hot summer's day.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out of a 750ml corked bottle, with the "2005 Cave-aged released October 8, 2005" tag around the neck. It's been in my basement for a year or two.

A - Before I poured, I noticed that the bottle had TONS of stuff on the bottom. Poured out, it's a hazy light orange color. Decent head and carbonation.

S - Fruit, slight malt. Smells like alot of other top end saisons I've had.

T - Malty, dried fruits, relatively dry. Very good and what you'd expect froma world class saison.

M - lot's of carbonation, light body, dry finish with a decent amount of alcohol.

D - Very. That's about all i can say. If you like saison, consider this a good, cheap "session saison". You can drink alot of this one.

It's great taste, good quality, extremely drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Served from a 750 ml brown bottle.

Appearance: Effervescent golden straw colour with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Slightly musty with an herbal hop aroma. Pale malt through the nose.

Taste: Crisp and bitter with some higher than average tartness. Some pungent leafiness and grassiness. A little musty and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and pretty highly carbonated, textured medium bodied brew.

Impressions: Not bad, pretty interesting low-brow tasting brew. There is some interesting funkiness in the taste of this beer. It's pretty bold though, so some people may dislike it. Fans of IPAs should try this.

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- A lovely cloudy amber/orange with a huge rocky head that persisted with nice lacing.

S- Spicy rich and complex with hay/grass, citrus and a nice barnyard mustiness underneath.

T- Like it smells. Rich and spicy with a wonderful complexity. Notes of honey and coriander. Strong flavors but not overpowering.

M - Full and creamy with a lingering finish and lively carbonation.

D- This is an excellent saison and will definitely be in my cellar from now on. Finished the bomber over a couple of hours and enjoyed this one to the last sip.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale orange with half an inch of foamy white head that last as a thin layer on top for the duration of the glass. The lacing is minimal.

I'm getting a fruity yeast smell, almost cider like.

The taste is of spicy fruit with a slight belgian yeast flavor. Also a slight bitterness from the hops and fruity dry aftertaste.

The beer has alot of carbonation with a slight alcohol tingle very minor, dry finish.

Overall like this beer alot probably my favorite of this style. Great flavor here.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Golden orange with a 2 finger white fluffy head that only sticks around for a bit, then dissipates to a thin ring.

S- citrus, coriander, banana, sweet pale malts, bread. Fruity.

T-I get the bready yeast up front. The coriander and banana come through along with a nice spiciness.

M- Light, crisp, refreshing. Smooth with no bitterness. Carbonation is on point.

O- excellent beer!

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A slightly hazy gold, with carbonation still very visible through the haze. It poured with a beautiful 2 and a half finger head that retained very well throughout.

Smell: Very clearly a Belgian. Lots of spice and flora on the nose, and very inviting.

Taste: Delicious. A very well-balanced saison, combining the spiciness of the Belgian yeast with light citrus notes (mandarin oranges) and a nice dry finish.

Fell: Very well-carbonated and easy to drink. The moderate ABV level is well-hidden by the complex yet approachable flavors presented in the beer.

A delicious example of an American saison. Very easy to drink, yet still complex enough to provide you something to mull over if yo want to.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Overall, a little bit of a let down for me. Split this one with my drinkin bud, and poured it into one of our new tulip glasses. Had a nice appearance...cloudy orange with a foamy, two finger thick head. Smell was nice as well, sweet and fruity. Had a carbonated, crisp mouthfeel, but not as pleasing on the palate as other Belgian style ales I've had. Taste wasn't anything special for me, fairly typical for this style of beer. Had an average drinkability....I didn't have problems with my half of the 750ml bottle, but I didn't want any more either. Worth a try, but don't expect to be blown away or anything.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

served in brown 12oz bottle
Served in a Chimay chalice

Pours a hazy golden color with a nice white frothy head.
Smells of wheat and fruits are present.

Taste a nice wheaty flavor with definate fruit. I did a earlier reveiw on the same company and belive me they dont skimp on the fruits. Also smelling apples and citrus notes.By the way lacing is awsome . Medium body. Traces of the high alchohol only detected on the finish. A great summer beer very refreshing. Malty and sweet very impressed.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 1 pint bottle into a Bordeaux glass.

Appearance is lovely - a warm golden yellow like rapeseed honey - with a thick poofy crown of white head on top, though this, along with any lacing, dissipates significantly as you drink. Heavy carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass through the cloudy remnants of yeast.

The nose is so inviting; not at all overwhelming but teasing with scents of sour apples, lemongrass, grapes, coriander and that special Belgian yeastiness that makes one think of a summer day on the farm.

The taste lives up to the nose with a subtle explosion of sour apples and citrus with just the right kick of tang and hops on your tongue. The ever-so-slightly sour flavor is perfectly accentuated by the carbonation giving a very pleasant mouthfeel that is light and airy but with enough substance to keep reminding you how delicious it is long after your glass is empty.

This beer is so well-balanced, I could easily finish one bottle and go back for more. A wonderful interpretation of the style.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang