Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Ratings: 6,009 |  Reviews: 2,177
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Yellow-gold color; nice head packed with small, tightly packed bubbles
S: Strong smell of grains of paradise; additional notes of anise, coriander and orange. Slightly musty.
M: Medium body; slightly coating on the mouth, dry in the middle
T: Grassy, well carbonated, spicy. Something in there made me think of hard apple cider.

4.67/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, hazy, golden/straw/orange-leaning color. Thick, fine-bubbled, patchy head. Smells flowery, tastes fruity, citrus scent. Mango, banana, grapefruit, lemon, tart, sweetish. Light and lively in my mouth, and scent of esthers becomes very strong when imbibing. Aftertaste is like the scent, begs a second drink. Saccharine if left without a swig too long, but absolutely divine when I am drinking. Just at the edge of my palate skills at identifying tastes, it is extremely fun and interesting. Brilliant and exciting.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Big bottle with champagne-style cork. I'm especially happy about this beer because when I got it at Julio's it came with a great Hennepin glass. Pay me off with free beer stuff - hell yes!

But really. This is a beautiful golden wheat color. Misty throughout. Clean white head was big and vibrant but then settled down into a splotchy layer across the top. Big time lacing.

Nose is warm summer fruit - bananas and peaches are in there - with a slight tinge of allspice and cardamom. Crisp and light, but with that sweet candy edge that always seems to be in the Belgians.

Again with the fruit aspect in the palate, but hop bitterness eases its way throughout. Honestly the taste and the smell are tied very closely together in this one. Much of the character that I got in the nose is echoed with equal subtlety on the tongue. There's a bit of a lingering bitterness and alcohol essence in the nose after a few seconds.

Smooth and creamy with a light bubbly character.

Very good. I'm looking forward to trying more of this style.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Nice hazy straw yellow. Poured into a pint glass - this thing has a really nice 2" head with a zillion tiny bubbles. A few mins later and the head is still around, looks fluffy.

S - Bready, yeasty, spicy and earthy. Smells like a belgian. I can faintly smell the hops and I don't detect the alcohol really. Reminds of me of a wit.

T - Tart and a little sweet, earthy, spicy. I'm not accustomed to this type of beer so the best description I can give is complex. Again, reminds me of a wit. There's a little bitterness throughout but it's just right. It's not bitter really - just well balanced. Wow, this thing is 7.5% ABV... I'd never even suspect it so high. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of belgians, this one is definitely tasty.

M - Smooth and very nicely carbonated. Light and refreshing.

D - I'd still choose an American ale over the belgians right now but they are really starting to grow on me. I've had several in the past and this one is definitely the best by far. I would definitely buy this again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours bright gold with a massive billowing head. And boy does it stick around. Very nice. The nose has the typical saison spiciness and it follows through on the flavor. It's very robust and spicy, yet it goes down pretty easily. Lots of crisp carbonation in the mouth, but good weight to it as well.

This is a great version of this style. If I had this in a blind taste test, I'd never believe it was brewed in the US. Really well done.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Very bright golden color. I'm using the Duvel Tulip Glass, and I don't know if this is directly related to the glass itself, but theres a single file stream of bubbles in the middle of the glass just rising continuously. Pretty neat looking. Pretty cloudy with a large frothy, white head. Very sticky lacing is left on the side of the glass if I give a little swirl.

S - I've never had a Saison before so I wasn't really sure what I was getting into, but the smell was totally not what I expected. Almost smells like a Witbier. There's lots of similar characteristics. It's heavy on coriander and lemon. The smoothness of clove is present. It's also a little spicy and if I'm correctly identifying it, it almost smells like ginger is in there.

T - With the initial taste it was very sweet in the front and very dry bready taste on the back end. Based on the smell, I would have to say the taste is a lot spicier than I anticipated, although that's not a bad thing. It's a good spicy taste. Spices and citrus definitely dominate the overall taste of the beer though. Honestly, it almost has this sour taste to it.. like a green apple sour taste. I definitely like it. That taste seems to be hanging around in the aftertaste.

M - Good carbonation on the tongue, yet so extremely crisp and refreshing at the same time. Light bodied.

D - I type pretty fast to give you an idea of things... and while typing this review I've killed off the entire beer except for a mouthful without really realizing it. I can't get enough of this beer. Very high drinkability obviously... well until the near 8% ABV sneaks up on me. Cheers.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 750ml bottle as part of a Ommegang variety pack. Very tall head that recedes slowly. A fairly pale color with some hints of amber. The smell seems similar to a pilsner; very crisp and clean with some flowery hints. The taste is very interesting. Almost like a pilsner and wheat beer combination. Some sweetness at the end leaves you wanting more. Although I am not very familiar with the saison style, this is a very good beer overall.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

appearance- an orange pale color, with a two finger head that fades to one finger.

smell- a citrus smell

taste- it has the smae citrus taste. it is very smooth and the taste does not stay long.

mouthfeel- very smooth with a little carbnation feeling.

drinkability- i could drink these for ahile.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.42/5  rDev +6%

The appearance of Hennepin is a light-golden, almost orange color. It is very cloudy and pours with a solid 1.5 inch head. It leaves a nice lacing against the glass.

