Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) | Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Reviews: 2,071 | Ratings: 6,319
4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Three Philosophers chalice.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark mahogany that almost looks like a cola, with hints of red speckled throughout. Held up to the light, more red highlights come through (due to the addition of Kriek Lambic?). Freshly poured, the beer had a finger of a tan head that dissipated into a lacy halo of foam settled up against the glass.

Aroma: Strong aromas of cherries, dark bread, and chocolate are what I first get, followed by caramel, plums, and figs. Very rich, very pleasant.

Taste: Cherry and plum, followed by dark bread, a little brown sugar and caramel, some earthiness and just a touch of dark chocolate. The slight tartness of the cherries intermingle well with sweetness of the brown sugar and caramel, and then are balanced nicely with some slight bitterness of the dark chocolate. While not a traditional quad, the addition of Kriek really gives the beer an extra depth of flavor and makes it stand out among the typical quad. This is a really delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with just enough carbonation so as to leave the palate clean, and just the slightest amount of alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall: I loved this beer. It’s become my favorite American Quad, as well as one of my favorite beers period. Simply outstanding!

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Ommegang Three Philosophers has a thin, fizzy, beige, root beer-style head, a brilliant, orange-brown appearance, lots of tight bubble streams, and a thin lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is of sweet, rich, brown bread, strong fruit aroma (such as fig or date), sugar, and caramel. Taste is of all those elements, with nougat, brandy wine, and some hop bitterness. Cherry flavor is present, but it is quite subdued. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly (from the carbonation), and Ommegang Three Philosophers finishes mostly dry, sweet, rich, and enjoyable. This is a outstanding sipper, and I highly recommend it.

RJT

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Three Philosophers is a blended brew. It is 98% a Belgian style abbey ale but kick ass strong. Considered a Quadruple in their measuring standards it boasts a huge 9.8% ABV. The other 2% is a Cherry Iambic. What you end up with is a very smooth highly drinkable, and decadent brew.

The Cherries do not overpower the beer at all, but enhance and blend with the natural fruit like flavor of the abbey ale. Although the alcohol content is very high you do not get a strong "booze" or alcohol after taste like Rob and I have found in some of these very high ABV beers. (Yes Brooklyn, I am looking at you...)

The complexity and flavors remind me a bit of port wine, and no doubt this would make a great after dinner beer or a good compliment to a dinner with strong flavors, but I would not reserve it just for that. I would not call it a light beer by any means, and I would probably not reach for it on a hot day, but... I'd also say this is drinkable year round.

All in all it may be the best craft brew I have ever had. I love this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer may be my favorite quad i ever had. I have had several bottles since my first one, and they have such a smooth hint of cherry on the back end with no boozy taste that can be found in other quads. As the beer warms the flavors really start to open up. It poured amber colored into a belgian tulip with a nice two finger head. First sip and i knew i was hooked.

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

My god, simply my god. On to the review...

Poured a kind of deep red, almost wine like in it's appearance, except for the big gorgeous foamy head that adorned the top of my chalice.

Smelled of dark malts and cherries.

Three philosophers is a beer to ponder. Deep, complex, round and wonderful. Starts with initially sweet dark chocolate, cofee, cloves, and orange. The coffee and chocolate quickly turn to a more roasted bitter flavor. Shortly after the sweet and swourness of the cherries comes in. Spicy sour and sweet, the cherries round out the beer as at passes down your gullet. It leaves a warming as it goes down, and the aftertaste is of french roast coffee, slightly bitter. Simply wonderful.

A beer that feels round, and full in the mouth. Carbonation is just right, keeping it from being too chewy.

So flavorful I'm not sure how much of this my taste buds could take. It hides the alchohol amazingly well though.

Just amazing beer, if you can find it pick it up.

Char

Cracked opened a 12oz bottle today, a 2012. 9.8 abv

A: reddish amber with a nice off white head that is still lingering. Can't see through the glass.

S: Massive fruity notes especially cherries, I'm getting some notes of raisins, plums, figs, and grapefruit. also getting some caramel aroma. The aroma is amazing!!!! it has that gunk dirty aroma that you need in a Belgian style quad.... and Ommegang hit it spot.

T: Cherry, caramel, and toffee goodness. It is nicely balanced and all the flavors mellow out. It has a hint of butterscotch (just a bit not over powering). The drink-ability on this beer is amazing. at 9.8% abv. It is hard to tell. The cherry is truly bold and great.

M: feels cleansed, zesty, refreshed. It a bit tangy from the mild bitterness, but over all a great feeling

O: Where I am you can usually get a 4pack for around $15 or a bomber for around $10.99. So is it worth it? Yes. this is one of the best sipping beers you will find.

LOVED IT!!!!

I was a bit reluctant to bu y the 75cl bottle, fearing that I may not like it and have to waste half a bottle or more...now I wish I had bought the 75cent bottle. I found a small 12 oz bottle in a whole sale distributer in NYC, I snapped it up because I felt it the perfect oppertunity to give it a shot.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I was afraid the lambic would overpower the beer..not at all...it blended quite nicely.

It poured with a beautiful tan/maroon head which lingered through the first third of consumption. The smell was great, warm, the flavor was perfect. The lambic made the beer spring to life on my tongue, delaying the alcohol taste (9.5%) until the instant before swallowing. The finish was strong, and not at all sour as I was fearing. Really a great beer. I look forward to this one in the fall.

Ommegang is s-erious brewery, and I look forward to any new beer they produce

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

I have been so excited all day to finally have this beer, even though it was very expensive this has been on my MUST TRY list for awhile and was highly recommended to me by two friends who love good beers.

A - dark raisin in color, good fizzy head that fades quick, bubbly like champagne in the glass

S - not as sweet on the nose as I had anticipated, has a sweet undertone with light spice and malt

T - This is seriously the best beer I have ever had. It tastes like figs, banana bread, caramel, cherries, yeast...there is very slight orange in the aftertaste, mixed in with all of the subtle sweetness. This tastes like a beer you want to chew. Pure heaven.

M - Smooth smooth....carbonation is medium to high in the glass, but it really is so smooth feeling. it feels like it coated my mouth with goodness that is lasting for a very long time....(hope forever!). there is absolutely no burn of alcohol in the feel at all.

O - Best beer I have ever had. There is no way that anyone could NOT love this beer. I wish it was more affordable because I would make it my one and only. Made it 4.5 overall just because of the price factor.

4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

Learned that this batch was over 1 ½ years old. She aged beautifully. Connoisseur tasting, Kennett Square

This beer poured a dark ruby/mahogany color that was cloudy in appearance. The head that was produced was minimal and short lived, just a thin covering that was tan/beige colored. No lace. The aromas were intense and bold! Smells of bourbon, port wine, wooden aging barrels, big dark fruits (raisins, plums, black cherries), sweet dark caramel malts, and alcohol. After I took my first of many whiffs I hoped that the flavors would and had to be as good as the nose. And they absolutely were. Tastes of rich dark sweet malts, dark fruits, fruits macerated in alcohol, port wine and the barrels that they were aged in, caramel, spice (hints), alcohol and a wisp of granny smith apple tartness at the end. Aftertaste was filled with port wine and fruit. Heavy bodied, and thick. Big complex flavors that are rich and heavenly and the warmth from the alcohol were truly inviting. Wow what a beer truly amazing how all the flavors compliment each other so well. Glad I had the chance to experience it, several times in one day.

4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

A - Cloudy brown with a mixed head of tan foam. Not particularly long lasting.

S - Definite fruity cherry with rich toffee, vanilla, and molasses. Touch of funky Belgian yeast.

T - Sweet, rich and fruity. Cherry isn't that prominent, with much of the flavour being caramelized sugars and molasses. Not overly tart, but with a hint of acidity. Malt is huge and works well with the kiss of hop bitterness in the back end. Alcohols well hidden.

M - Medium bodied with a slight chewiness and mild carbonation/

D- Heck yeah. Probably not sessionable, but I wouldn't mind trying. Huge flavours and well balanced. Very complex.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

we found this at Moe's beer store ,center st. Jupiter fla

having Ommegang ale's in the past we knew we would be impressed and we were.
this came in a 4 pak of 12oz bottles slightly different than the usual large bottles

served in a malt glass,pours with a 4" head that lingers ,fine carbonation and nice ruby, red colour

nose:malt ,fruity yeast nose ..way it's supposed to be !
taste: belgian candies, almost a cherry lambic flavor and malt with a clean finish ..no hops or bitters ...just right
exceptional flavor the brewer here knows his stuff and continue to make fine ales

if i were to convert a budweiser drinker to a real beer this is the one
all time favorite

the beer of the working class --

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

This is one of those beers that makes me smile when I see a bottle of it. It's one of the brews that ignited my passion for good beer. Anyways, what I enjoy about Three Philosophers it that it's a heavy complicated beer, but it's so balanced and drinkable. It pours a deep mahogany color, which most closely resembles a dark tea, with a foamy light tan head. It has a very subtle scent, with slight cherry notes and a maple sweetness to it. The flavor ranges from a caramel nuttiness to an oaky barrel character. The finish is crisp and brings home the cherry undertones. All around this is just a great beer and one of my favorite domestic selections.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Very smooth in all respects! Nothing new for most folks on here, just what I'd consider a great "sipping beer."

Only knock against the beer is the lack of a distinct finish. Has so much distinct aroma and a wonderful feel up front that I wanted more from the back end of the taste.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Never heard about this until I went into the Pittsford Wegmans' beer center, for $4.99 I couldn't resist... and I was not disappointed!

A - poured a lovely clear reddish brown copper color with a creamy white head that kept well until the last drop from the wine glass.

S - like many other reviews, I concur with a distinct initial cherry aroma, but I also get a hint of malts, grapes, and yeast, all adding towards a complex mixture with a touch of spices and burn of alcohol

T - where to begin?! The malty tartness is complemented with a dash of cherries and a kick of alcohol that is actually well hidden in the flavor. You get more of an alcohol "texture" than an alcohol "taste". Complex and bold.

M - medium bodied, texture is well emphasized especially by the generous carbonation.

D - I feel that this is a beer that we should consider for quality, not quantity. With that said, I daresay this is a most drinkable beer that is not for the faint of heart, nor is it a beer for the chugger. This is a classy beer that should be treated with respect and care.

Overall - After the first bottle was emptied, I bought another 3: 2 for cellaring and 1 for immediate use. This beer was the first Ommegang product I've had the pleasure to try and I was not disappointed. I hope their other brews are as good, if not better!

btw, I found this to go well at cellar temperature (or room temperature too!) with a light dinner (perhaps some Greek food or a chicken caesar salad) and mild cheddar cheese :)

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a cloudy, deep, red-brown with a long lasting tan head. Leaves some sticky lacing and the head finishes as a thick lacy ring with a few self sustaining clouds.

Smell is rich dark dates and dried figs and the faintest of traces of dried cherries and a strong whiff of alcohol.

Taste is strongly alcoholic. Some medicine like notes. Dried sweet-tart cherries, dried cranberries, tawny port, iodine, alcohol, a little dried sweetness and a longish slightly bitter dry finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for a brew of this gravity. Though overall it is a medium-heavy bodied brew.

Buy a few bottles, drink some, and cellar some for later.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A number of years ago, when I had lost hope on ever drinking anything but the latest "IPA" or another over-hopped beer from an American micro-brewery, a friend of mine recommended Three Philosophers from Ommegang. He told me it would make me happy about the state of American independent brewing again. He was right. The added 2% blend of cherry ale in this amazing blend won me over right away--and so began my infatuation, nay, obsession, with Belgian style ales. Thank you Ommegang!

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Unbelievable, they say it couldn't be done. But it was. I tasted both the lambic and the belguim ale, and they mixed well. Two for one. Dark and carbonated, fruity, yet dry. I had so many great tastes in my mouth I felt like I never tried beer before. And one bottle, 750ml, will do you. Any more and lights out. A perfect feeling.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. The appearance is as should be with a Belgian Quad. Pours a thick off white head that recedes rather fast. Very dark, but crisp if you let it sit for a while. The smell is rich and caramel like.

Taste is much like the smell. Very rich with an upfront caramel note. The aftertaste houses a Lambic or Saison hint. Not overpowering... the perfect blend. Very smooth on the tongue. All and all, an incredible beer.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Opaque dark brown with hints of dark red when held up to the light. Minimal to no head.

