Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang

2.24/5  rDev -46.3%

2.25/5  rDev -46%

2.25/5  rDev -46%

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Big bottle (22oz?) with champagne cork. Pours beautiful dark yellow with big frothy white head. Tons of complex aroma that sends your nose working overtime to figure out what exactly you are getting into here.

Pretty sweet, too sweet for me, but ton of other spicy, fruity, floral stuff going on for balance also. Bottle doesn't mention anything about spices, but hard to imagine all of these flavors being created by just the yeast.

Flavors changed as it warmed. It took me a while to drink it, was definitely better warmer. Overall way too sweet to me. I'm new to the style, but drinkability was tough cuz of the overly sweet finish. I' going to try some more saisons, but not this one again.

2.42/5  rDev -42%

hmm... This beer is hard to review. This doesn't have much of the characteristics that I've come to expect in a saision. I've tasted this beer three times and am ready to review it now.

Pours a golden color with a big head.

Aroma mostly reminded me of a pilsner or perhaps a weak pale ale. Not enough esters, funk or spice to do the style justice.

Taste is clean and refreshing and has some estery fruits but for the most part was just a decent beer that was a bit boring.

Quenches the thirst but nothing worth seeking out.

/ I love ommegang 3p and abbey ale. This offering is just weak in comparison.

2.52/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I can't get into the taste of this beer. aside from the look and the alcohol percentage there's nothing good about this beer in my opinion, just not my style of beer.

2.53/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not to be the spoiler of fun, I'm just not a fan of this particular beer. The first time I had it, I liked it, but I have had many since then and haven't liked it much at all.
It pours into the glass a hazy orangish yellow with a huge head. I tried to control it, but it was like racing a car on ice with a blown tire, I couldn't win. But it does give the drinker a decent chance to smell of what he/she is drinking. The smell was hoppy, but it has a great deal of sweetness to it. The taste is bready to say the least. It's not much different than bitting into a slice of wonder bread. There are some hoppy qualities to it. A bitterness and also a sweetness.
Normally these are qualities that I like in a beer, but it doesn't sork for me in the Hennepin.

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

Okay. This is not so much a review as it is a warning. First I have to say that I'm a big fan of Omm brews. And all the reviews of Hennepin are pretty accurate concerning appearance, smelll, etc. But one reviewer said "The beer finishes with sweet notes and yeast". I'd say it finishes with a bitter over hopped taste that lingers until you brush your teeth. Now you serious beer guys aren't going to like this, but in the spirit of keeping the gravity, I cut this ale with Keystone Ice rather than flush it. I'll stick with the Ommegang Abbey Ale. Like I said earlier, I can't disagree with the myriad of excellent reviews of this offering from Ommegang, if this style suits your taste. But if, like me, you were introduced to Ommegang through their Abbey Ale or Wheat...Whit...Weiss, whatever you choose to call it, the Hennepin is a different beast.

2.62/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

It was a classic saison

2.63/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

2.64/5  rDev -36.7%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

I am drinking a sample from a corked and caged 750 bottle at cellar temp in a snifter.
The beer pours very lite yellow like champagne. A fluffy and frothy bleached white head foams up 3 cm easily. tons of rising streams of bubbles in the glass.
Aroma is mild but I get some green apple and pears, a bit of biscuity yeast and some funky musty basement scent.
FIrst sip reveals average body and intense prickly carbonation. Carbonation definitely overwhelms the flavor on the first sip.
Flavor is light and fruity with some apples and pears just like the nose. A bit of genearl tart fruitiness too. I also get some candy sugar that I find a bit too sweet and slightly unappealing. The flavor of the beer reminds me of champagne just like the appearance did. The beer finishes with some dryness, again champagneesque. OVerall the beer is okay, but if I wanted to drink champagne I would buy a bottle. Probably wont try this one again.

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor.

2.69/5  rDev -35.5%

This was my first Saison/Farmhouse. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth.
I'm guessing that the whole horse blanket Brett taste isn't for me. I just found it to be a taste and smell that I'm not fond of. The beer looked fine with a nice head and nice lacing, and I'm sure that the fine craftspeople at Ommegang made this beer just how they wanted to, but unfortunately its not for me. Not gonna have another.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang