Ommegang (Abbey Ale) | Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)
Liked This Beer
4.16 w/ 4,596 ratings
Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang

4.16/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,596 |  Reviews: 1,763

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A: 1/2" tan head that held on for dear life over a deep mahogany/brown liquid. Carbonation kept forming from the sides of my Duvel tulip glass and the head had a crispy snow sound as the bubbles popped. Beautiful.

S: Very sweet. Cherries, dark grapes, figs, pears and candy. Beautiful.

T: Quite yeasty, since the bottle said it was bottled just under two months ago, I wonder if this is a bit premature. Figs, pears, a hint of cherries and a slight tart finish from bitter hops. The taste is not nearly as sweet as the smell.

M: Thin to medium viscosity and a medium to high level of fine carbonation.

O: I expected something a little sweeter, but this is still a good dubbel.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

With so many good beers we enjoyed that night, abbey Ale, the one that started it all, might be our hands-down favorite. Pouring a deep ruby, almost mahogany, this brew features a thin, off-white head and decent lacing. A powerful bouquet of dark fruit (figs, plums, and raisins) mixes with licorice and chocolate hints. All sorts of flavors erupt on the pallet, including Belgian candi sugar, fig, honey, licorice, and more dark fruits. This amazing beer is medium in body, with a somewhat medium-light level of carbonation. Simply amazing!

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into 16 oz goblet from a 750ml corked and caged bottle.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark beautiful burgundy, with a good two fingers of dense creamy head, that leaves behind some great lacing.

Smell: Lots of dark fruit notes; raisins, plums, and figs. Great bready notes from the yeast. And has a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste: Big dark fruit notes again like the smell. Nice breadiness again from the yeast, quite typical of the style, but quite outstanding as well IMO.

Mouthfeel: Such a rich and luxurious mouthfeel on this brew, certainly one of my favorite qualities of this beer.

Overall: This is certainly a world class beer. I bought tis on a whim at my local bottle shop, and I must say I made quite the find, will buy again.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: A deep ruby-brownish body with thick 2.5 finger puffy yellowish-white head. Lots of visible carbonation and lacing on the sides of the glass. Head remains in tact as a 1/8" film until the end.

S: Bready, yeasty, banana aroma. Hints of mustiness and slight alcohol. Certainly some dark fruits in there.

T: Initial yeast flavor overtaken by a sweet dark fruit taste then molasses caramel malt. Gains some wheat flavor as it warms up.

M: Quite carbonated, medium bodied. Smooth to drink with a crisp finish. Stickiness from fruits lingers on the palette.

Overall quite a flavorful and drinkable beer. Very reasonable pricing in NY state. Have always been an Ommegang fan and would recommend to anyone who hasnt tried it before.

2.54/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours a nice ruddy brown with a thick off-white head. It tastes exactly like it smells... like molasses with some dark fruit mixed in. I may have gotten a bad bottle, but in my opinion it's overpowering both in smell and taste. This is the first "world class" beer I've had that I don't want to finish. I might even need an adjunct lager to help rinse the rancid taste out of my mouth. I'm sure this is a quality ale brewed with top ingredients, but I would never consider buying this again and I don't recommend it to any of my friends.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

2.76/5  rDev -33.7%

Ommegang Abbey Ale, 22oz bomber: This beer has a very dark, near black body, and be careful when pouring because is grows a massive head. Tulip glasses not recommended go for a goblet shape. The aroma is powerful and mirrors the taste. The Ommegang bowls you over with flavor of burnt sugar and oxidized wine. No subtle mix of complex flavors here. Overall I did not like the flavors of this Dubbel, and I would prefer a more subtle presentation. The Ommegang is worth a try to experience how intense a Dubbel can be, but I will not repeat as there are other offerings which provide a more subtle array of flavors to the palate.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang