Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)
4.15/5
Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

4.3

Ratings: 6,030 |  Reviews: 2,184
4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A – Pale gold body that is almost champagne-esque, gorgeous translucent white fluffy head, carbonation that flows rapidly from the bottom, overall a very good looking saison.

S – Apples, pears, yeast, a spicy element, perhaps a slight pepper, little bit of grass, lemon and wheat as well. Very fine smelling, and complex to be certain but very clean. I am thinking this girl is going to taste very nice.

T – Top notch. Very good. It comes on initially with the apples, white grapes, pears and then progresses into the spicy elements of light clove, some pepper, and a very nice yeast as well. I’m not really getting the hops right now but this could be owing to the fact that this bottle is about a year old. I waited a while to drink it because it was recommended to me that I wait 6-12 months and it seems that this has suited the beer very well. The taste definitely warrants some comparisons to Duvel, but I would say that it is unique and has a broader complex of flavors. This farmhouse saison is clean, fruity, spicy and well-balanced. A fine brew.

M – The mouthfeel is really just great. It’s luscious and smooth because of the amped-up carbonation. The body is medium and it has a very dry finish.

O – What a great beer. I actually totally was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I love the Saison style to begin with (who am I kidding I love just about every style), and I love Ommegang Brewery so perhaps I was being naïve in thinking I wouldn’t enjoy this, but I really really like it. Maybe the best Saison I’ve had to date.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle poured into wine glasses.

A - Thick and creamy white head - stays a long time. Cloudy and maize colored. Great amount of bubbles coming up the side. Just great.

S - Citrus, mild hops, grain scent is definetely coming through as well. Quite powerful and robust.

T - Bitter and highly carbonated. Great fruity acidity at the back of the mouth. Some residual alcohol taste. Fantsatic.

M - Lots of carbonation, very full bodied. Outstanding.

D - Bring home a bottle and share with friends. A crowd pleaser for the sophisticated beer drinker.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A cloudy golden liquid pours from the bottle with a two finger head in my wide mouth goblet. The smell is distinctly similar to a pino grigio or dry white wine with an astringenty kind of smell. The taste is at first tart, but mild fruit esters and a strong phenol spicyness comes through and then diminishes to expose a lovely malty backbone. This beer is sharply carbonated with a moderate body. Despite its subdued flavor profile the tart-spicy-malty transition is infinitely interesting to my taste buds and I find it draws me to that next sip before I really get to understand the first. I need more. Damn good beer.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Ommegang tulip

A - Bright golden yellow, somewhat cloudy appearance. Boasts a big, white bubbly head. Looks tantalizing. Heads settles, but leaves tightly bubbled lacing throughout the glass during consumption

S - Tart, fruity smell of green apples, coriander, banana, and spices. Yeasty and a little peppery.

T - Damn fine... Good mix of the tart fruitiness, well spiced. The alcohol is noticeable here - I think the taste could be improved with a toned down abv.

M - Carbonation runs wild, but the beer covers the palate well and is crisp and refreshing

D - Very refreshing beer, leaves you wanting at least one more.

Overall a real nice offering from Ommegang, good to see some state-side folks nailing this Belgian staple.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.42/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to ngeunit1 for this bottle.

Appearance:
In the air it looks almost clear. In the glass it takes on a straw yellow color, with just a slight haze and 1 1/2 finger white head made of big bubbles that fizz down and leave just a slight lacing.

Smell:
Dry and malty, with a lot of belgian yeast scent. Kind of like a dry champagne, except malty instead of grape-y. Slight orange peel quality to it too.

Taste:
Sweeter than the smell had led me to believe, but fairly dry. Orange zest and a few grape-like flavors. Some tangy hop character with low bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel:
This is a fairly straightforward champagne-bodied beer.

Drinkability:
It's not bad, reminiscent of other belgian-style ales. I would not call it one of my favorites for the style, but it certainly isn't bad. I'll probably have it again in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

***
Caved Aged Edition
***

Sampled: 7.9.06

The only thing that distinguishes this bottle from an ordinary bottle of Hennepin as a ‘Cave Aged’ edition is a card hanging from the corked & caged bottle neck by a gold elastic.

The beer’s pale gold is slightly cloudy and sits under a medium 1 inch head. The foam leaves plenty of lacing clining to the sides of the glass.

The aroma is immediately the tartness of fresh green apples hanigng out over the appropriate Belgian style funkification. Sweet and slightly spicy, but not overly so. Sweetness and tartness rule the nose in this town.

The flavor starts tart, carried from the aroma and is noticabley crisp. Soon sugary malts come through as the brew warms in the mouth. A slight edge of bitterness at the end of the taste hits as the beer goes down the throat. Though I can’t be certain as I didn’t do a side by side, it seems as though the year in the cave smoothed the brew out, gave it some balance. It’s dry and light in the mouth, with a medium carbonated body. The dryness, possibly a result of the yeasts having more time to perform?

The beer is quite drinkable. It’s crisp, tart and dry finish makes it a good one to have on hand like anyone else would have wine, but much less potent at 7.5% ABV. Highly recommended, though I can’t say whether this Aged version is worth the extra $1. The Hennepin itself is delicious, no amount of agign would change that in any subpar brew.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Opaque blonde, spritzy carbonation produces billowing head. Drops some lace, but medium-to-poor head retention, the glass might be to blame here.

Plenty of dry, peppery spice - actually smells crackling dry. Soft, floral notes - lavender-like. A touch of sulphur.

The tongue is first awash with saltine cracker and bread crust, then drying carbonation floods the palate, wiping it clean with more pepper, chalky dust, faint citrus and a leafy, herbal character. Faintest whispers of candy-ish sweetness, but nearly non-existent. Pleasantly rustic and distinctly DuPont-like in overall character, though the greater 'heft' of this one (higher ABV) is noticed over all.

Pleasant, tongue-curling dryness is straight to style, begs for another sip, making this a solid, enjoyable Saison. I am biased as this is my favorite style, but this is a solid standard. Takes a slightly drinkability hit because the strength doesn't keep it sessionable, however I'd not hesistate to give a full bottle a try.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This 11.2 ounce bottle pours at a wonderful 48 degrees into my goblet. It is the color of straw and blonde with a slight hazy. A wonderful finger and half head appears and lingers across the top of the liquid for the entire glass! What a wonderful experience to watch.

The aroma is fruity and floral. Delightful.

The taste is an experience for the entire tongue. I will need to sample this one again to get a better handle on exactly what is going on here. No biting hoppiness -- good so far as I'm concerned. There is a back of the tongue sweetness, fruity on the sides, and light carbonation rounding out the entire package. Superb.

At a low ABV of 7.5% for my cellar, this beer has high drinkablility without losing my "speech center." (he he, ddarden)

This delicious brew will be a staple of my collection!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Cork and Caged 750ml. Been meaning to pick this up at my local liquor store, but just haven't got around to it. So finally gave it a shot.

Pours a murky, golden color with a huge, fluffy white head. The head decided to stick around a while on this one, which I didn't mind. Smell is very appealing. Yeast first, then some earthy hoppiness.

Taste is sweet with a slight sourness to it. Very refreshing. As it warms up it improves greatly. I was worried it might have been skunked. Didn't know how long it had been sitting at my local shop, but it was far from.

I wouldn't mind trying this one again. Still don't know how long that bottle had been there, so might have to keep an eye out for some fresh stuff.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang