Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) | Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)
4.15/5
Exceptional

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Three Philosophers is a unique blend of a Belgian-style dark ale and Liefmans Kriek, an authentic cherry ale from Belgium. Cherry chestnut in color, it's opaque but not cloudy with full carbonation topped by a smooth, tan head. Flavors and aromas of roasted malt, molasses and brown sugar, dark fruits, brandied raisins and chocolate, Three Philosophers has notable sweetness with low hop bitterness. The mid-palate shows a soft malt center which gives way to a dry, warm, wine-like finish.

The complexity of this beer make it a good candidate for ageing gracefully, as spicy sherry and port notes should intensify.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Ratings: 6,499 |  Reviews: 2,117

This is by far my favorite beer. The aroma is awesome and the flavor is very complicated.
Mixture of fruit and dates.
Theres also a kick that makes you very warm.

I was pissed off how much I paid for it. I'm a cheap batard. But oh my! It hasn't been this good since I was in Brugge. Their making this in New York! Lordy, we might find some monks out of work!

I have a question. This may sound dumb but it's just a little confusing to me. Well....first of all, I love this beer. One of my favorites. Anyway, when I'm rating a beer.....let's say the color......is the "color" rating based on how light or dark it is? Or is it based on how pretty or ugly it is? With the smell, is it how good or bad it smells? Or how potent or non potent it smells? Do these questions make sense or am I just a stupid dummy? Pardon my ratings......again, I don't know what they mean. I'll change them once I know.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang