Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,153 | Ratings: 5,916
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I find that Saison's tend to be hit or miss; though when they have hit, they've hit like Tyson in the 90's.

A: Pours a bright gold with a massive white head that remains for quite awhile. It's appearance reminds me somewhat of Duvel.

S: Holy cow, it even smells like Duvel. Hints of pear and sugar, along with subtle hops. I wonder if Ommegang uses the same hops as Duvel uses.(Styrian Golding, perhaps?)

T: A bouquet of citrus and sugar with a tart aftertaste. Some mild bread as well. I remember the first time I had this brew and didn't exactly love it. I suppose things have changed. Amazing!

M: Well carbonated with a dry prickly finish. Almost seems to finish exactly like I recall Duvel's finish. While they are different styles (Begian Strong versus Saison) I imagine using the same hops is obviously going to make them seem similar.

D: This is a fantastic brew that can be enjoyed in a limited session. For some reason, there is a huge difference between drinking this in the bottle versus pouring into a glass. I had drank this once just in bottle form, and for whatever reason, pouring it into the glass was so much better. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a nice hazy yellow color. The head on this one is the best I've seen on a Saison/Farmhouse. Thick, creamy 3 finger head that sticks to the glass. The aroma is spot on. Ripe fruit comes to mind first, kiwi, bannana, green apple, and peach. You also get some nice bread/dough flavors in there as well. The taste follows the nose almost exactly. I love the fruit you get with this beer. There is a slight funk that is going on too. Musty like flavors on the finish. Overall, I loved this beer. Right up there with my favorite saisons.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Fills my glass cloudy and pale gold in hue, topped by an intimidating white head. Strong aroma involving fruits, bready pale malts, yeast, a little spice, and some citrous hops. Taste is bold and complex. Bready malt jumps out quickly, before bitter lemons and citrous rinds attack the tongue. Some caramel-like sweetness dances with spice, but there is an underlying creaminess. Mouthfeel is pretty full, but crisp carbonation and the zesty hops really blast inside the mouth. Finishes just like it begins, but leaving a very enjoyable long lasting aftertaste with some fruity yeasty character to it. Overall a bitter impression is left on my palate.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

second review of this fine example of a saison....
appearance - poured with 2 fingers left which produced a clear, golden color with an amazing head. Great white head.
Smell - I made sure that I didn't make the bottle gulp, witch achieved that great floral smell that I love. Even my wife thought it has a great smell.
Taste - Crisp, good balance. I think pears or ginger and citrus. Slight pepper and yeasty.
Mouthfeel - this bottle had excellent carbonation, so it goes done easy. Which leads me into drinkability.
Easy to drink and easy to get drunk off of it!
Kick ass beer!!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I have recently discovered the Saison/Farmhouse style and have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to have a bottle of Hennepin. I've heard many people rave about this beer but have always turned the other way as I naively claimed not go like "Belgians" (style)

Now that I've discovered that I do enjoy Saison's I knew it was time to break out a Hennepin.

I was not disappointed.

I enjoyed this in a large wine glass which showed off this beautiful beer. The beer poured a hazy/cloudy gold with a pillowy white head that was about a finger thick. The head quickly settled to a thin white film across the top of the beer. Beer was too cloudy to see any carbonation at all. I good looking beer indeed.

Aroma was wonder and fresh. There were some earthly tones as well as some slight spice notes. Also coming through was a nice light fruit aroma. Very light, fresh and inviting.

Taste was even better than the delightful aroma. Perfectly balanced from to back. I detect a fruity flavor but could not really pinpoint a specific fruit, perhaps pear. I really enjoy the peppery flavor that seems to stay just delicately in the background. More like white pepper. Finally, you can detect some earthiness that accompanies the hop finish.

Really nice, a new fan is born.

A slight carbonation brought the flavor to life on your tongue. The mouth feel was light and refreshing while the flavor was crisp and bold. It's so drinkable that I hope my wife does not enjoy the glass I poured for her. So silky smooth and inviting.

I can see why this such a sought after brew. I am glad that I will now make this a staple during the Saison season. Awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A slightly hazy pale golden body supports a towering, rocky, cotton white head. Muy nice. Nose is very floral and intoxicating. I'm also picking up banana-ish esters, pepper, candyish fruit malts, and yeast. Yum. Spicy, almost-bitter floral hops up front, that are accenuated with a lively carbonated spritzy feel. Rounds into a yeast-accented malt tang, with the bitterness remaining. Estery fruits and light candy sweetness swell into the finish, which is long, and strong with both sweet fruits/yeast and floral bitterness. Surprisingly full-bodied ale that has just the right amount of carbonation. One of the best US-made Belgian ales I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

pours yellow cloudy with a thick fluffy white head. very pleasing and really quite tempting on a warm day.

smell is grassy funk, with a malt backbone and a slight hop nose.

taste is quite pleasant and spicy, a small malt supports a nice hop bitterness and a grassy and slightly citrusy (pineapple) hop. really quite magnificent.

mouth is crisp with a slight bite in the body and a clean finish, This beer drinks way too easy for the ABV. Definitely buying this one again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A-Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a HUGE foamy head.

S- Sweet, honey, fruity esters. Bready sweet with a faint alcohol note. Excellent!

T- Dry and slightly tart. A subtle sweet fruitiness with a hint of honey. A little yeasty and peppery in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth and full bodied. Carbonation tingles the tongue.

D- Excellent! This is good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Pours a hazy pale straw. Huge 2 finger frothy bone white head.

S - Peppery fruit - bitter oranges, lemons, bananas, tart Belgain yeast, grassy hay, wet barnyard dust.

T - Spicy funky yeast, musty nuttiness, sour tart fruit-apples, pears, soured grain bread, green earthy bitterness.

M - Creamy and full bodied. One of my favorite aspects of this beer.

This is the beer that made me fall in love with this style. While I respect the the Saisons from Belgian, this is one of my favorites. It envelopes every aroma, flavor, and feel of what my dream Saison is suppose to taste like.
My first sip of this glorious beer was on-tap and it was slightly better IMO.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a light golden-colored body that is only a little hazy. Even with a careful pour, the glass fills with a huge, fluffy, white head that retains very well and leaves a little lacing.

Potent aroma. It's funky, for sure. An earthy aroma blended with some apple and pear, that finishes with some peppery spice.

In the flavor, the funkiness is greatly diminished, favoring a much heavier emphasis on the peppery spice. A light fruitiness is secondary with a light hop note in the background. Very tasty.

Light to medium mouthfeel that finishes very crisply. Very drinkable. Light enough to enjoy on a hot day, yet would be flavorful enough to combine with a meal.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a .750 L bottle purchased at the Whole Foods in downtown, Sarasota into a tall, wide-mouthed glass.

Appearance: A fierce head, billowy, rocky, that fades slowly. Crusty, jagged, foamy lacing. Lively carbonation dances up through a beautiful straw golden body - it lasts to the bitter end of this gorgeous brew.

Smell: Rich, deep grainy aroma intertwined with spicy, fresh, lemony esters and a funky, earthy yeast scent. It's sweet, but also musty, and oh so mild.

Taste: Sweet and grassy grain notes are in the foreground, with a slight hop bitterness and a hint of peppery alcohol in the tail. Mild fruity notes - not just citrus, but something else as well, banana esters perhaps - mingle with earthy, musty nuttiness and spice notes imparted by the yeast. There's quite a lot going on here, and it's all divine.

Mouthfeel: Slick, but crisp, with a medium body, and a good carbonation profile.

Drinkability: Stellar. It went so well with the sharp cheddar mac'n'cheese, I ended up drinking practically the entire bottle on my own and was only mildly tipsy. There's enough going on in this raw, complex beer that it can be enjoyed any number of ways.

Forget wine - bring a .750 L bottle of Hennepin to your next dinner party. Very pleased that this is a domestic brew - it tastes decidedly Belgian.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Had on tap at Pizza Luce in MPLS.

A- A very gold colored beer, nice head and retention.

S- Smells very nice, it has a nice spicy smell with a slight grainy smell.

T- Nice zesty spice taste, best way to describe it.

M- Great mouthfeel, carbonated nicely and very sessionable.

D- This beer is extremely drinkable on a warm day, one of the best, if not the best, saison I have ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured according to bottle instructions into tulip which produced significant head that dissipated slowly with great lacing. Straw color with slight cloudiness. Streaming bubbles from bottom of tulip exactly like champagne. Never seen that before.

Great smell, banana, citrus, bready. Unbelievable taste, just enough funk/sour to give it an amazing character. I've never had a beer quite like this, can't wait to have another.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a big foamy head that lasts for a bit. Moderate lacing. Big aroma of grapefruit and citrus, with notes of yeast. The taste follows the aroma, along with a fair amount of sweetness and spice. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is such a good saison. It leaves me thinking of warmer weather and hoping for another glass soon.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very tasty farmhouse ale / saison. It was a delicious beer that was full-bodied and had some wonderful notes of orange peel, sweet malt and just a touch of ginger and coriander on the finish.
Had a little too much, large foamy white head and carbonation.
This is a wonderful representation though as to what a high quality farmhouse saison should be like.
Love it!

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

In a way, I think this is the beer that really introduced me to craft beer...this was something I knew nothing about, picked up on a whim, and just plain fell in love with. Figured it was time for a proper review...

Pours a clear bright golden color, an absolute monster white head forms, diminishing very slowly and leaving a lot of lacing in the glass. Really soft pepper in the nose, nothing too bracing, yeasty, and plenty of lemon aroma. Taste follows the nose, with some clove and pear notes, and a faint grassy hop presence. Really clean finish, medium-bodied, and refreshing as hell. Just a total classic, and one of those beers that should always be in my fridge....in fact, from now on, it will always be there, if anyone wants to check up on me.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

So, I'm kicking my own ass for not trying this earlier. Its a fairly accessible brew around my parts and I've passed it over time and time again.... I won't make that mistake again..

Beautiful pale yellow appearance with a huge fluffy foamy head that never goes away...

Aroma is a yeasty funky citrusy wonderful thing... A little banana presents itself as well...

Damn, this is just terrific... Slightly citrusy and hoppy but also yeasty and funky at the same time... I grilled steaks while enjoying these and its a terrific summer brew... Sessionable? Not by me... The 7% will get you..

I will be getting and keeping this one from now on... This will be a new staple for me..

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle that reads "Product of Belgium" on the label into my Ommegang Witte tumbler, because I already managed to break my Hennepin flute.

My first BA review, of the beer that got me to pay attention, so if I sound ignorant it's because I am.

A--Color matches the logo and "Worth the Wheat" slogan on my glass, basically a tawny more gold than yellow wheat. Good sized head that's more foamy than fizzy with some lacing.

S--My weakest category. To me it smelled mostly funky barnhouse, with a little piney citrus sharpness. Like a used horse blanket sprayed with Pledge.

T--The biggest thing I noticed was a hot spiciness that wasn't from hops, though I can feel in the backend a sharp pine bite from them. Took me a while to get the taste but I think it's like ginger, or candied ginger, as there's a mellow sweetness that rounds it out first. Beginning of the swish in my mouth was more yeast than anything, with some grassiness, too.

M--Medium with a little more carbonation than I like. Definitely smooth with a little chewiness.

Great drinkability for a humid day in that oxymoron of places, the Brooklyn backyard. Went great with a slice of tomato pie. This beer got it all started for me, and while I've moved on somewhat, I've got much respect for it. Hope I gave it its due without sounding like a complete moron.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours with a nice billowing white head, rising to 2 1/2 fingers, settling down to 1/8", laces all the way with the glass. The smell of this one is sweet, mostly malt with some fruity hints and a bit of alcohol and floral hops. The taste is very nice, fruit and a lot of malt up front a bit of grain in the middle and a nice hop kick at the end. The feel of this one is the best I have had, like liquid velvet. Smooth but robust and full, creamy but not overbearing, with a well balanced carbonation that tingles just right...very well done. Overall this is one that will take permanate residence in my chiller. A nice .750 to have on hand for nights with friends and nights at home.

Review edit...I tried this one initally over chilled. As the beer warms it unlocks hidden smells and flavors that are not present when cooler in temp. There is a sweeter more pronounced body and more hop character when warm, the boquet also opens up to a more spicy oroganic nose, with a definite yeast presence that envokes a bananna aroma that should make chaquita jealous.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into a TeKu glass. Appearance is an opaque dark yellow with a luxurious white head of long-lasting foam. Picked up the aromas of orange peel and coriander right away. Taste is what you would expect from a farmhouse saison, with quite a bit of intensity from the spices and orange. Nicely balanced. I have come to appreciate this style, and Hennepin exemplifies it very well.

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with 2 fingers of head

Smell - a tart smell with spices mixed in, a very unique beer

Taste - goodness with a citrus blend

Mouthfeel - very smooth with moderate carbination

Drinkability - very drinkable, Im in love