Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,152 | Ratings: 5,915
4.13/5  rDev -1%

Served from a 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance -- Hazy light gold in color with a tall frothy white head, reminiscent of a cloud.

Smell -- Smells like a clear early summer day. Kind of floral . . . a lot of life. Complex.

Taste -- Semi-fruity and earthy. Very nice.

Mouthfeel -- Nice carbonation; very pleasant mouthfeel.

Drinkability -- Quite quaffable. This is one I'll be seeking out on a regular basis. This is my first Ommegang product and I like it very much. You get a lot of value for the price you pay. I cannot believe this is made in New York. It totally feels like it's from Belgium. Great stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer pours a light, mild golden yellow with a bit of smooth white head sustained by a stream of bubbles from the bottom of the chalice. Smells of caramel and spicy yeast with a wonderful sour grape smell. The flavor is dominated by an amazing musky yeast and malt that are beyond my vocabulary, but I must try none the less. There’s a mossy anis-like yeast that just grooves with my palate and a green grass undertone. There’s also an obscured foundation of sweet grains that taste like oats and wheat. Light airy bubbles seem to unlock a hint of mandarin oranges and a very subtle dry piney hops. The mouth feel was medium bodied with an unobtrusive carbonation. Absolutely amazing. I just couldn’t/can’t believe that this is made in New York. Highly recommended.

Pours a very hazy golden, huge white head forms, good retention and lots of lace. Smell is sweet, honey, some cork, wheat, citrus, spice and yeast. Taste is sweet with notes of honey, spice, very malty, wheat, caramel and yeast. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Good beer but I don't think I'd put it in the top 100.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

Where to begin... The presentation of this beer is stunning! It's corked and caged in a brown, round-lipped bottle that is incredibly classy for the low price. A very cautious uncorking releases pressure with a crack and swirly haze rises from the mouth of the bottle like in a mad scientist's lab. The anticipation nearly kills me...

Hennepin pours into my tulip glass a glowing orange with an off-white head of large bubbles that builds rapidly (I love you, tulip) and surprises me with its retention, forming chunky mountains that fade only when I get them all over my face for the first sip. Rising columns of tiny bubbles mark the depths of this slightly opaque beer. Lacing clings completely like spackle. Very enticing indeed.

The smell is very small... I'm lucky to catch a couple of tiny, seductive notes of alcohol and roasted nuts... A few things whizz past too fast for me to really make them out? Definitely enticing, but not exactly pungent.

Taking a deep sip sets the tip of my tongue off, huge sweetness helped by swishy carbonation, a balanced middle... A caress of flavors on the back of the tongue... It's VERY well-balanced and not too sweet or bitter. Citrus, honey, slightly metallic notes, just a little tart.

Mouthfeel is pretty unreal. There's a very, very thin caramel left by those swishy bubbles of carbonation; A medium body that in my opinion is too good to be true. Alcohol warms the back of the tongue and immediately sets off good feelings in my belly. This beer does 7.5%abv as well as I could ever hope. I can barely taste it, but the effects relax my muscles and stimulate my mind. No booziness. Drinkability is superb.. I think I might drink the whole bottle. I think this beer gets the highest scoring of those I've rated here so far.

The way this beer is presented and tastes, I could easily be fooled into thinking it's a $15 Belgian import. $5.69, are you kidding me? Unreal!

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

This is the first beer I ever had that is a saison, and one of the first that turned me on to craft brews. It was served to me in the city, and it showed me that beer didn't have to be chugged down in mass quantities to be enjoyed. 4 years later, it still remains a wonderful brew and quite interesting to the touch and smell...

It poured a wonderful goldenrod, with a head that filled up the remaning space in my good ol' pint glass. Very cloudy, especially after I swirled the yeast that settled on the bottom of the bottle and added it to the beer that was already out. The taste is enjoyable - lots of bread, yeast, citrus, floral, and metallic notes combine for a mellow and dry taste. Not a lot of bitterness here, but it has a very European tone to it and it became more and more enjoyable as it warmed up throughout my drinking session. The lacing was wonderful too - the bubbles on the side of my pint glass are practically defying gravity, even as I take a few minutes in between sips!

I recently had the Southampton Cuvee Des Fluers at David Copperfield's in New York City, and I feel that their offering and this brew would do a lot to expand the average beer drinkers horizons. The only thing that I would wish for regarding Hennepin is that it would be more readily available in my neck of the woods. I believe the effort to increase it's exposure would be well worth it in the end. Highly recommended!

3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

750 ml bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a hint of orange hue to it. Translucent but hazy. Nice head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Very sweet malty smell with lots of citrus and surprisingly yeasty and bready.

Taste: Sweet malts, bread, a bit too much yeastyness (for me), citrus, and bit of wheat. Very good. Not my favorite flavor for a Saison, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied highly carbonated beer. Crisp finish feels refreshing.

Drinkability: Though Saison may not be my favorite style and this is not my favorite Saison it is still very drinkable and a 'classy' beer that is good to impress with. It is quite drinkable and worthy of a justifiable occasion from time to time.

Hope this is helpful.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

This nice, corked, 750 mL bottle paired nicely with the Christmas turkey and stuffing.

A: Carefully decanted: Very clear, pilsner-like straw/yellow in colour. Tons of fluffy white head, not much retention, but leaves a nice lace. Mix up the yeast sediment and it becomes quite murky.

S: Earthy, spicy and bready.

T: Spicy, earthy, bready. Slightly bitter, with a hint of tartness in the aftertaste. Mix up the yeast sediment and the earthy flavour is really intensified. The flavours are very light, but still offer some depth and complexity. Very nice.

M: Moderate body, fairly high carbonation.

D: Quite good.

3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a lemony golden orange mix of color with a one finger foamy white head.

S: Aromas have mango, orange, kiwi, pineapple, lemon, citrusy. Tons of smells that all blend into each other. I got all those different aromas on different sniffs.

T: Spicy and hoppy with a tang of lemon.

M & D: Mouthfeel is nice with a good level of carbonation that may seem overpowering at first but isn't that bad and has a very nice smoothness. Light feel that leaves a refreshing taste in your mouth.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I had a 16 oz bottle sitting in my beer closet for about six months, and broke it out this weekend, on the coldest day of the season for a taste of summer.

Damn. It was a bit hot when it was young, but holy moly does it age well. An elixer of summer, just a magical brew.

Clear golden, with a huge fat puffy head that looks like merangue. As it settled large bubbles in the head popped, leaving a jagged landscape of head. Spicy and tart smelling, but it tastes like summer. Clean and crisp, light and airy, grassy and spicy yeast with a touch of fruit. The time alone in the dark really helped this one, calmed the alchohol and melded things perfectly. I found it a little hot before, but now, damn.

Light and airy, with just a hint of spice from the yeast, this one is a really special beer, mellow, full of subtle flavor. Get some, store some, love some.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden yellow ale with a huge bubbly white head with above standard retention. Aroma of pear and lemon with some distinguishable yeast. Taste is really hoppier then most Saison I have tried with a dry finish. Body is quite full and spice mix is interesting but could have been more accentuated. Very interesting take on the style.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Poured from the bottle into a wide mouthed goblet.

Appearance: This beer looks fantastic in the goblet. The beer is a somewhat hazy golden coloration. The head towered in the glass a solid off white. The lacing clung like pancake batter on the glass. Very tight bubbles noted breaking the surface.

Smell: Very spicy hoppy smell. Lots of peppery spicyness plays with fruity goodness. Floral notes play with citrus. There is a nice musty spicy yeasty notes. A very nice funky smell plays around the nose.

Taste: There is an initial floral citrusy sweetness on initial taste. There is plenty of spicy funky notes in the flavor. Very nicely hopped and malted.

Mouthfeel: This beer is meduim bodied plus. There is loads of carbonation in this beer. The finish is dry and leaves you wanting more beer.