The smell is a solid wheat scent in the beginning. Hints of cloves, bananas and spices follow closely. It has a very hearty smell.

The taste is fantastic! Really nice balance between the wheat barley, brown sugar malt, bananas, cloves and spices. Balance is a difficult thing to properly achieve, especially with a beer this complex.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp and leaves all of the flavors against the tongue after every drink. It is carbonated but finished smooth and dry, giving you the hint that you should drink more!

Overall this is a really solid, well balanced beer that has complexity, drinkability and strength (7.7% ABV). A must try if you are looking for a quality brew.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Pale yellow with foamy white head. Cloudy chill haze and lots of bubbles. Head settled into firm skiff and mild lacing. The aroma is fruity (banana, green apple and melon), spicy (coriander, clove), floral, and slightly funky (barnyard and leather). Delicate and nicely balanced … no punches in the face and the character comes together as one. Much the same for the taste, hop and phenolic bitterness with subtle malt in the background. Light and balanced. Finishes very dry with moderate astringency. Body is light and bubbly … feels like a dry champagne without.
Overall, it is a delicious beer and another example of why I’m being drawn to Belgian-styles. Complex, yet well connected and easy to drink. Perhaps just a bit too dry and astringent … preserve a touch more malt in the overall character.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

4.13/5  rDev -1%

This saison is a bit on the paler side than some, with a bit less orange in the hue than I initially expected. Head is a gorgeous lacy, rocky white. LOTS of carbonation. The effervescence complements the crisp, clean character of this ale very well.

Aroma is moderately hoppy, with a touch of spicy citrus.

Tastes of noble hops, with a moderate and pleasant bitterness, balanced well by a full maltiness. Slightly sweet in the finish. Very drinkable; I'd gladly enjoy two or three of these in a sitting, in spite of the ABV.

Overall, this is a very balanced and drinkable ale. Definitely one of my favorite American interpretations of a Belgian style, and I'd also say this is one of my favorite saisons -- regardless of origin. I recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable crisp, tasty pale ale with more character than the typical golden ale.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

A-Poured into a Orval goblet and warmed to 55 F.it pours a clear golden\yellow color with a 1" head thats soapy and pure white,fading to a nice film over entire top.

S-First smell is all yeast then hay and sour citrus,earthy undertones and a slight smell of alcohol.

T-Sour\tart lemon(yeast?)and taste of earthy hops upfront.Light malt and a pearlike finish leaving you begging for another taste.

M-Good balance,medium bodied.Slightly over carbonated.

D-This is a very smooth and drinkable beer.It is a great example of Saison/Farmhouse style.At 7.7% I don't know about a session but why not! The complexity of this beer reminds me why I like Belgian Ales and will continue to try others from Brewery Ommegang.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

This was purchased on sale $5.99 (great price for a bomber) at Monument liqour. It was recommended so after having other Ommegang's I had to try it.

Looks great. A real bright colored unfiltered ale. Looks highly carbonated and the head sits nicely upon the sweet looking beverage.

Smells like a summer day. Realy bright fruits and a little alcohol edge. I get a hint of light wood and some funk.

Much tarter than I expected. I like the freshness of the flavor and the after taste really hangs on. It almost tastes like a heavier belgian without the caramel underlyings. This has a medium sweet middle to it that fades to a soapy aftertaste.

Standard mouthfeel.

Although this rivals some of the other Saisons I have had, the alcohol taste is too promenant for 7.7%. If they were trying to hide a 10 or 11.5% sleeper in a farmhouse ale I might forgive 'em, but at 7.7 it should taste like a sweet dream. I would recommend this to others, but not if their favorite was a saison. They would pick it apart.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

A- Huge white head forms immediately and sticks. Cloudy golden beer underneath. Yellowy straw- Perfection of the farmhouse look. TONS of tiny bubbles constantly rising.

S- Light smells- banana and clove in a beautiful balance. Rich.

T- Perfection of floral nose leading to a lightly sour sweetness, with a completely dry finish.

M- Grows in your mouth... the thick head is washed down by light beer with big flavor, and the small bubbles move all around, spreading the taste and aftertaste. Bites with carbonation and finishes quick and dry, leaving your mouth ready for another sip.

O- The best farmhouse saison I have tried thus far. Perfection in the melding of flavor and feel- the light yeastiness, flowers and spice and the perfectly dry finish make it top shelf champagne in the form of beer.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang