Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) | Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)
4.15/5

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

2010 bottle poured into a duvel glass. Cellar temp 55F.

Good two inches of foam, fell hard and fast to sticky lace.

Banana bread aroma upfront, backed by butterscotch and fresh baked caramel rolls.

Tart pie spice, orange peel and dark malt, then a tongue numbing booze and clove combo punch.

I expected more cherry kriek happening, but it must have aged out. Super fun beer to decipher but I wouldn't want more than one.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I feel like I have had this beer before. Maybe not. I have seen it before, I can tell you that. I love the label, and until I sat down to research this beer had no idea there were actually three philosophers. I like the fact they would sit around and “think about nothing”. I do that. The next time I look like I am starring off into space, just know that I am sitting there thinking about nothing!

Let’s see what this big beer has in store for us. It’s just shy of 10% ABV… bottoms up!

In the Glass: It looks like a barleywine in the glass, and there are tons of bubbles racing to the top. It has a very thick, creamy head that produces a solid lace. The beer doesn’t appear to be thick, but with an ABV that big I am sure it has something in there for the liking.

Nose: With an ABV of 10% I would expect to smell some of that booze. You don’t. The nose is weak, and has a subtle old ale sort of scent. The nose doesn’t stick around either, which worries me. I want this beer, based on all the talk, to be great. No better way to see than by drinking it! Here we go…

Flavor: Whoa. There are like ten things going on there. There is barely any carbonation. Those bubbles are deceiving. You get the simple sweetness on the front half of the palate before the smooth and warm alcohol induced finish takes hold. That heat sticks around too, and gives you a longing for another sip. Be careful though, because a beer like this can and will sneak up on you.

Mouthfeel: It feels good. It’s smooth, and doesn’t have the boozy flavors until the aftertaste. But even then, you are hit with the dark caramel and chocolate notes that make it easy to drink. I have been sipping on a Bell’s old style this week, so I am trying my best to not compare… but it’s close to that.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is good. It changes as time goes by, too. At first the aftertaste is warm, and covered with alcohol. Then it settles down and you get those dark fruits and that chocolate they talked about in the tasting notes. This beer is a quad, and whatever that means… it’s good. I would totally order this bad boy again. Bottoms up people!

Beer Name - The bottle says: “Created by blending a rich, malty, Belgian-style ale with authentic Kriek, a classic cherry ale from Belgium, our Quadruple is cultured yet wild, curious yet wise.”

“And remember: “philosophy begins in wonder” - Plato”

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer is a pretty shade of ruby with an inch of fizzy, beige head. A lot of cherries in the aroma, followed by Belgian yeast. Smells malty. The flavor is fairly sweet, with prominent cherry juice. Yeast takes a backseat to the sweet cherry flavor. Booze emerges more as I progress through the bottle. Overall, a good beer and one I would have again. That said, this is best only occasionally and in small doses. Cherry flavor becomes a bit cloying midway through. Interesting and worth a try.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang