Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,161 | Ratings: 5,947
4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Beer pours a light golden color with a good 1 finger head, excellent carbonation that is perfect for the style. Head disappears quickly but good lacing is left in glass. Smell is of slight citrus with a pleasant fruitiness throughout, some subtle spice comes through. Taste is of simple spice with a subdued fruitiness that is not overdone, very little bitterness. Faint hint of malt, but definitely not the focus of the beer. Beer finishes dry and crisp. Though a high ABV beer alcohol is well hidden and only begins to appear after beer has warmed considerably.

A great beer to have on a spring summer evening as things are beginning to warm up. One of the better American interpretations of the style.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Hazy, pale yellow coloring with nice lacing.

S: Not getting much on the nose, good or bad.

T: Citrus, yeast, bread, slight coriander.

M: Nice oily coating on the palate.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite impressed with the craftmanship of this beer. Saison is not my favorite style, but Ommegang does a great job with this - I would have guessed this was from Belgium in a blind tasting.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: Straw color and hazy with short white head.

S: Fruity esters in the nose perhaps even some bubblegum.

T: Some fruitiness but dominated by the peppery phenolics and bitterness. Piney tartness. A light supporting role played by malts. Alcohol flavor present. With little sweetness.

M: Effervescent, tingly mouthfeel. Prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

Notes: Another good offering from Ommegang.

3.04/5  rDev -27.1%

Nice golden color, head a tad thick/lumpy. Very peppery smell, nice spicy taste but the finish was just way too bitter for me, not what I want out of the style.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into tulip, 2 finger head disappears quickly. Smells like a farmhouse ale alright. Not much lacing as a I drained the glass. Slightly tickly on the tongue. Well carbonated. Finishes with Hops.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First impression was "wow" I didn't expect that much flavor from a beer this refreshing. Beautiful zip of carbonation from front to back. A hint of bitterness, sweetness, and citrus with a unique richness and creaminess that lingers in the back with a dry finish. Ommegang continues to make ales that aspire to be great, and they continue to impress with each style. This is a great saison, but there seems to be a hint of "tripel" here too.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A = Gold and slightly cloudy. Nice 2 finger white head that slowly receded. Strong lacing.

S = Yeasty and musty with some alcohol evident.

T = Nice sweetness up front giving way to some hints of citrus. Finishes a little bitter hop and very little alcohol. Well balanced taste.

M = Pretty light in the mouth, with a little oily residue after the swallow. Moderate carbonation.

D = Nicely drinkable. ABV is hidden and a clean crisp finish helps make this a sessionable brew.

Nice brew, very similar to a Duvel. Just not quite the masterpiece.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%

750 ml. Poured with a nice head, but not too big, as many Saisons are. Fell kind of quickly as well. Golden color with poor clarity and lots of suspended yeast. Not very floculent. Light aroma with hints of lemon and cherry with a persimmon note. Palate was uncomplicated with a light but distinct sour ale taste and quick finish. Plenty of carbonation left on palate for an active mouthfeel. I didn’t get the alcohol notes until about 1/2 way through the glass, then my palate opened to it and I could taste it then. My favorite Ommegang product so far.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

This is the third installment of the Ommegang tasting that I am offering to Beer Advocate. I have had this beer several times before and now have decided to review it. The beer poured into my 211/8th fl. Oz. snifter with an enormous head. It shortly subsided with massive lacing on the inside of the glass. The nose was heavy with hints of yeast and sweet grass. The taste is light and sweet with apples. Ommegang has hit another homerun with Hennepin...kudos Brewery Ommegang!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pale yellow-gold with a slight haziness. A massive, rocky head disappears slowly leaving tons of sticky, white lacing.

S - Like candided oranges, grass, wheat and a touch of anise. Very complex and very good.

T - Spiced oranges were what I thought of. There is a very slight hint of anise, or some similar herb. Fresh wheat, grasses and other spiced notes. Deliciously complex.

M - Crisp, fizzy and refreshing, but also substantial. Damn near perfect.

D - For a beer so refreshing and crisp on the tounge, this Hennepin is surprisingly hearty. Perhaps the 7.7 ABV has something to do with that.

So... Great Lakes Grassroots Ale bills itself as a saison, but I am confused, because that tasted like crap and this tastes delicious. I am glad that I did not let the Grassroots scare me away from the style entirely.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

I've had this beer a few times in the past years, but now that I sit down to review it, it disappoints.

Perhaps I've opened a poorly stored bottle.

A- Like a lager, bright yellow. Lots of mousse that effervesces like mad, settling into a thin top layer in my thin goblet.

S- The most apealing aspect of this beer is the aroma. Spicy with a note of citrus.

T - I can't get away from the rather unpleasant bitterness that overwhelms the palate. Not a pleasant bite, not balanced by anything else in the ale. Perhaps I am just not in tune with the hops used in this ale.

M - Light with an active fizz.

D - Due to the persistent bitterness, I wouldn't say this is an enjoyable ale/

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml bottle served at a refreshingly cool temperature. This was the third beer for my birthday, after Delirium Tremens and Odell's Double Pilsner. It proved to be an excellent relief. At 7.7% ABV it was the lowest of the evening. I loved everything about this beer. The appearance was a nice cloudy golden hue. The nose was aromatic and the taste was phenomenal. I absolutely craved the sourness of this amazing saiaon. It was sad to pour out the last of it, but it was time to attempt a double IPA.

One of my personal favorites (a now one of my wife's favorites as well).

A: Pale gold, slightly cloudy, with an absolutely huge head

S: Yeasty, estery, with funky spices.

T: A beautiful balance of sweet malts and esters balanced by a nice sharp bitterness and spiciness. Also a nice backdrop of horseblanket that rounds things out. I have to say that even though the bottle says to leave the yeast behind, I think the added yeast really improves the character, making everything softer and mellower.

M: A great creamy/spritzy combo that works well with food.

D: So refreshing, so complex, a beer for almost any occassion.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. No fresheness date on the bottle, though doesn't really need it considering its bottle conditioned.

A - Pours a fluffy, bubbly two finger head. There was minimal lacing after the dissipation. Beer is a clear pale yellow, kind of disappointing in someways because I'm used to cloudier looking saisons but I guess thats whats fun about them; you never know what your going to get out of each brands beer.

S - Pale hoppy smell, kinda bready. Wheat, cloves, floral notes. Green apple, lots of spiciness.

T - Very crisp, has the usual saison tartness, however its a little over the top. Green apple is roaming around in there somewhere. Bready, estery alcohol tastes. Alcohol is very present at the end. Has a champagne like quality to it. Bready after taste. Finishes dry.

M - Body was very light and the carbonation was well balanced, which helped its drinkability. However, I thought the tartness was a little over the top and it didn't leave the greatest lasting impression on my pallet.

D - I enjoyed it but it was strangely more of a sipper than something i couldn't put down, which is unusual for me when it comes to saisons. I think the balance was slightly off. Overall, I enjoyed it but its not something that I would look for in the future. I think I was hoping for something else, probably something comparable to what I've had in other saisons (in terms of balance at least). Perhaps its just a different style saison, perhaps I need to branch out a little more. A good beer but not a great.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A> A very nice bottle and an even nicer looking beer when it hits the glass. The beer is a golden hue, with a beautiful head that sticks around forever. You can see bubbles of carbonation bursting up in streams. This is one active beer, all those yeasts must be happy!

S> Great bouquet on the nose. It smells tart and bright with hints of fruit and spice in the background.

T> Tastes a lot like it smells, a sweet malt background that is complimented nicely by the tart funkiness of the farmhouse style with a hint of strawberry like fruitiness that hits my taste buds periodically. Perhaps a bit too sweet on the finish and the spices steal the show a bit too much. I can also taste hints of the 8% ABV.

M> Good feel in the mouth with ample carbonation. Quite creamy. Better then average but nothing outstanding.

O> A solid farmhouse ale and quite a steal at $6.19 a bottle, although I think I would have preferred this one in the summer.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This is my first Saison but I have enjoyed other similar ales. I've always been a fan of Belgians, Dubbels, Trippels, and Quads. Though the flavors are a little different, I was told this is right up my alley. My style of choice is RIS mostly but I often look for other stuff to keep my taste buds fresh. I bought this at Springhill Liquor in North Little Rock, AR.

Poured in a 14oz wide mouth wine glass 2008 Bottle

Appearance: Poured a Pale yellow with a thick, three-finger, rich and creamy white head. Nice lacing and good retention. The head dissipates slightly but stays long after the pour, as if my beer has been topped off with whipped cream. Haven't seen that before.

Smell: Sweet malts light fruity notes and some stinky earthy tones. Smells similar to much of the Belgian styles I have enjoyed in the past but I think this is a little more aromatic.

Taste: The taste is pretty, sweet and sturdy yet delicate. The flavor is new to me, its like tasting a lovely perfume of a passerby. Its bitter and spicy with some fruity notes but its hard to really pick out specific flavors. If I had to pick, I'd say banana with a hint of strawberry. The brew is pretty damn good and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty light, almost too light. Kind

Drinkability: This brew impresses me but its not my personal brew of choice. I would definitely recommend it to others but I don't think I would buy it again, not because it isn't worthy, its just not my personal preference. My only problem with this brew is that it came with only 7.7% ABV. Not enough for the money in my opinion. Indeed, I buy for quality but its still nice to get a good buzz off of a good beer.

Cheers!

-Dotson

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

I must have gotten a bad 4-pack because this was really alcoholic smelling and tasting. Didn't have any of the subtlety I remember (tho' I must confess it's probably been a few years since I've had this beer). Boozy! And so overcarbed it was impossible to pour well...

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into Libby flute. Second pour from bottle. Resealed bottle last night with a fold over, expanding wine stopper. Still great carbonation, smell and taste. Recommend those types of stoppers.
Looks great! Slight hazy, clear gold.
Smells a little sweaty, grassy,funky.
Tastes like it smells. Love this taste. Some bread mixed in, and pear. Slight bitterness.
Great carbonation and very crisp. Bubbles constantly rising.
Will buy again. Loved this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml. bottle.
First glass pours a nice deep copper with a billowy white head that quickly recedes. Light to moderate lace. Very fruity scents, including apple. Spices are ginger and coriander. This is a beutifully spiced brew from start to finish. Low peppery image mixed with fruit produces a cidery quality. This beer makes no apology and produces a very bold flavor. The finish is stong with belgian malt and a hint of alcohol. Worth the 3.99 price tag, to be as understating as possible. Second glass gives an entirely different character, as I add all of the yeast. Everytime I buy this beer I wonder why I don't buy it more often.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Hazy grapefruit juice color with rocky white head.
S- Yeasty tart aroma I associate with Belgian ales... really no better way to describe it.
T- A slightly citric sweetness immediately rolls over the tongue. Some spice (perhaps coriander?) but nothing overpowering. Definite biting esters that suggest a warm fermentation. Some alcohol warmth with a tart finish. Very well balanced; similar to a Belgian Strong Ale before the tart, slightly earthy finish.
M- Very effervescent; a bit too overcarbonated for my taste but typical for a bottle-conditioned Belgian.
D- Can definitely tell it's in the 7-8% ABV range, but the light color and effervescence leaves it deceptively drinkable.
Overall: This reminded me of the farmhouse cousin of Delirium Tremens.
It has the same (relatively) light feel, but a little more spice and earthiness that makes it a great introduction to the style for those who are scared off by a strong "horse blanket" characteristic. Definitely recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

A beer haiku for you:

American? Oui!
Belgian style, no regrets here;
Reservations--gone.

My reluctance about an American 'poseur' to the fine Belgian tradition was removed with this beer. Didn't seem to have quite the alcohol 'kick' of several world class Belgians, but that obviously added to the "drinkability". No reservations about having more than two at one sitting without feeling crapulent or hammered. Not the world's leader in this category, but well worthwhile.
Happy Christmas to all--cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all-time favorites. And very affordable at $4.99 for a 750ml.

App: Fluffy head, slightly off white in color. The brew is a very cloudy light orange.

Smell: Bananas and light fruit prevail here. Alcohol is effectively masked.

Taste: Rancid fruit (in a good way, I promise). Strong banana flavors. Hint of bitterness. Flash of dryness in the middle. Alcohol flares up and then rides through out. Aftertaste is banana and rotten fruit with slight alcohol burnination.

MF: Stinging carbonation gives way to fluffy smoothness.

Drinkability: Very good. Excellent taste and perfect abv.

A 750ml of Hennepin is my personal favorite for a post-work relaxation session. Goes well with winning streaks by the New York Metropolitans.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

I haven't had this one in a while.

Color- Hazy straw-yellow with a voluminous almost-white head.

Nose- Lemon, cardamom, sugar. Nice and clean.

Palate- This is a clean, dry beer with a lemony, spicy character. It's clean and dry enough to whet the appetite for food. It doesn't quite match the peerless balance of some of the Belgian saisons, but it's very good, and a great value.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Copper/orange in color, hazy, with a huge white frothy head that leaves tons of lacing as it recedes.

S - Very bold aromas: lemon, wheat, yeast, and strong notes of fruit (banana?)

T&M - A very complex flavor, albeit, not my favorite. Definitely a good beer for the summer: it has a somewhat crisp wheat-like flavor with notes of complex malts. High carbonation. Medium bodied. Very flavorful mouthfeel.

D - All in all, I definitely respect the quality of this brew - it just wasn't one of my favorites. For 7.7 abv, it wasn't too boozy at all - only a little hint of alcohol here and there.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang