Abbey Ale | Brewery Ommegang

Abbey AleAbbey Ale

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Dubbel

Abbey was Ommegang's first beer and was styled after Dubbels produced by Belgian Trappist monks. A deep, rich and malty ale, Abbey uses several Belgian specialty malts and spices resulting in a very aromatic, flavorful beer.

Deep burgundy in color, topped by a dense tan head, Abbey Ale is rich on the palate but with a dry finish. Suitable for cellaring, Abbey develops wonderful caramel, fig, and currant notes with age.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998

Ratings: 4,638 |  Reviews: 1,772
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Notes: Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. This beer poured a nice dark, rusty brown colour with an ample, creamy, white head. The aromas were of dark fruits, spices, yeast, dark malts, and hops. The taste? Very boozy, fruity, spicy, yeasty, earthy, delightful. The mouthfeel was very creamy and oh-so-smooth and the drinkability was great as well. I liked this better than the 'fresh' Ommegang.

Cheers to Purlpehops for the sample!

I'm a great big fan of Ommegang, and now I have the Cave-Aged at hand ready for inspection..

.Appearance: same dark, muddy, burgundy brown, more reddish in direct light, and with a small, dunnish head.

Aroma: a touch more mellow than the fresher version, (which I've just consumed, by the way, for the purposes of this study, of course!) but a magnificent melange, even if it does need time to unfold. Rich, dark, fruity flavors present themselves, raisins, plum, fig, grapes, spices, chocolate. It's a deep, dank morass of fruity goodness. And now to taste...

Mouthfeel is unwordly...thick doesn't start to describe it! This beer takes over the mouth, the tongue, the apex of all senses is overcome. It commands, and must be paid tribute to! ...I'm still reeeling! I initiate another sip with I ready? Yes, I am...Hops are a large, fruity charge,then malt takes over, occupies, dominates, fully engorges everything in ways only pleasant! Again, I must pause, reflect,, to sip anew...thick, lush, full, intoxicatingly flavorful sensation! I'm in too much pleasure, to be sure! I've got 1/2 the bottle to go? Wished I'd saved it for another, more communal, convivial occasion, to make more people happy. Maybe some other time, if it's possible?

It's an incredible mix of all things dark and beery and fruity and alcoholy and...really, my question is thuswise: if I gave regular Ommegang 5 stars, can I give this one 6?

No? Why not? Oh, it's amazing! Not merely the strength and potency gives it it's formidable quality, but the everflowing flavor! Ranks among the finest brews ever brewed, alongside every trappists monk's secret concoction. Hail to thee, Ommegang!
Once again, you knocked my every sock off!

(So much thanks to purplehops for the oppurtunity to drink this ambrosia!)
The Cave did it's work well. This is one [email protected]$! beer!

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Tasted from the 12oz bottle - sourced by a friend visiting NYC. One day I'd love to get it in the 750ml... perhaps with Moortgat involved there will finally be good distribution out west.

Pour shows the classic, rich dark body with hints of burgundy and amber. Decent but not overwhelming carbonation and a dense but not billowing head.

Aromas are of caramel, fruit and malt - with a sort of spicy port-like undercurrent. Very attractive and mouthwatering. True to the style.

Initial taste is of spice and malt. Very dry and crisp with hints of rummy fruit and a strong bite. Perhaps less smooth than the prototypical Dubbel and with less citrus and more tropical fruits and spices. Alcohol is noticable. The finish is incredibly dry with a strong yeast note - very attractive. Esters provide a continuity of flavour throughout the experience and across the palette.

This is an excellent beer. Perhaps the second best American execution of the style (after the Allagash). With any luck we'll be able to start getting it out here on a regular basis.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

The color was a nice dark maroon color with a fruity smell. Not bad.. The taste was not my type though..It was a heavy beer with almost a sweet taste almost like a chocolate. The aftertaste was very smooth and dry but again the type of beer is not my type. Those who like the style will enjoy this hearty brew.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Have a few Of all Brewery Ommegand offerings and this is a good one. It had a nice caramel color and a nice head of fine bubles that disipates reasonably slow. It has a a dry quality in the middle and sweetness all around. The most stand out taste for me was of pruines and gave it a nice rich mouthfeel. This one is a great deal for $5. I would try the Hennepin if you like this one, I think it is their best offering.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my first review of a 'Belgian-style' beer. Though Ive had three varieties of Chimay and a couple other examples I always felt as if I wasn't able to note enough characteristics from the brew to make a worthy contribution. Here goes nothing...

Color is a light, yet deep and rich copper-biege with infinite hues of orange, red, and gold. Head is moderately sized and of an off-white/biege color with a fluffy texture. Very appetizing appearance. Its aroma fills the nose with notions of apple cider, cloves, spices, etc. Flavor is more complex than I could hope to explain but I did find flavors that were fruity-like yet tart and mellow yet flavorful. Cloves, a pinch of mint, and other odd for beer flavors showed as well. Mouthfeel was excellent due to a full and very lightly carbonated body.

It was damn good and left me wanting another once I had finished the 750ml bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Originally sampled on 23 January 2002. This beer is chocolate brown in color w/ a light foamy head. The taste is sweet yet tart w/ a very clean finish. A very unique beer, well worth the price. Ommegang is a very nice American version of a belgian ale.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle with amazing information on the bottle about proper pouring, the area, and other things.

This artisanal craft beer poured dark reddish, brown with a huge, bubbly beige head. The head faded quickly from its huge stature to a thin top layer that was easily revived with a quick swirl of the glass. The lacing was phenomenal and simply defied the laws of gravity. The head usually had a central mountain and was always full of bubbles.

The smell from this treasure was of malt, minerals, and fruits like banana and others I can?t place with hints of flowers.

The taste was sensational. Full of malt, hops, and minerals with fantastic mouthfeel that is complete and smooth from the lips, across the tongue, down the throat, and into the stomach.

Simply phenomenal, if this is what I have to look forward to from the Belgian brews then I am rushing to them. Is this the finest American brew there is?

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great beer, and an amazing value at $3.50 for a 750 ml bottle. Pours a beautiful semi-opaque reddish-brown with a nice fluffy, sticky beige head. Very potent! Smells and tastes of fruit (apples, raisins...). Dangerously good. I just had a whole bottle to myself, and I don't particularly feel like moving!

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a hazy, ruby brown with a cream, thick brown head. Aroma of yeast, dark fruit, alcohol and a sweetness. Head flavor was slightly tart and yeasty. Alcohol comes across in flavor and mouthfeel. Belgian yeast and dark fruit are most notable on the tongue. A slight sweetness and lingering tartness are also present. A very nice brew that I am happy to have available in the Seattle area.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

This was my thrd dip into the Ommegang well...actually, that doesn't sound as stylish as this beer. I enjoyed Rare Vos and Hennepin and now I was ready for another American/Belgian experience. I bought a 12 oz. bottle but would have opted for the 750 ml if it had been available.

Ommegang poured a very dark red, which was nice, but it was the head that caught my eye. The tan head rose and rose and rose from my Chimay goblet until the frothy tower rose a full half inch above my glass without falling. I fought through the foamy jungle to get at the nectar below.

The aroma was of malt, a sweetness I didn't expect in such a great magnitude. At first taste my eyes widened, literally. This little bottle packed a huge flavor. The malt sweetness was there, along with a smoothness of dry alcohol, which imparted a warmness. There was definately a taste of fruit there, cherries perhaps?

This dark ale kicked my butt and I can't wait to have it again.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Thank some one for Ommegang. This brewery is a tremendous addition to the American craft brewery scene. Thanks to Ommegang for this offering.

Pours a hazy reddish-brown color with a rapidly diminishing head. Very aromatic--I like that in a beer. Smells malty, like a wonderful bakery, and the floral aromatics of Belgian yeast. Ommegang is heavy, thick and chewy (in a positive way). Initial taste is sweet with hints of melon and raison. Let me venture out on a limb and say the aftertaste presents a pleasant sourness. I think it is much more bright in flavor than Chimay red label, but definitely not overwhelming. It is incredibly easy to drink, but much more importantly, to enjoy with good music and food.

Ommegang is one of the great US interpretations of a great Belgian style ale. A wonderful beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Color is a hazy, brown with red tones and a small tannish head with some lacing around the edge that just wouldn't quit.
Smells fantastic with lots of fruit and malt tones, mostly citrus with some melon, grape, raisin, and fig all dancing around with a super sweet malt in the nose thats soft and subtle. Taste is pretty much in your face with a whole lotta of malt thats sweet and lends into the the tropical feel and taste of melon and some citrusy bitterness and vanilla. Feel is medium bodied, silky smooth with a huge bitterness in the end that really soured to much for me. It started nice, but I think perhaps a little more aging would calm the bittery end down some. Not bad at all, pretty drinkable, is darn good and sip worthy as it warms.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer looks a cloudy reddish-chocolate color, the head is a web of loose and tight knit bubbles with a thick ring around the edge.

There is a nice crisp nose to this beer. sharp, fruity esters with a nice maltyness. The smells i sometimes find blunt and offensive are quite attractive and harmonious in this one.

A nice sweet maltyness, here in the taste. Very fruity, well rounded, a little sharp on the sides and tip of the tongue.

This is a great beer for the style, everything exist in harmonious bliss.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

What can I say but…WOW! Pours a beautiful ruby/garnet red with a decent sized creamy, tan head that dissipated quickly. Wonderful aroma of plums and cherries came across with hints of sweet caramel. Had a very nice taste, which complemented the smell quiet well. The alcohol seemed to send a burst of warmth through my throat and stomach. A sweet aftertaste of plums left me wanting more. This is an excellent Belgian style beer and very affordable for those of us on a seemingly tight budget.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours to a very murky brown color with a lot of red in it. There is a large pillow of off-white head on top. Sweet fruits combine with a little bit of alcohol. The aroma is excellent overall, with a lot of complexity.

Fruits are dominant, but they are not alone. The darks malts are blended in very well, and the pale malts also add a great character to the beer. I get a strong taste of celestial seasons "wild cherry berry tea" with a bit of sugar in this one. The carbontion is in perfect balance, and it keeps it under control. This brweis very enjoyable and drinkable, and many at a house party would not be upset by this brew.

Now this is a good ale. The 750 ml. corked bottle has a classy label, and the ale pours with a sparkling deep red color and a modest dark tan head. The smell is rich with complex fruitiness and a touch of spice (licorice?), and the glass has a lively dance of bubbles that keep popping away throughout. This carbonation is immediately noticeable in the mouth, but the taste is excellent; the initial tang mellows pleasantly, and there is just a little hint of the high alcohol content (8.5%). I'm rapidly becoming a convert to these Belgian-style ales. Not all that expensive, and well worth it.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

I finally broke down and bought a 12oz bottle of this. The bottle itself is quite attractive, and the label colors do a good job of preparing you for what you're about to drink. The beer pours a wonderful aged copper color with the fuzzy head you'd find on one of your "early" batches.

The smell is just what you'd expect from the style, apple orchard in the fall. The windfalls and bird pitted fruit have started their own special brew on the ground, and the sweet aroma is surprisingly pleasing.

The taste is surprisingly sweet, and fruity, and good. The body itself is quite large, which is somewhat masked by the fruity smell. Its quite filling, so I'm glad I didn't purchase the large bottle. This is a treat, and should be served as desert, or as a way to surprise your wine drinking friends.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Judged according to BJCP guidelines...

Aroma: big banana esters detected even before raising the glass, a somewhat cloying sweetness, negligible hop aroma, some wisps of alcohol
Score: 9 of 12

Appearance: poured with a beautiful thick dark tan head, beer is a ruddy brown with quite a bit of haziness, sediment doesn't stir up as easily as many other bottle-conditioned Belgians
Score: 3 of 3

Flavor: a lot of sweetness and a big banana hit up front, some good continental hop flavor in the mid-range, bitterness is low but to style, long sweet raisiny finish
Score: 16 of 20

Mouthfeel: full-bodied, tight prickly carbonation, lots of alcohol warmth!, still pretty creamy though
Score: 5 of 5

Overall Impression: Had tried Hennepin before and was not impressed. I find that many American renditions of the classic Belgian styles miss the mark. However, after trying this one and Rare Vos, I give this brewery my "seal of approval". To my taste, this beer is the best of the three. Best enjoyed after dinner with dessert or as dessert!
Score: 8 of 10

Total score: 41 out of 50

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Impressive. I don't know why I was expecting an alcohol-laden, fruity beer. This is a fine beverage. Pours out to a bizarre mix of amber and brown, we'll call it brownber, in the glass with a monsterous candy-brown head. Smell is that of fruit, prunes, licorice and spice. Taste is sensational. A very nice blend allows the malt to shine on without anything, including the high ABV overpowering it. Light fruit, biscuit and to some extent licorice come through. Very nicely done.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Yea, ok, a Belgian style beer brewed in New York. This I need to try. I popped the top and here is what I found.

Pours a deep garnet read. An off white head, think and creamy develops at the top of my glass. Suborn, the head leaves to leave a think rich lace. A work of art!

Aroma. A fruity aroma meets the nose, raisins, plumbs, malt, maybe a hint of caramel and alcohol also .

Flavor is strongly malt, fruitiness again, sweetness, excellent carbonation and great taste and finish. Alcohol provides a warm and fuzzy feeling in the belly.

The verdict? An OUSTANDING brew. Almost my first all 5’s. I can't be honest and give it all 5’s because I’m still new to these types of brew!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

My first Ommegang and I can see why it is so highly touted...this is one heck of a beer and I'm not even a huge Belgian head...The drinkability and flavor of this beer is something else...

It pours a scarlet brown...with a nice creamy tan head...nise is of apples and fruity....Taste begins with the apples and a tich of picy alcohol....but then some wonderful maltiness emerges...a bit like a doppelbock but without the heavy molasses and brown sugar flavors..mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, and a tich fizzy...drinkability is a 5.0...this should be sipped but it's not lasting very long in my glass....I din't think I'd like this one that much, but I am impressed....worthy of it's highly esteemed reputation....

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

I believe that this is a great beer that I don't like very much. By which I mean, I am able to appreciate its complexity, but it's not a beer that I would ever wish to have again.

Beautiful label, very well designed; I bought the 12 oz. version, and it emitted a loud and powerful "snap" when I opened it; as expected, it erupted into a fabulous, large-bubbled tan head. Immediate fruity aroma, with the most evocative banana scent that I have ever encountered in a beer.

I was surprised, though, that there was no hint of bananas when I pushed past the head and drank the actual beer. Instead, I found a broad wash of hops across my tongue, a powerful, smoky push up against my palate, and a crisp, grainy mouthfeel, as if a couple of ounces of black pepper had been turned into beer.

Over an hour later, I can still taste it in my mouth. But, I do not revel in the lingering taste. I wish sincerely that I loved this beer, but when I drank it, I felt like a tone-deaf person at the symphony. I want to dance with my beer, not fight with it. It's the beer version of a broad-shouldered red zinfandel wine, or one of those filling-rattling cabernet sauvignons. My senses were definitely engaged, but they did not like it. Too sharp, too harsh, too peppery.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

I am impressed. This is one good beer. I was never a fan of Belgian styles, but tried this one anyway. Nice red color with a fair bit of head that rapidly fades to a thin nut persistant layer with no lacing. Aroma is fruity with alcohol obvious. Taste mimics aroma, vinous and strong. I think I'll give this style a second look, and this beer several more.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz bottle bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), about a week in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F.

A big, coarse, dark yellow head collapses into an even more coarse flat layer of foam. Not much lacing. The beer is dark brown, with fine, dark swirls of sediment.

The smell is spicy, fruity, fairly light.

The front is spice and apples! The middle is just a little sour, with malt and more apples. The alcohol shows up a little in the dry, bitter spicy finish. It feels a little thin, but it's a good, interesting beer that's very drinkable for 8.5%. I prefer the Rare Vos.

Abbey Ale from Brewery Ommegang