Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Ratings: 6,000 |  Reviews: 2,175

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Poured from bomber bottle into oversized wine glass...
Big thick white foamy head...golden hay color.
Great belgian and earthy aroma.
This is one of my favs...always a great choice. Perfect balance of belgian yeast, hops, and carbonation. Even better on tap, im my opinion, but this review was from a bottle; which offers the bottle conditioned aspect.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. 1/2" fluffy head on top of a cloudy golden ale. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well, and a small head retains throughout. Looks a lot like a witbier, maybe a touch darker.

First smell was a bit offputting, and with that I mean it almost smelled musty, or even like some cheap beer that I wish to forget. Subsequent smells reveal more. Yeast and citrus? Bubblegum? I'm not the best with recognizing smells in beer aroma. I was almost offended at first, and worried I wasn't going to like this, but then...

Great flavor in this, much better than the initial smell. Fruitiness, citrus, bubblegum, it's a sweet beer up front. Wow. This is the first beer of this style I've ever had, and if this is what I can expect from the style, I'm certainly a fan. It's similar to a witbier, without the spice notes. Somewhat dry on the finish, but not bitter, not hoppy. Just a great, highly drinkable beer. I'll be buying this again, no doubt.

Mouthfeel is similar to a witbier. I keep going back to that, but it's my best point of reference. Pretty much perfect drinkability. I would say this could easily be a session beer.

Amazing.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Can't believe it took me this long to review this beer. Pours a hazy, golden-straw color with a medium white, frothy head that takes some time to settle. Scent is lovely farmhouse funk with some green apples and citrus lemon. Some light floral notes with pepper and other delightful spices.Yeasty and hoppy. Taste is just outstanding. Initially I get green apple and a bit of butter-like flavors. Then I get a hint of bubblegum with light clove and nice citrus flavors. Funky brett-like flavors throughout. Nice hops with sweet Belgian yeast flavors. Finishes spicy and crisp. Alcohol hidden very well. Such a complex saison. Mouthfeel is well-balanced and crisp. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is one of the best saisons out there with it's availability, intense complexity, awesome price, and flavor profile.

***EDIT*** I need to add that this review was from a bottle that was bottled in October of 2009.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang