Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,153 | Ratings: 5,916
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 750 ml brown, corked, bottle into an Orval Chalice.

Appearance is orangish-golden color, and very clear. Abundantly bubbly carbonation, and head is a thin, sparkly, off-white, pinkish layer.

Aroma is malt, citrus fruit, some floral aspects. Very mild and pleasing aroma.

Taste is mild and pleasing as well, a quality drinker. Hard to believe this is brewed in new york, as it screams Import.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Big bottle with champagne-style cork. I'm especially happy about this beer because when I got it at Julio's it came with a great Hennepin glass. Pay me off with free beer stuff - hell yes!

But really. This is a beautiful golden wheat color. Misty throughout. Clean white head was big and vibrant but then settled down into a splotchy layer across the top. Big time lacing.

Nose is warm summer fruit - bananas and peaches are in there - with a slight tinge of allspice and cardamom. Crisp and light, but with that sweet candy edge that always seems to be in the Belgians.

Again with the fruit aspect in the palate, but hop bitterness eases its way throughout. Honestly the taste and the smell are tied very closely together in this one. Much of the character that I got in the nose is echoed with equal subtlety on the tongue. There's a bit of a lingering bitterness and alcohol essence in the nose after a few seconds.

Smooth and creamy with a light bubbly character.

Very good. I'm looking forward to trying more of this style.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A very nice product...now this beer has a head on its shoulders, starting to three fingers and leading to full thick lace with an island.
The colour is a very pale yellow and slightly murky.
Very lively, large bubbled carbonation with a citrus like scent and a whiff of the skunk.The body is a medium plus.
A light lemon start, a little yeasty with a semi-sweet malt like finish. A lengthy aftertaste matching the cycle of the taste.
A very dry mouthfeel due to the high ABV.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Following the instructions on the bottle, I poured this one according to the directions and was rewarded with a large, rich head of tight bubbles that extended above my La Chouffe glass's lip but never spilled over the side.

The champagne mouthfeel was nice, but a little thin for my liking. The taste was of sweet and citrus-y fruits...some lemons, but more prominently pinneapples and apricots. Even pears seemed distantly there. Flavors take their time emerging, so you have to sip a decent bit to appreciate its complexity.

There was something about the beer overall that made its flavor profile seem timid and polite rather than subtle and well blended. Although I enjoyed the flavors, I felt that I was looking for them rather than letting them call attention to themselves.

This is a really nice beer, but it doesn't have the stones to really assert itself. The citrus bite is a little too strong for me to laud it as being highly smooth and drinkable. The beer is on the fence between a Belgian-style flavor bomb and a mellowed-out, easily-quaffable brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a straw-yellow hue with a gargantuan frothy head. Large bubbles stream from the bottom of my pint glass to join their brethren in the foam that caps this beautiful libation. Looks almost champagne-like.

Huge citrus smells hit me in the face as soon as I poured it. I didn't even need to stick my nose close to the glass. Extremely pungent, but in a good way. Hops join the lemony citrus in the nose. Smells crisp, refreshing, and clean.

This brew is amazingly complex... the initial taste is one of hops and lemon, but add on to that a sort off outdoorsy dirty-in-a-good-way flavour. Hints of alcohol peek occasionally through, but only for a moment. The taste, too, has some semblences of champagnes, and some wine-like qualities as well.

Medium bodied, yet tight and crisp, as I would expect from a saison. Extremely refreshing. Glad I pulled this one out to review before it got too cold... I think it would have lost some of its appeal (though not too much).

Extremely drinkable beer, if you can handle the 7.7% abv. Wonderful spring/summer beer... glad this is finally available in NC, as it is certainly one of the best deals for the money out there.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Decided to treat myself to a Belgian tonight to enjoy Monday Night Football with. This is my first shot at an Ommegang but I'm pretty sure it won't be my last.
Appearance features a cloudy, pale golden color with a thick, soapy looking raft of head and decorative lacing that lasts. The best part of the nose is the citrus and other subtle fruit interests that predominate the clove and spices.
The taste is light but very sharp and includes roasted malt and a smooth bubbly entry that eventually gives way to a crisp finish that reminds you this is actually a beer and not a fine wine. High in alcohol flavor too but very nicely shadowed by fruit and peppery flavors.
This beer is really good, probably a little too good for MNF but I'm definitely not complaining. Guess I'll need to investigate this Saison thing..

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a rather clear buttery golden color with a frothy ultra-white head.

The smell is definitely fruity (apple and pear) but with the characteristic Belgian-style malt/yeast earthiness that makes me think of nuts.

Taste is not as sweet as I expected based on the smell (and my limited experience with saisons, which I thought were sweeter). The earthy characteristics shine through instead. Alcohol taste is present more than I expected, but not out of balance. As drinking continues, the pear flavor is the one that persists.

Feels creamy but light on the tongue. As I get toward the end, wow(!), I realize how much I am enjoying this beer. While I wasn't initially floored, the great balance in this beer makes it a great drink!

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

The pour is an off orangish yellow color with a cloudy appearance. The head did not pour out too fluffy but did last a good amount of time. The lacing also was good.

The smell is no doubt a Belgium. A sweet malt and sugary aroma. Hints of lighter spice and it reminded me of a Belgian wit more then a saison. Some fruity notes remind me of oranges and lighter citrus notes.

The taste is a light for a saison. There is some lighter tart, almost apple flavor and citrus zest, but not really noticeable for what I would consider for a saison. A good sweet aroma and a Belgian yeast taste are most noticeable. At the back end there is a light candy taste. The tart flavor lasts a while for the aftertaste but is limited. There is some spice flavor, cloves and white pepper. Reminds me of a Belgium wit.

There is a higher then normal carbonation and the body is light. The higher carbonation does bring out more zest in the back end though. One thing to note is there is no hint of the higher alcohol. Sneaky.

Overall I would have liked more of a tart flavor but that taste is good and a very enjoyable beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Pale gold in color with a 2" inch head that last.
Mild fruit and spice in the nose.
Smooth and balanced in the mouth. Flows from sweet to bitter. Taste like a Grannysmith apple. Dry in a good way.
Very drinkable higher gravity beer.
Will be buying it bottled very soon.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

My first farmhouse saison, and I've been told this is a very good representation of the style.

Pale gold brew with ample frothy white head. A few towers of rapidly rising bubbles add to a creamy film that will stick around for a bit. Smells yeasty "funky" the same way most Belgian ales smell to me.

Malty and dry with some definite hop bittering. Some tangy sourness and that yumm Belgian-style yeastiness, with herbal and earthy notes. Very tasty American brew. Light body with fizzy-frothy carbonation.

Tasty and quaffable, nothign stood out extraordinary, but I'd drink it again.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hennepin is one of my favorite farm house ales. The pour is smooth with a great white head forming almost immediately if poured into a fluted glass. The head is creamy and stays for the duration while lacing down the glass. The beer is a cloudy honey color and the bottle conditioning adds an interesting pattern to the final pour. The smell is a bit sour with great malt notes and yeast esters. The taste is exceptional; it is a tad sour but only in balance not in excess. The malty sweetness creeps up slowly as the aftertaste fades into complex notes of barley and yeast. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and this beer is very drinkable. This is my favorite beer from Ommegang. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours with a nice billowing white head, rising to 2 1/2 fingers, settling down to 1/8", laces all the way with the glass. The smell of this one is sweet, mostly malt with some fruity hints and a bit of alcohol and floral hops. The taste is very nice, fruit and a lot of malt up front a bit of grain in the middle and a nice hop kick at the end. The feel of this one is the best I have had, like liquid velvet. Smooth but robust and full, creamy but not overbearing, with a well balanced carbonation that tingles just right...very well done. Overall this is one that will take permanate residence in my chiller. A nice .750 to have on hand for nights with friends and nights at home.

Review edit...I tried this one initally over chilled. As the beer warms it unlocks hidden smells and flavors that are not present when cooler in temp. There is a sweeter more pronounced body and more hop character when warm, the boquet also opens up to a more spicy oroganic nose, with a definite yeast presence that envokes a bananna aroma that should make chaquita jealous.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

The thing I like most about this beer is that my friends and family don't give a God awful look when they try it, unlike most high gravity beers that are filtering into this post Pop the Cap state. It's enjoyable in every fashion but does not scream Wow in my opinion. Light and floral, the hoppiness is not overwhelming and is easy enough to consume (even though a glassful is still sitting in my fridge two days later). Cheaper compared to the other Ommegang choices available here.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance is a light yellow - thick head lasts throughtout along with lacing. Very appealing.
Aroma is fruity with hints of malt and and a slight hint of alcohol
Taste is superior - hints of malt and grapefruit. Alcohol is present, but not overbearing at all for a beer with 7%+ abv.
Mouthfeel is also superior - carbonation is present but not overbearing.
Overall this is a superior American made Belgian Ale. 750ml for $3.88 at the corner grocer is a no brainer for an alternative to anything else they have to offer. Upstate NY Rocks!

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy, honey color with a nice Duvel-esque head that sticks around.

Smell: I can't pick up much here. Some yeast and maybe hints of vanilla?

Taste: Nice, big floral/citrus taste up front that fades into some delicious Belgian yeast and nice, clean finish with the alcohol making it's presence known. Not too sweet and not too dry.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not too fizzy. Light-to-medium bodied brew that has a clean finish.

Drinkability: For a stronger brew, this one goes down relatively easy. I'll finish this bottle for sure.

A nice, well-balanced offering from Ommegang. Very similar to Duvel, but more complex and fruity. For the price, I'll buy this again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 750ml.

Appearance: Nice, crystal clear (was careful to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle) with a slighly orangeish copper color. Beautiful, fluffy head that stood almost 1 1/2 inches over the top of my glass. Head lasted a good long time and even when faded, left a good 1/4 inch on top of my beer.

Aroma; wonderful bittersweet aroma, somewhat honeylike but more like caramel just before it hits the burnt stage (its lost a lot of sweetness, but hasn't become overly bitter yet). Another whiff and I realize what it is. It is the smell of those candied almonds you can buy at fairs, but it is faint, just barely there. It's that moment when the wind brings just the essence of it your way, for just a second then it is gone. Also the aromas of lemon, yeast, and raw bread. Really enjoyable and very complex.

Taste: After all those aromas it would be easy to be let down by this beer, but I'm not. All those essences follow through in the flavor. What really comes through though is a lemon like tartness then flavors of malt, spices (clove and the slightest hint of cinnamon), yeast (in the form of raw bread dough) and ending with a slight tannic dryness similar to eating apple peels. After a minute or two the aftertaste develops into spice again, this time with black pepper predominating. There is also just the slightest hint of warmth from the higher alcohol content. I really love the complexity of this beer. It's got a lot of things going for it. The only drawback is that first initial drink. I found it to be just a little on the tart side, but overall this beer rocks.

There are a lot of things going on in this beer, so I don't know that this is a beer that you would drink glass after glass of. It could become fatiguing. Also with a slightly higher alcohol content 1 or 2 bottles and I would be ready to switch for the day, but only to come back again tomorrow.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

App: Yellow/ Orange, nice white head.

Smell: Bready, yeasty and citrusy with some lemon zest. Alcohol apparent with slight spicing.

Taste: very zest up front. Hevy spice with citrus and a touch of sweetness. Very dry semi - bitter finish. Alcohol heavy on finish.

Mouth: Nice, high carb level works well.

Drink: Good

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer pours a cloudy straw yellow color with a slight orange tint to it. It has a thick fluffy white head that fades very slowly leaving a huge amount of thick laces. This beer has a spicy aroma, with a little pepper mixed in. It smells slightly hoppy. I can detect a clove aroma. Also, it is slightly floral. The taste is not as spicy as the aroma would suggest. It is still spicy, but I just expected a bit more. The alcohol is slightly noticable in the flavor. It has a hoppy flavor also. It also has a very slight citrus flavor. Lemon, I think. Also, this beer has a slight sour taste. The sour taste is appealing. This beer is highly carbonated, which is good for the style. It is light, and crisp, providint a very refreshing, smooth beer. It leaves a slightly hoppy, slightly spicy aftertaste. I think this beer would make a great session beer. the only problem I have it the alcohol content. It might be a little high for the style, but it is still very good. This is a great beer.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens chalice. Clear yellow color with enormous head, kind of looks like a pilsner (or a Duvel).

The odor is awesome, reminds me of a fresh Saison DuPont. I can't even begin to guess what the different aromas are, but they work pretty well.

Tastes as good as it smells. Very fine.

I think this is a tremendous bargain at $8 per 4-pack.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I read the label on the bottle several times before pouring as I didn't want to mess it up. I also let it warm a little before pouring. It states that you should pour it slow and give it a very generous head, which I did. Pours a pale orangeade and a cloudy color. The head is luxurious, frothy and white about two inches high. The head really sticks around to the bottom of the glass too. Very nice appearance

The aroma is fruity, apples and bananas with a hint of vanilla. The flavor is very good with an apple taste, along with cinnamon. There is a mild bit of alchohol in the flavor that warms the body with each swallow. There are mild hops in the aftertaste, giving it a nice balance in the mouthfeel.

The taste really does improve as the beer warms, and, by bottle end, I detected a nice dry, wine like flavor. Overall, it has many flavors and is very smooth and tasty.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

I've been a little too intimidated to review this beer for some time. There is just no way an amateur like myself can do it any justice but I will do my best. It is simply spectacular.

Appearances first: I love the fact that Hennepin comes with a champagne style cork in a 750 bottle. Like all of Ommegang’s beers, it is fun to open but that is just the beginning.

Hennepin pours a rich gold. It’s sticky and its head lasts and lasts and lasts longer than just about any beer that I have ever seen. It’s highly viscous, globular, and almost alive.

When I tilt my snifter, my Cabernet/Bordeaux glass, or my goblet of Hennepin the head forms a brilliant lacey coating around the bottom of the glass. It doesn’t dissipate. It just rests forming a different beautiful pattern each and every time I tilt.

Furthermore, Hennepin has an intensity in its hue and brightness that is almost unrivaled. This is a beautiful beer.

Onto the smell: Hennepin smells like I would imagine an idyllic Medieval farm to smell like: grain, straw, horses, sacks of dried flour, pepper, and of course, a beautiful lady. As tripe as this may sound, I assure you that Hennepin does indeed carry with it a quality that reminds me strongly of William Goldman’s the princess bride. This beer smells like I would imagine Buttercup’s hair to smell, utterly perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hennepin is medicinal, no doubt about that. Its taste is robust and ads vigor to the body. There are also most certainly elements of lemon and grass, freshly baked drop scones, honey, and biscuits. The finish is dry and nutty, leaving the mouth thirsty for more. It wraps and warms the tongue and coats the palate, stomach and esophagus. I can’t get enough.

Drinkability: Unmatched.

This beer breaks the arguments of wine snobs down to detrital slime.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Cloudy straw yellow with a tall white fluffy head. A bit light on the lacing. Funky yeast scents with lots of fruity notes to it. A bit lighter grassy hops. Light fruitiness, pears and apples mainly with a backing of spiciness and yeast. A bit of doughy malt and citrus flavor blend in well. Spicy grassy and funky yeast finish this out. Lively in the mouth with carbonation this is also clean, crisp and quite refreshing. Very easy drinking to the point it almost goes down to quickly. Great example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a yellowish color like hay with a white head. The smell is very interesting because there is so much going on...malt, yeast, fruit undertones. A hint of bread as well (probably from the yeast). The taste was exceptional with it's complexity and balanced texture. I tasted a bit of fruit-inspired bitterness with some spice flavoring. As the brew warms, I taste more sweetness and less bitterness, but that may be my tastebuds being confused by this beer. My mouth is left wanting more; a bready texture on my tongue. Very simple and yet distinct. A terrific beer with great taste and easy to drink anytime.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang