Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)
4.15/5
Exceptional
Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang

4.3

Ratings: 6,031 |  Reviews: 2,184

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Mmmmm...Hennepin. A beautiful beer from Ommegang.

Pour is a murky saffron yellow, swimming with all kinds of small sediment. The off-white head has the characteristics of peaked stiff egg white, and rises two fingers...easily. You could do four if you were too aggressive. Lacing is absolutely sick! This is one of my favorite looking beers by far, as there is just so much to look at. Simply beautiful.

Aroma is a fusion of pine, fruit, must, and a little wood...maybe cedar???

Flavors here are awesome, with tons of dynamic play. Hops up front display a familiar "IPA" type evergreen note. But this quickly fades into an unripened plum flavor, which greets you with sweetness, but ends rather sour. Aftertaste is quite earthy, but like others have said here, it is actually pleasant.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, without any distracting bite. Nicely balanced.

An absolute favorite for me, and the default pale on my shelf.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Are you tired of spending your inheritance for those wonderful Belgian brews. I say they are well worth it, but .... My dealer sells a big 750 ml bottle of Hennepin for only about $8. That's a bargain.

The cork pops off and tons of smoke rolls up and hovers on top of the big bottle. When you pour, a big white head emerges with plenty of lacing. Hennipen wonderful Belgian style beer with a classic Belgian look of hazy and cloudy golden brews.

Taste so good I forgot to get whiff. So I pour some more and discover a wondrous beer smell. I will just sum it up as quite interesting and complex. Beautiful sturdy head built up in my Ommegang Chalice. A golden murky look. I loove that.

Taste is damn good. This is less hoppy with a sweet after-taste and still a little tangy sour, but Hennepin is nice and subtle. There is some subtle sweetness with sour fruitiness. Hennipen is balanced. Malty yeasty flavors.

And it's so drinkable. This beer slides real nice over my tongue and gives me so many nice tastes and a great texture that is a tiny bubbly Belgium fizz that I love so much. The carbonation reminds me of New Belgium's Fat Tire. But the flavor has much more ...uumph! This beer compares closer to the Tremens.

This beer arises to one of my top five favorite paler golden brews. It may be in the top 2 or 3. Damn fine beer and powerful. Kicks your white butt too. Pretty strong brew.

So what should you listen to while drinking this brew? I would recommend folk singer Greg Brown. His new cd Freak Flag would be a hip choice. I might also recommend his recording The Iowa Waltz.

You may want to save this beer for UEFA Champions League soccer matches. Love ya dogs. Go Tottenham! And good luck to the Belgium team in Brazil. Damn, they have enough good players that they could damn well steal the cup.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang