Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

For this review, 12oz bottle in a tulip glass.

A- Light yellowy-gold color with a massive white head. The head fades to a thick film, serious lacing. This beer is clearly unfiltered.

S- Bananas, pears, light fruits, spices. And two of my favorites: yeasty funk and funky yeast.

T- Belgian style yeast, spices, light fruits. Spicy, a bit peppery.

M- Ebullient. Light, crisp, refreshing. Body without baggage.

O- Spot on for the style. I've drank this many, many times and it always tastes fresh and inviting.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Thousands of bubbles rush to the surface like so many helium balloons. Pours a straw gold with an impermeable haziness and a champagne style head with great foaminess.

S - Has a freshness which reminds me of a Hefeweizen; I think particularly due to the coriander and orange peel which are mentioned on the label. Man, this beers smells so good; sweet and yeasty.

T - Has a very homespun taste; I get herbs, crisp citrus, yeast and wheat with a nip of hops just before it washes down the throat. I’ve never had a homebrew, but this is sort of how I can imagine a homebrewed Belgian wheat ale (which didn’t quite go to plan in terms of carbonation and complexity) tasting. Pleasant but not top stuff.

M - Unusually I found this a little wanting in terms of carbonation, although this may be true to style. Continues the homely feel from before, I find myself wanting to describe the mouthfeel as ‘cozy’ if that makes any sense. The beer just seems to envelop your tongue with a blanket of gentle bubbles spun from medium-weight fabric.

O - My first saison, and certainly a style I will continue to explore off the back of this experience. While 7.7% abv isn’t super high, it’s a good fraction higher than your average beer, and this beer carries the load with no stoop in its shoulders, a trait I must always commend. If this serves as an exemplar for saisons, then for me that means I ought expect a sort of musty, wheaty Belgian ale with a casual attitude towards carbonation. If this beer were cheaper it would be highly sessionable, but as it stands, while enjoyable, I probably wouldn’t pay $10 for a bomber again when I can get my hands on top notch Belgians, Weizenbocks and Hefeweizens for less.

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%

Bought a 4-pack of this after a recent beer-rut. It's a great example of this style, and one that I would recommend to anyone needing something to excite their taste buds again. The pour was good - a nice, golden/oragnge body, with a thick, 1.5-inch head. Smell was citrusy, sweet, and of yeast and clove. Taste echoed that, with more pronounced yeast notes and a sweeter finish. I could drink several of these on a hot summer day.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang