Hennepin | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Hoppy, farmhouse saison with champagne like effervescence; flavors include ginger, spice, orange and toasted grain.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

4.3

Ratings: 6,073 |  Reviews: 2,196
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled on 3/31/11, Best by 3/20/13

A: Pours a hazy, bright sunshine yellow color with a 2-3 finger head that sticks around for a while

S: Definite Belgian yeast to start with some fruits and spices, along with a funky rustic farmhouse twang

T: Same as the smell, with some accompanying alcohol that adds a nice complexity to the spiciness. It's like a hefe with what you get in terms of the fruitiness, plus a rustic farmhouse note. Some light hops also provide a nice bitter flavor towards the end. Very crisp and refreshing

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A great example of a refreshing, crisp saison that works amazingly as a summer beer. It can even be aged for a few years, which I think would be interesting to try

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

I think the last time I had an Ommegang was...I don't remember. For some reason I haven't tried many of their beers. I've had their Three Philosophers though. Since it is way too damn hot in Texas I thought getting a saison would be a good purchase.

This beer looks great. I poured it into a large stange glass. It looks yummy. A great, massive, bubbly-foamy, white head formed. In the glass it took forever for the head to fizz away and the head kept a nice retention for a long time. My glass had etching on the bottom so there were a lot of bubbles rising to the top. Without sediment in there the beer is clear and a golden-yellow color.

I get a lot of lemony citrus in the smell. The yeasts bring out some veggie and grassy smells. There's some sulfur in there too that sort of gives off a skunky smell. It's possible my beer could have become a bit skunked since it's the Texas summer. Anyway, light malts add a straw-like aroma. There's also a very strong toasty smell.

Hennepin has a sort of toasty, grassy yet sweet taste. Hops are minimal. Yeasts add that bit of sulfury funkiness. The more sediment that's added makes the beer taste more like a light hefeweizen than a saison. I like the flavors but I didn't find it too extraordinary.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium. It's creamy at the beginning but has a dry finish. Medium-high carbonation.

Interesting flavors. The toastiness adds some uniqueness but I wish it had just a tad more hoppiness to it to make it more distinguishable from a hefe, especially when sediment is added in.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

750ml shared with SundaySour, bottled 5-20-2010. An extra from GoGators (cheers!).

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: light yellow pair skins mixed with pastuerized pulp-free lemon juice. The foam on this thing is very whip cream like, fine and fairly thin. 3 solid fingers of foam eventually rejoined the waterline. A few waterfall tracks of lacing, a rather strange formation. The retention was moderate, but a fingernail length foam remains on the glass. A good looking saison.

S: Slightly green lemons with some crispy green beans. Pear sweetness throughout. A really sweet vegetable smell that takes me to cooked peas, asparagus, and potatoes cooked in red wine. The wine notes really stick out in the end, and are quite sweet. The alcohol is very vinous with a mellowed quality I'd more readily associate with reds. All in all quite mellow, but with many notes.

T: Lemongrass, dandelions, and edamame. A little spike of flavors that I can only describe as poppy seed like, very soft but noticeable. A little bit of tahini in the late middle. Geen onions linger with alcohols to create a very salad like finish. Arugula has a strong presence for a peppery green character. A strong showing for salad greens in this one. Very easy to drink, extremely easy drinking. Love the fruity pear notes.

M: A real champagne yeast character that has a fairly slow drying process; and also never quite fully dries to champagne standards. I like the more wet character in the mouth as it doesn't leave gaps for the alcohol to take over, and more subtle plant characters remain in the flavor. This has quite a full body for the style, but I'll play it safe and say medium-full. I can't tell how much trickery is in that rapid-fire carbonation.

O: Really quite good, and very easy to drink. I appreciated all the flavors in here, but there isn't too much complexity in here. I'd say the flavors are even fairly homogenized, but it doesn't really matter. This a very clean representation of the style, and it most certainly should be had with food. Stir fry, steamed greens, and light salads would do awesome here. You wouldn't even need to put pepper on your salad -- it's already in your glass.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Clear golden to amber with a thick, persistent white head. Lots and lots of lacing down the glass. The perfect saison pour? I don't see how it could get better.

A wonderful aroma: citrus, namely lemon and some orange, barnyard, a touch of horse blanket/farmhouse, and a touch of white fruit, perhaps apple or pear. This beer's aroma grows and magnifies as it warms; it's tremendous.

A classic saison, if such a thing existed. The flavors consist of sweet fruit, barnyard/horse blanket, a touch of funky yeast character, and some mild bitterness. Though it sounds funky, this beer is accessible as they come and incredibly drinkable.

Light to medium mouthfeel. A pleasure to drink.

A really fantastic saison. This might be the classic, benchmark, standard for the style--and I wouldn't argue the point.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

750ml C&C bottle I have been sitting on for awhile just for giggles. Circa 2006-07 vintage. The bottle has conflicting information regarding it's abv. At the bottom it states the abv is 7.5, at the top left corner it states 8.5%. Poured into a Ommegang 10 year anniversary cervoise it appears a clear straw yellow color with a golden center. A finger of white froth dissolves leaving finger-like patterns of lace on the glass. A light swirl revives the cap to a finger of fluff that is yellowish stained.

The smell of this brew is quite fruity with notes of pear and bready grains. Somewhat like caramel with hints of original bubblegum. There is some expected yeasty spice included not really peppery in nature more like clove. There is an evident amount of sulfur and some grassy notes mixed with belgian phenols. The backend is minorly reminiscent of banana.

The taste is sweet with caramel malt and a hint of original bubblegum flavoring. Slight herbal hop inclusion provides a nice balancing bitterness. There are some spiced yeasty notes of clove and faint banana. It is very clean and well balanced.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is quite creamy and smooth in the feel. Very easy drinking with a low alcohol impact despite the conflict of listed abv on the label. Regardless if it is 7.5 or 8.5% abv, it drinks like it is half of that. Exceptionally balanced, this brew has gone through quite a transformation I actually enjoy it more with age on it than a fresh offering. Nice.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

750 ml bottle poured to a stemmed tulip.

Clear as a bell, burnished gold color.

Some bread, a lot of citrus, and a hint of funk in the nose. Clean-ish smelling for a Saison.

Citrus dominates in the flavor, with some pilsner malt sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, but the beer is exceptionally dry. After the swallow it just vanishes off the tounge and you're ready for the next sip. Perfect on a hot day like today. Very refreshing.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I decided I needed to bust out my bottle of Hennepin from the cellar on a 100 degree summer day in Mpls. Good old mr. summer is getting me all hot and bothered for some Saison thirst quenching action so I decided to dip deep into my cellar and found this Hennepin that I've been hoarding for about 6 months.

Undid the wire cage on the bottle and the cork popped out with out me even touching it so I thought I had a bomb...but no...it poured crystal clear yellowish orange with a one finger rocky head. I made sure not to get the sediment in there but I wasn't too worried.

The smell is very strong and I can't put my finger on exactly what's going on. Definitely some citrus...maybe some apricot and some spices. Not sure if the spice aroma is all yeast or if they use actual spices as well but it is a beautiful bouquet. Maybe some bubblegum and clove in there somewhere.

Taste is a bit malty and really fruity like apricots or something like that, a little pear action as well. Really tasty and as you breath in it all just works so good together.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Saison which is on the thin side typically and dry in the finish. This yeast have clearly been coaxed by the brewer to eat as many sugars as possible! This one definitely finish's dry but also makes your mouth water bringing you in for another sip. Carbonation is on the high end which is perfect.

Overall- I can't think of a better example of the style. It's like reading the style guidelines for a Saison word for word. If I was stuck on an island and could only choose one beer for the rest of my life...it might be this one. The yeast flavors don't really hit Saison head on for me...and I think they might dry it out with the sugar rather then a traditional Saison yeast...but it just all works so damn good together.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared with the wife last night on a scorching hot day.

Pours golden yellow, retained a pretty good head. Someone please tell me this beer doesn't look like a urine specimen?

Smell is a bit off-putting, a little bit too yeasty for me. It's not terribly different from the smell of baseball stadium beer, and that's not a good thing.

The taste is somewhat floral, with hints of citrus and breakfast spices in there. Not bad, certainly easy to drink, but also somehow a little bit thin and watery. I know this is not supposed to be a big beer, but there could have been more here.

Quite fizzy in the mouth, but saison's are pretty fizzy. Mission accomplished on Ommegang's part, I guess.

Certainly, this is not bad, but I'm evidently not part of the adoring crowd this beer has. Frankly, I gotta be honest, compared to the "best of the worst" of the macro-brews, stuff like Leinie's, Rolling Rock, I cannot say that Hennepin is better than those beers by an order of magnitude.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

This is just a really solid local beer for me. Brewed in the same casks they used to brew duvel in as they were shipped over to ny from belgium. Some people get turned off from this beer do to the very floral smell and taste and high alchohol. Side note this beer makes me sleepy if i drink it early on in the day.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Psyched to get an ultra fresh sample right near the brewery. Poured into my glass with huge head. Big white puffy foam. Lingered on the glass. Great nose of yeast and spice. Beautiful bouquet. Really charges in dry at the end. I like this beer. Way better than the other one I had.

HENNEPIN GOES FOR THE WIN AND HENNEWINS

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Pours a huge white head with a ton of retention and great lacing. Slightly cloudy with lots of carbonation throughout.

S- Fruity and spicy with bubblegum, clove and pepper all being dominant.

T- Crisp apple and pear sweetness up front fading to mild bitterness and an herbal spicy character.

M- Dry with a bit of a thickness, pretty average for the style but I enjoy it.

D- This is a good saison, there is some nice complexity but I would like it if the hops were a touch more subdued and the yeast flavors higher.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

When I first started expanding my palette,
this & Tank 7 were my first Saisons
Happy to revisit.
12oz -> Hennepin Chalice

A ~ Pour a very pale gold with l i v e l y carbonation with a tower of meringue head with a slight haze but overall good clarity. Lacing for days!

S ~ Fresh wheat, rolled oats, Lemon jelly, White grapes, & a hint of musty wet-blanket aromas. Classic.

T ~ Nice does of lemon/lemon peel, orange slices, strawberry jelly, yeast-bread, apricot & tart white grapes. Hints of white pepper, allspice & cassia.

M ~ Semi-sweet & fruity with a wonderful dry lemon quality. Takes on more spice after warming.

D ~ Very easy to drink like a tame chardonnay with soft carbonation, as well as a perfect middle-ground ABV for the style. Nice pricepoint as well for a 4-pack over a 750. I need to stop overlooking & visit more from Ommegang.

prost!

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a SA snifter glass.

Pours a bright clean hazy golden yellow with a fist of head that settles to a steady 1 finger reach. Smells of big citrus, lemons, orange peels, grapes, bananas, with the familiar Belgian yeast flavors, loaded with lots of spice characters. Pale banana and citrus malt fill the tongue, nice mild cloves and ginger spices float around. Light on the body, medium carbonation, leaves the mouth slightly bitter with a nice zesty dry feeling that begs for another delicious sip. This is a wonderful saison that can be enjoyed anytime of the year, everything works on this beer. Total home run. cheers.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass, bottled on 1/17/2011, best before 01/2013.

This pours a yeast hazy light yellow / straw color with a large white foamy head which ends up being about a finger in width and leaves a slight lacing. The smell is of belgium yeast esters, a little clove and citrus. The mouth feel is light to medium with lots of carbonation. The taste is complicated, its yeasty sweet at first, citrus, lemon, and then it ends with a nice slight hoppy, spicy, peppery, dry finish, very refreshing. This is actually my first Saison and I love it, this is much more of a good summer drink for my tastes than the SA / Brooklyn summer ales. Good stuff.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass

A- Pours a beautiful hazy pale golden color with an incredible four finger rocky, pillowy head that leaves lots of chunky lacing. Perfect looking Belgian-style beer.

S- Apple, orange peel, spice, and biscuity aroma

T- Lemon, lots of spice, pepper honey, biscuit. Has quite an assertive bitterness for a saison and the alcohol shows up some. No funk in the taste at all.

M- Very crisp, goes down smooth with a little alcohol warming, pretty good carbonation

O- This saison was pretty good, although too much spice and pepper and no detectable funk made this beer a little bit of a disappointment for me. A well-crafted beer that I enjoyed, but not quite what I was expecting.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer. Nashville.

Pours a hazed straw-gold with a fluffy one-finger head. Moderate retention with slightly sticky lace (lasted about half the glass).

The nose is mostly a malty mix of crackers and honey-drizzled biscuits with more lemony and straw tones. There's the expected spice and barnyardy funk, but it's real restrained compared to some other Saisons I've had. Smell is real reminiscent of those honey-lemon cough drops, but totally in a good way.

The palate mirrors the nose pretty closely- a creamy rush of malt with vanilla overtones to the continued theme of honey, lemon and straw. The hoppiness is light and floral/noble with a very mild bitterness, while the finish is mouthwateringly dry. Again, restrained spice.

A very delicious brew. Not as interesting as I had hoped- by that I mean I wished perhaps for more spice and funk. But it does show consistency with my other Ommegang experiences- delicious and approachable Belgian-style brews with an unbeatable price-point being domestic and all.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased recently at frontier liquors Green River Rd location. No freshness date on bottle. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Hazy yellow with some hints of orange. Thick fluffy white head which leaves extensive lacing. Tiny bubbles floating up from the bottom like a sparkling wine.

S - Citrus aroma and some herbal and belgian yeast notes. Some wheat smell as well.

T - Bread, caramel and belgian yeast flavors with a nice tart lemon finish

M - Medium body with generous carbonation

I really enjoyed this beer. Very easy drinking. Hides the alcohol well. I like the style and this is a great example. Will definitely have again. Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A -A light golden color with a finger of head came from a vicious pour. The head was many small popping bubbles that appeared highly carbonated.

S - Honey, coriander, grassy

T - Citrusy, pineapple, and lemon at first, followed by light malt and honey. A very minor spice and hop finish

M - light and very carbonated

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Had at the Love Apple in Taos, NM. 12oz. bottle poured in a pint glass.

A: Pours a very hazy light straw color. A very big head even with a careful pour. Nice retention and some splotchy lace.

S: Big yeast with coriander and clove. The bubblegum effect for this spiced brew.

T: Lighter yeasty on the tongue, not as pronounced as the nose. Has a citrus fruit like quality to it with some peels. Light coriander and some peppery notes. Very balanced.

M: Medium bodied with a filmy yeast feel. Nicely carbonated as well.

O: A very nice saison. Big on the yeast and solid on the citrus.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Reviewed from notes...

Poured into a Snifter.

Appearance-Hazy yellow with a 4 finger white head, very bright. Not so good retention or lacing.

Smell-Grainy and Grassy with some light citrus.

Taste-Better then the aroma. I got a nice amount of grapefruit and some lemon citrus. Finish is sweet and tangy.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Can pick up some light booze.

Overall-Good beer, not outstanding. A little too sweet on the finish to drink that much at once. Could use a little more hops. Still a good beer that I would drink again.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

first time i had an american version of this style i was able to find this at the buy rite by the holland tunnell pretty decent price too only $5.99 not bad

i poured this beer into a goblet glass at home it was very well carbonated and the head looked like a bunch of shaving cream on the top kind of like a root beer float

the taste was actually kind of sweet but not in an annoying way more in a gentle way, there was lots of spice on the back end though

it came on strong in the finish with good carbonation and mouthfeel

overall i think this beer is an awesome summer quencher it proved to me there are good domestic examples as well

A- Pours a nice lemon color with a 2 finger fluffy head

S- has a nice lemon aroma, also picking up some grassy aromatics. maybe some honeydew as well

T- HAs a nice yeasty beginning followed by a banana flavor that i did not get in the nose. Finishs with a nice acidity.

M-Light to medium bodied. Good carbonation

D-overall this was a nice saison. Had nice earthy yeasty flavor as long as good citrus flavor. Very easy to drink. I dont no how much i will seek this out again but wont ever turn down having a glass of this one.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoyed this Brew on-tap at the Bodega in La Crosse, WI

A: Gorgeous pale dandelion yellow, with small grayish head that leaves faint trails of lace

S: Citrus, honeysuckle, coriander, overall very floral with traces of grains

T: Lots of cool flavors: ginger, hibiscus tea, pineapple, great balance of hoppy flavor, pale malts, and citrus. Finishes fairly sweet and ends with an excellent dry finish

D: It's as good as sunshine. The overall balance of the brew is dialed in to perfection. Definitely did not disappoint Ommegang!

Hennepin from Brewery Ommegang