Drinkability: This is just an easy to drink beer. Pure drinking pleasure through and through.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Very nice amber/golden color with a great fluffy off white head. Vinuous and earthy aroma-heavy yeast and spices. Big malt flavor. Extremely spicy-peppery and a sour grapefruitiness to it. Earthy as all get out-almost dirt like in spots. Fairly dry finish to it. I dont really care for the mouthfeel-its too bright and fizzy to me, though it lessens as the beer warms. Even some of the highly carbonated triples arent this fizzy. Overall a very drinkable beer. Ommegang certainly gets high marks from me. They really got a good thing going on.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer!! Bought two of these, one for now, one for later. Pours a hazy yellow color, thick white head. Smells a bit yeasty and fruity. Taste, wow!! A nice blend of some dried fruit, alcohol, fresh bread and bitterness. A bit strong but not overpowering. Something you want to relax with on a weekend night.

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

Glowing, frosted looking/hazy pale gold with spectacular head that lasts. Iridescent. Clumpy milk whtie lace all over the glass. One of the best looking very light/pale beers I've seen. Radient glow happening here. Aroma is extremely pleasant + delectable. Soft aromatic spice, pepper, ginger...etc blended amazingly well. Taste is in the same boat. The taste is perfectly mouth watering as is the smell. Everything is really subtle yet really awesome. Mouth is sticky and makes you want more. Drinkability is through the roof.

This is one sick brew, one of my favorites. A+++

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

One of the better beers i've had from the Saison style. Pours out to a slighly cloudy golden color with a nice head of white foam. High level of carbonation. Aromas of earth and barnhouse are strong, with some sweet malts and spice notes. Taste is very quaffable; flavors of malts, volatile yeast, sweet grain and mild corn are present and blend quite well. I have to say, this beer gets better as it slightly warms. Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, going down far too easy for the higher ABV that it possesses. Drinkability is good. I really like this beer, and considering i'm not a big fan of the style, it's very good. Highly recommended for the style.

750 mL, caged and corked. "Cave-aged" in Howe Caverns for 8 months; released October 8, 2005 and aged in my cellar for another two months. Bottle doesn't look any different than the regular "non-cave-aged" stuff, except there's a hangtag proclaiming that it sat 156 feet underground, etc. and there's a bunch of fuzzy cobwebby stuff and dust on the outside of the bottle. Hazy golden orange with massive, beautiful egg-white head that meringues and leaves an incredible webby lacing all the way down the sides of my Ommegang cervoise. Aroma is yeasty, bitter citrus peel, fresh apple juice, vanilla. Spicy, earthy, and fruity flavors abound. A bit vinous at the back of the palate. Granny Smith apples and newly-mown grass. Mellow ginger spiciness, yeast, and a lingering aftertaste of peach cobbler with vanilla and powdered ginger. Medium body; creamy smooth and dry for so much pronounced fruit flavor. This is one of my all time favorite beers from an all time favorite brewery. Saisons are all pretty unique (at least the ones I've tried), so it's a bit risky to say which one is "the Best." However, Hennepin, whether cave-aged or not, is absolutely one of the finest examples of the style in the world and easily the best Saison produced in the U.S. Difficult to imagine anyone pulling it off better than this. Fives all around.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

This brew pours a translucent amber with a decent head that fades without lacing the glass too much.

The smell is a little pungent and peppery.

The taste is pretty incredible. There are flavors of lemon and tart fruits. Pepper and spice with a bite of hops. Quite a bit of complexity with a sharp mouthfeel. The drinkablity is unreal. It is as great on a summer afternoon as it is on a cold winter day. I can honestly say I have never regretted opening one of these up. An incredible beer.

A great saison, and I would heartily reccomend it.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Looks- Pours hazy yellow, with a golden shine when backlit. The offwhite bubbly head eases down to lace rings after a quick exit from the bottle.

Nose- Hearty yeast, with hints of orange zest. Not to mention the ever popular funk that makes this style so unique. A little bit of pepper aroma in there, too.

Taste&Mouthfeel- Peppery spice with a dash of cinnamon. Fruity sweetness and a doughy yeast presence all combine to make an excellent beer. Lightly carbonated and easily drank.

Overall, really one of the best beer experiences I've had in awhile. The total package. it does everything perfectly stylewise, but still remains extremely accessible. From the Elk Grove BevMo.

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours an opaque straw with lots of head and carbonation (though this may have been because of how it was stored). The foam leaves a nice lacing and clumps well. The bouquet is sweet and earthy: scents of coriander, bread dough, and pepper.

Similarly, the flavor itself is a wonderful mix of sweet and dry. The initial taste of pear was followed by a bitter dryness and then a smoothing sweetness, which was dominated by coriander and citrus flavors. In some ways, I was surprised by how sweet this was compared to other saisons I've had...at times I could have been convinced that this was a witbier/saison hybrid. But, the consistent dryness and earthy flavors (nuts, leaves) in the aftertaste keep this grounded in the realm of the farmhouse, albeit a slightly sweeter and more light-bodied one than I've
experienced in the past.

The balance and light-body made this very refreshing and quite drinkable. A delicious beer all-around.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, corked and caged

Pours a nice straw yellowed hue and makes an inch of densely bubbled white head into my petrus goblet. Sweet aroma, filled with banana, coriander & cloves. Sweet bready flavor with notes of light fruits, peppery spice, medium hop bittering, banana. Bit of alcoholic bite. I really am enjoying this. Mouthfeel opens with a peppery carbonation but as the bottle warms it becomes velvety smooth and finishes dry. This is an awesome saison considering how easy it is to get. Definitely will be a staple in my beer fridge.

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Pours hazy golden with a huge white head tat leaves perfect lace.

Banana esters dominate the smell, also some hearty yeast notes.

Lightly spicy flavor, huge ester notes. Leaves a rich yeastiness behind.

Full wheat body, very nice, drinkable food pairing beer.

So this is the much vaulted Saison -- I don't hate it. I specify that because in the past I have found spiced beers unpalatable, and I had been specifically avoiding this style for that reason. Evidently, when spices are placed the in hands of a master brewer, they don't suck.
This beer pours like Dreadnaught, a hazy straw colour with a generous head. It smells, like a beer. By that I mean, it smells similar to a variety of continental pils, a pleasant smell indeed.
The taste follows the smell. It is simple and subtle. It actually reminds me of a Grolsch; however there is an ethereal taste, something I can't place my finger on. Similar to bubblegum, actually. That's good.
Ohhh, as it warms some more flavours come out. It loses the Grolsch quality and grains a granular flavour. Not bad. Is that corriander? Not sure. I'm not one to pick out spices. But, yeah, this is a good beer.

Oh wow. 7.7% is what it says on the bottle. Well hidden, well hidden indeed.

Makes me actually want to try other Saison-style beers. Maybe Belgium makes something worth consuming other than french fries. . .

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Popped a bottle with my "Turkey Day" dinner.

Poured a bright golden yellow. Nice thick foamy white head, lots of carbonation.

Very nice fruity smells of lemon and clove and a breadlike scent.

Crisp, very clean light texture. Sweet honey flavor followed by a yeasty lemon tartness in the finish. Very nice smooth and drinkable. Head reduces to fizzy bubbles as I drink. No overpowering flavors so it complimented my meal very well.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

750 ml bottle. Poured into a flute, which seemed appropriate.

Not sure if it was the glassware choice, but this really looked like champagne. Light in color with a large white head. Extrememely effervescent - again, like champagne. Smells nice - very rustic.

I admit to not being such a fan of the saison style, but I will do my best to rate this beer objectively. It went down very easy, but I felt the fruit was a bit too tart for my taste. Pears, pineapple, bananas, etc. are all very apparant, however I felt none of the sweetness of the fruit was incorporated. The aftertaste was very much like a dry champagne. Goes down very easy.

All in all, I think it is a fine example of the style, but certainly not my thing. But if you love saisons, you have to give this one a try.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 750 ml brown, corked, bottle into an Orval Chalice.

Appearance is orangish-golden color, and very clear. Abundantly bubbly carbonation, and head is a thin, sparkly, off-white, pinkish layer.

Aroma is malt, citrus fruit, some floral aspects. Very mild and pleasing aroma.

Taste is mild and pleasing as well, a quality drinker. Hard to believe this is brewed in new york, as it screams Import.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang