Witte Wheat Ale | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

Witte is pleasantly light on the tongue, balanced between malt and wheat sweetness. Hops and spice with a subtle clove note backed by flavors of lemon and sweet orange give way to a dry, crisp, refreshing finish.

Added by Todd on 05-01-2004

Ratings: 2,208 |  Reviews: 793

2.1/5  rDev -44.3%

2.12/5  rDev -43.8%

Pale gold in color and completely opaque. It's like a neon yellow in the light; kinda weird. Pours with frothy white head that dissipates quickly to form a thin barrier on top. The bubbles seem like they want to stick to the glass, but the low viscosity of the beer pulls it down into the drink. I get pale malt up front with lemon and spiciness following in scent. I was expecting a bit more of a kick in a wit. I get a lot of pale malt on the tongue with nearly none of the wheat described on the glass. The citrus is undeniable, and a bit annoying after a while. I get mostly lemon, despite the claims of orange peel on the label. It stays on the front of the tongue, but some of the malt lingers with it in an attempt at balance. The light fruit flavor has some spiciness towards the end, but it's a bit muddled in the tang. The beer is easily drinkable and not very heavy which is nice, but not normal for the style.

Speaking towards my personal preference, I'm torn. On the one hand, I like that it isn't a normal wit in the sense that it is light. On the other hand, it's overly tangy. In the end, evil outweighs good and the tagniness is too overbearing. Get back to the chalkboard, Ommegang. I expect more of a Belgian owned company.

2.18/5  rDev -42.2%

Serving type- 750 ml bottle

Apperance- poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white lace, it looked to be flat as there was no bubble activity after the pour.

Smell- there were hints of fruit but really not anything prevalent

Taste- tasted flat with a very bitter aftertaste. If I closed my eyes I thought that I was drinking water.

Drinkability- I think or rather hope that I purchased a bad batch because this was not a good beer experience. It was flat and skunky which makes me believe that this bottle had turned. I bought it at local cigar/beer store that had a very unorganized selection. I saw no born on or freshness date. I am going to have to give this another try and hope that I merely got a bad sample and not its true nature.

2.51/5  rDev -33.4%

Had a big 25 oz bottle (like the one pictured) given to me by a weizen-enthusiast friend. I crack into the bottle through the caged champagne-cork style deployment. Poured into a Erdinger weisglas. Interesting nose-lots of grassy, woodsy kind of scents, big voluminous head.
I catch a cheap whiskey-like bite on the sides of my tongue with this one. Mid palate is all grass and rubber. Mouthfeel is average for the style-plenty of watery carbonation. There is no fruit detectable in this one. Dropping an orange wedge in slightly improves the refreshment factor.
I had 4 good pulls then poured the rest down the drain. Snapped into a Hacker-Pschorr instead. Domestically speaking, Blue Moon beats this Wit hands-down. Hoegaarden's (true style) Wit remains my gold standard in Belgian Whites.

Witte Wheat Ale from Brewery Ommegang