Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lovely, Dark And Deep Oatmeal Stout | Brewery Ommegang

Added by superspak on 08-07-2015

3.9

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
4.07/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass. The color is dark brown - virtually black, opaque, with a creamy light brown head and some serious lacing. Only Ommegang could produce an oatmeal stout that smells like this! The rich malt is supplemented by Ommegang's signature Belgian yeast and spices. The taste features roasted grains, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, and a bitter finish with lots of spice. I compared this against a Velvet Merlin and the taste was very different. I'm not getting any oatmeal. This is a medium-bodied ale that is pleasantly carbonated and very drinkable (only 5.3% ABV). Overall, it is good, as I would expect from Ommegang, but it really doesn't distinguish itself for its style. I think there are better oatmeal stouts out there and Ommegang produces other beers that are much better. I won't go so far as to say this is a misfire but my ratings of Ommegang products are usually higher.

3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into an Ommegang goblet.

Look: Dark chocolate blackness with ruby to brown hues on the edges. Mocha colored head that recedes to a healthy thick film. Thick sheets of lacing that dissipate to a world map.

Aroma: Faint Belgian yeast gives way to earthy tea leaves and ultimately a cocao nib kind of chocolate. Lactose sugar in the finish.

Taste: Strong notes of Belgian yeast up front -- a bit musty with cardboard. Somewhat toasty with faint charred grains and bitter chocolate, with a hearty oatmeal note. The finish is sharp and tangy.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light, on the thin side.

Overall: I liked thus less and less the more I had it. The Belgian component overtook the other flavors I was looking for.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Love this winter offering from Ommegang! Once again, another fine brew.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is toasted and nutty, with the oats really shining through. Notes of roast and chocolate emerge, along with a bit of acidic malt character.

Flavor is more roasty than toasted, with a coffee-like bitterness throughout. There's a touch of bubblegum esters, and notes of pear and apple surface late.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%

Had on draught.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark brown bordering on black. It has a nice, brown sugar colored, half-inch head that retains nicely. Some sweet lacing sticking all up over my glass.

Smell: Typical oatmeal stout aroma profile with roastiness, coffee, some dark chocolate, maybe a little raisin hidden in there. A pleasant, oaty sweetness caresses the nostrils.

Taste: Definitely more sweet chocolate in the taste, balanced by a smooth roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Like chocolate silky massaging my tongue, moderate carbonation, goes down super smooth, a little too thin on the body though coming in at a medium-light body.

Overall: Everything an oatmeal stout should be: sweet, silky, roasty, chocolately. I just wish it had s slightly thicker body. Would definitely drink again though.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The color is a dark brown and if you will note the range in color on the srm chart for this style can go from 22 all the way to 40. I would say this one is a 36/37. Thick creamy khaki head that persists and refreshes itself with each tip. Clarity is good.

Nose is roasted grains and a rich little bit of coffee and cream. A faint light sweetness on the nose. They used lactose in this so that is cheating but it smells authentic. A little more than a low noble hop on the nose that I think is fresh and so light as to be seductive in this beer but that too deviates from style just a tad. Oats show a bit of soft breadiness and at first there is no fruitiness from malts. Then I think it's either their house yeast giving a grapey fruitiness rather than the dried dark frutiness you usually find in a very low background note in this style, or it's the bravo hops. I think it smells and tastes a bit strange. Sweet chocolate.

Smooth flavor. Roasty and rich with nothing burnt. The hops in this beer are delightful and take their place in the beer without trouncing the other flavors. They are a bright little bit of freshness. A pleasant floral from the bravo and a lightly stemmy herbal from the styrian golding. Cocoa powder that is less sweet on the palate as it is on the nose adds a bit of complexity. Slickness on the tongue and in the finish from the oats and even though they used lactose I think the sweetness is in check. A subtle bitterness from the hops and a touch of dryness from the roast finish this one creamy, full bodied, balanced and it does not linger long in the aftertaste. They used midnight wheat in this beer and that adds a bitterless, dark color to beer with hints of roast depending on how much you use. It also is said to finish exceptionally clean and I think they used it to smooth any astringency from the oats that would gather in the finish. There was none. As it warms the dark fruit starts to emerge. it is not well defined so you cant say raisin or this or that and it remains in the background. Becomes more nutty from the oats as it warms .

If I had given it a 3.5 overall you would never guess how much I liked the noble hops in this beer. I disliked the lactose but that is subjective for me as I dislike lactose in any beer and do not favor the milkstout. If they were going for a hoppier beer, they succeeded. But that strange grape taste does not thrill me so 3.5 for taste. 3.5 for the mouthfeel because you will notice a bit of roughness in the finish.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Black body with a thick creamy light khaki head comprised mostly of small fine bubbles. It looks inviting.

Aroma: I get a nice coffee aroma with a bit of roasted nuts in the background. There is a slightly odd aroma that I can't quite put my finger on. Mostly it smells good though. It doesn't have an aroma that just pulls me in but again it doesn't smell bad. I get some charred popcorn in there too.

Taste: Right up front there is that charred popcorn flavor I got on the nose. If you like charred popcorn you'll probably really like this. Personally I do like the flavor but in an oatmeal stout I'm looking for more subtle and easy drinking flavors. There is some chocolate that makes it through.

Mouthfeel: This is probably the greatest downfall here. The body is medium with a slightly crisp finish...a far cry from the smooth velvety finish that is often attributed to oatmeal stouts.

Overall: I was really looking forward to a new offering from Ommegang that was a departure from the usual. I was especially excited to find out that this would be an oatmeal stout. I don't feel that my excitement has led to any lofty expectations but I do somehow feel letdown by this beer. With a name like "Lovely, Dark and Deep" I was wanting more lovely and deep and a little less "plain old dark." I won't be looking for this in the stores again. I'm actually happy that I'm finding out how this beer tastes now instead of being let down around Christmas. Average at best.

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

What a surprise, another great beer from Ommegang. Doesn't matter the type of beer, if they make it they make it right. This is a light, but delicious oatmeal stout that goes down nice and easy. Hints or coffee and chocolate make this a perfect winter ale indeed

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

beautiful in the pour.... adjunct and amateurish in the nose..... the beautiful head dissipates quickly, and the flavor is of spice and very cheaply brewed..... very thin, very 'young'. not one of my favorites in any way. a very 'commercial' production; not what I would expect from Ommegang.... maybe Goose Island.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Is very smooth very heavy and very dark stout

Almost black in color with a thin layer of light tan head that leaves a layer of lace around the top. Smells of oatmeal, light roast, and chocolate. Taste is similar to the smell with oatmeal, milk chocolate, and a light roasted bitter finish. Light to medium body and light carbonation.
Overall one of the more flavorful oatmeal stouts I have had. A nice easy drinking stout.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last