S - A slight hint of booze, but that is quickly overtaken by a lovely aroma of dark chocolate and cherries.

T - Basically the same as the smell. The heat of the alcohol gives way to dark chocolate and cherry flavors, but lingers nicely. Absolutely fantastic.

M - Not horrible, but a little bit thin for my taste. For this kind of drink I'd rather have something that errs on the side of too thick than too thin.

D - Even at a high alcohol content, I would have no problem downing a whole bottle of this.

Notes - I'm not normally the biggest fan of Belgian ales, but I have yet to try an Ommegang brew that I don't like. This one is no exception.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - pours a deep ruddy brown with scarlet hues, 1 finger of slightly off-white bubbly head that recedes fairly quickly but maintains a nice layer of soapy foam that leaves some lacing
S - dark fruits, belgian yeast, alcohol, spices
T - dark cherries, belgian yeast, dates, alcohol, spices (ginger?), caramelized sugars, earthiness, toffee as it warms...wow
M - medium-bodied, sticky, nice moderate carbonation
D - this is a serious brew at 9.8 abv and is so easy to drink...I fell in love with this a long time ago and it's still great today. I could drink as many as it took for me to not be able to drink anymore...but I wouldn't ever do that because I respect beer....lol

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into my Chimay goblet this beautiful red,amber liquid produced a one finger head. The smell was of the promise of just what this beer is, a rich Belgian ale mixed with a cherry Lambic. The mouth feel is creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it interesting. The taste is heavenly. I love the sweet malts,caramel, and the cherry-vanilla finish. Just enough of the Lambic coming through to end on a sweet note. Where the 9.8% abv is hiding, I can't tell. This is by far one of the best drinking experiences I have encountered. The "breast milk" of beer!

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance:

Dark chocolate color very inviting. Good head upon pour dropping to a thin coating. Lacing throughout.

Smell: Complex. As are all quads. With all the goodies in this one, even more complex. Very pleasant though. Inviting. Full of flavor and complex multiple smells. A good deal of alcohol involved here. Cherries, loads of dark malt, chocolate, raisens, a treat.

Taste: Predominatley... smooth. So smooth. Silky. The style of this beverage has been embraced by this brewer, and they have done well. So the rating is (5!) Can't get any better!

Mouth: Again, smooth. silky. Glides along the way like a feather with so many exceptional flavors along the way..I couldn't imagine anything better, so the rating is (5).

Drinkabilty: "Sessionable" to an extent. Hold onto your seats due the high alc rating. But if your drinking quality beverage like this you're not likely to be one to be silly or stupid. Do not attempt to drive anything short of a lawn tractor. You'll get busted. This is one of those "two's too many" beers. Exceptional quality involved with this brew.

Highly enjoyable, drinkable beer, well qualified of my (5) rating.

Kind of like being at the "top" of the beer world, when you find something like this beverage.

Get some, try some. Enjoy. Congrats to the brewmaster on this one.

...WIlly.. outa Wanaque, NJ

Wonderful, all-around.

A strong beer, no question, but with a complex flavor, smooth and light mouth feel, extremely pleasant aroma, and very drinkable, provided you know how to appreciate a beer of this strength and style.

It's strong, which is evident in every aspect, but the flavors do not let the alcohol take over. Reddish-brown in color, with a minimal head and carbonation make this a fine sipping beer.

This particular bar serves it in its official glass, which is a small 9 oz. wine glass. All aspects of drinking this fine brew are a treat, without question.

If you have the opportunity to enjoy this beer on tap, by all means take it. It's worth it.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

This is currently my favorite beer. I wish I had this on tap at home.Kind of pricey. I love this beer. Cherry beginning with an abbey ale finish. Complex.Color,smell,taste,overall a wonderful beer made in the U.S. This is better than the Chimays,sorry guys.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

This is the brew that started my appreciation for beer. I can't remember what I poured it into. All I remember is that this particular brew tasted great. I was fascinated by the thick foam and aroma, as I gazed upon it. And the taste was unlike any beer I have ever had.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang