Ommegang Witte | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Witbier

Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

Witte is pleasantly light on the tongue, balanced between malt and wheat sweetness. Hops and spice with a subtle clove note backed by flavors of lemon and sweet orange give way to a dry, crisp, refreshing finish.

Added by Todd on 05-01-2004

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,162 |  Reviews: 783

This is a very good American witte, but you have got to like coriander. It's not a taste for everyone, some people hate it I hear, but I happen to be one of those folks who appreciates the subtle lime while the orange citrus really accentuates the coriander giving this beer a life of its own. I'm from NYC and have been exploring American beer culture after having spent some time in Europe tasting I can proudly say to all the Europeans out there: C'est une tres bonne biere des Etats-unis mes amis. I'd pick this bear over dogfishhead anytime and I'm not just being biased because I was carded in Rohoboth beach for having an outdated ID. It's really a superior witte with a unique coriander citrus taste that doesn't leave one wanting and I'd recommended it anytime

3.64/5  rDev -3.4%

I really wanted to like this beer. This brewery is just down the road from me. My buddies all think their beer is great. I've had a couple of their brews and they were not bad but not great. Then I read this wheat beer won an award somewhere so I had to try it.
First off the color is.....different. Too yellow? I don't know, different for sure.
Secondly the aroma is pleasant, very fruity, orange, citrus. Nice really.
Third, the taste seemed mild and yeast like, then very tart and seemed to linger.
Served cold it seemed refreshing enough. Maybe the citrus could have been a little more definitive taste wise instead of just tart.
Overall I think the jury is still out for me. Next summer I'll have to try another on a 90 degree day!

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 355 mL bottle

Look--Pours a light hazy straw color with an ample, solid-rocky head. A fine representation of the style, although perhaps more clarity than one would ordinarily expect from an unfiltered wit.

Smell--Very subdued compared with what I anticipated from this brewer. Notes of lemon and banana with earthy notes. Not lacking in complexity, just not much aroma.

Taste--A nice balance of the forward tart citrus notes and honey sweetness on the finish with a little bit of spice. Lacking in complexity however, and like the smell, I was left thinking there should have been "more" of the good flavors I was tasting.

Feel--The best part of this brew is the spot-on feel and finish. Crisp, light, with a subtle dryness on the finish that makes it eminently drinkable.

Overall--I wanted to rate this brew higher, because I liked the look, aroma, and taste. It just felt like the taste and aroma were more subdued compared with some better wits. Nonetheless, this is a solid take on the style that I plan to try again in case my taste and smell was impaired for some reason.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale straw yellow color with tons of carbonation and a rocky, two finger head. It leaves excellent lacing on the glass.

Tame aroma. What little fragrance you get is reminiscent of lemon rind, bananas, mild honey and corn flakes. There is a slightly dank hop note hiding somewhere.

The flavor is good, but the tasting experience is short lived. It has a slightly spicy and yeasty taste upfront with mild notes of coriander and potpourri. Sweet malted grains mid palate. Finishes on a dank, bittersweet, lemony hop kick.

Feel is slightly watery, bubbly and sweet. Very light in body.

I love just about everything Ommegang has to offer, but this missed the mark for me - it just didn't have enough bravado or character to set it apart from other witbiers out there.

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

Hazy light yellow. Pillowy head. Sticks around
Dat Ommegang yeast. Its toasty, funky, good wheat scent
Lemony, great wheat taste, funky a bit
Effervescent, light side of medium. Bubbly

Very good wit.

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Looks like a fuzzy pilsner. Bright yellow color that is much clearer, so less unfiltered? Head dissipates to minimal lacing.

S: Earthy and citrus

T & F: Satisfying carbonation hits the tongue with a medium body. Crisp taste with light citrus and strong wheat I think

O: Stayed good and strong all throughout. At first drink, they aren't typically flavors that I'm excited to drink, but after breaking it down, I could appreciate every note that is in this beer. By the end, I was convinced to add to my "buy again" list.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ommegang Witte from Brewery Ommegang