Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) | Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Reviews: 2,086 | Ratings: 6,382
4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Ommefest on tap. I've ever only had this on tap but can't wait to open my 07 at home. Pours dark with a malty cheery chocolate nose and follows straight up on the pallet. Very complex and a great desert beer with dark chocolates. It's one of those beers I can't wait to see in 5 years. So damn great, my favorite ommegang.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured into a Chimay chalice. Body is dark brown with mild visible carbonation and floaters. As I drank the beer, the body color became more red over time (most likely due to more light going into the beer). The head is a creamy brown that started as one finger width and slowly reduced to a thin film.

S: Amazingly fruity yeast aroma full of cherry, plum, raisin, dark malt, caramel, and spices like cinnamon and allspice. I wish I could rate it higher than a five, it's that good.

T: Starts with spicy malt and caramel, then transitions to tart dark fruits, and ends with an alcoholic kick.

F: Medium / full bodied and really foamy with medium carbonation. There is some warmth as it rolls across the tongue.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

A soft brown body pours out into a Chimay goblet; off-white, gently settling head--strong head that holds sway...fragrant, ester-laden bouquet strikes immediately--the lambic quality plays nicely in the crisp Hallertauer hops--malts are balanced well enough to hint at something amber...light, soft flitter on the lips and teeth; smooth enough to sneak through to the throat without much fanfare...definite acidic grape presence...hops keep the taste tart...the 9.8 % alcohol is present, yet overall accomplishes a mellow, malty finish; almost no aftertaste--this beer excels in its self-control... a wonderful Easter ends with this Quadrupel, and a great end at that--with the bold passion of a merlot, Three Philosophers displays body and taste sophisticated enough... the Ommegang guys miss little, and this beer could keep me philosophical with a rather clear buzz as the bottle drains...

4.82/5  rDev +17%

This came in a nice looking 750ml corked bottle. This appears a nice brown color with dark red hues in the light with a nice sized beige head. While receding down to a collar of bubbles there are nice sheets of lace left clinging to the glass that stay for the duration. A very complex aroma rises out of the glass the smells of sweet fruits, caramel malt and the cherry lambic can be detected as well more so when it warms. There are also trace amounts of alcohol and spice in the nose as well. The taste starts of with the sweet caramelized malts with fruits such as apples and cherries coming through. The finish has a good earthy hop flavor, slight alcohol with a lingering cherry taste. There is so much going on in the taste I will need to pick up a few more bottles to fully appreciate this tasty brew. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with a coating light fruit sweetness that is amazing. This is defiantly a sipper but I could sip this all day provided I had no plans. This is defiantly one of my new favorite beers, great job by Ommegang.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 750ml caged corked bottle.

A deep ruby brownish color with the obligatory 'funky' smell of a Belgian style ale, with cherries, plums and a bit of raisins and spice.

A bit of fizz on the mouthfeel and nice lacing on the glass.

Taste of spice cake, raisins and plums, cherries more in the aftertaste. Slight bitterness in the finish too. If you can go a bit between sips this beer leaves a wonderful taste in the mouth for some time. Smells so good too.

Highly reccommended, this is one of my desert island beers.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

On a recent trip to the Baseball H.O.F. I stopped by the Ommegang Brewery and picked up a 750ml. bottle of this cave aged ale. Like most people I was skeptical with the "Cave Aging", in which the ale is cellered in near by Howe Caverns for 9 months, but after sampling this ale I had to get some more to bring home. As good as Three Philospheres is, this cave aged varity is even better!

A - Poured a dark amber (sweet tea)color with a creamy tan head. Lacing clung to the glass in a circular pattern.

S - Fruity to the nose with strong notes of chocolate covered cherry and raisins and a good amount of alcohol.

T - Sweet and slightly bready. Complex, with a good amount for fruit and chocolate. Finishes slightly dry with a nice, but not over powering alcohol kick.

MF&D - Creamy and full bodied. The high alcohol content makes this one a definite sipper. This is a special ale, I highly recommend this one , if you can find it.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Look: Pours a muddy reddish brown color with a rocky one and a half finger beige head that retains for a time but leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma: Probably one of the best smelling Quads I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. Lots of red licorice and candied plums. Tamarind, peat smoke, rye bread, banana, clove, dates and figs.

Flavor: At first I tasted this chilled, the taste was a little muted so I had to let it warm up.

Served at room temp, this beer really opens up. I'm getting lots of fruit, like red figs, dates, raisins, plums, tamarind, apples, cherries, cranberries... even pomegranate. There are also delicious tones of red licorice candy throughout.

Restrained yet complex notes of caramel and chocolate dance in the background, as well as yeasty belgian flavors of banana, clove, bubblegum and white pepper... it's understated but provides an excellent contrast to the sweetness of the fruit.

Feel: Creamy, heady and smooth. Dry and estery; sweet but balanced by a mild floral character. Heavy body with low carbonation. Alcohol is there, but you will only notice it once if you really search for it.

Overall: This is one you really want to take your time with and sip over the course of an hour or so. It's so complex and decadent you don't want miss a beat.

4.81/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

All I can say is wow. Was not expecting this from a quad, but I'm not disappointed.
Look: clear for a bottle conditioned beer. Nice dark amber, two finger caramel head.
Nose: Smells just like Port wine. Caramel, cherries and port wine. I could just sniff this till it evaporated it's smells that good.
Taste: Brown sugar and caramel up front. Lots of cherries on the middle of the tongue. Nice malty bread finish.
Overall: This is a fantastic beer. A Lil outside the box for a quad but we'll executed. If this was rated like wine I'd give it a 95. One of my new favorite and now in my top 5. Go get one, you won't be disappointed.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

poured from a 12oz bottle to a 24oz wide mouthed mug...

A - poured to a luscious 2 1/2 finger head, consistent lacing throughout. Color is dark, chocolate brown to cherry amber, truly a sight to see...

S - rich malts, caramel toffee, cherry, grassy and choppy

T - amazing rich deep and complex, really get the beautiful combination of cherry and toffee.

M - Smooth as silk, wonderful yeasty wheat bite

D - The taste allows you to drink it all day, but the 9.8% abv will definitely hold you back.

All in all an exceptional brew and one that on one should miss

12oz bottle

reddish brown w/ slight haze from the pour

light brown head - moderate length (good for the %)

medium to full mouthfeel - complex flavors of fruit pit acidity and dryness to background notes of biscuit and sweet malts

strength is evident in the stomach, but subdued on the palate

cherry lambic character is subtle and serves as support rather than the main event

finish is moderately long and slightly drying

a modern classic of blending A+

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer ROCKS!! This was the winner of the "Create A Great Beer" contest hosted by Real Beer. The winning entry was submitted by Noel Blake of Portland Oregon.

I was only given a small glass so I can't comment on the head. But it was an Amber Brown hue, had a great plum/apricot fruity ester. It had little bitterness but had a phenol spiciness that played very well with the fruitiness without overpowering.

It had an amazing drinkability for a 9.8% Get some while you can, I know I am going to be putting a few down as it should age very well.

As for the style, if you can think of a better one it should be in please change it.

Man I love my job :-)

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I visited the Ommegang brewery with a friend 3 years ago before we had even heard of Ommegang. Neadless to say, 3 years later, we're both still drinking the brews from Cooperstown on a regular basis. Rare Vos and Ommegang were our brews of choice, and although I still drink all Ommegang offerings, Three Philosophers definately takes presidence.

Upon pouring into an Ommegang chalace, the alcohol was instantly apparent. The color was a nice dark amber. The head and lace dissipated rather quickly, but I have found this to happen with all 3-Philosophers I've dranken, so it didn't surprise me.

The smell, apart from alcohol, which mellowed towards the end of the beer was nice and fruity with a definate black cherry aroma.

Now cherry aromas are nice and amber color is good, but what gets me about this beer is the taste. I have loved this medium body beer since the first time I've tried it. It's one of the few beers my wife, who is not a beer lover, said that she would be able to drink a whole glass of. I love the way the malt flavor mingles with chocolate and licorace overtones. It is such a beautiful, well crafted beer, I figured that it should be the first beer I rate.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Deep and dark with an orange trim. The head is beautifully thick, light caramel color, that's frothy and sticky.

Smell: Surprisingly I did not get as much cherry on the nose as I expected. There's a spicy and herbal notes to it. I'm getting some other dark fruits in the background such as raisin, figs, and plum.

Taste: This is by far one of my favorite Quadrupels. There's deep complexity here that makes the beer rather difficult to figure out (and I don't think I have entirely). I'm getting heavily toasted malt, plum, figs, sour cherries, clove, rum, dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: It is well balanced on the malt thickness and stickyness with enough carbonation to keep the beer lively.

Overall I definitely love this beer. It's delicious and I'll recommend it to anyone.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Another great beer from Ommegang. This one's very complex: lots of fruit, lots of spice, including cloves and nutmeg. Extremely drinkable. A nice head that lasts a while and smells wonderful. Take plenty of time to enjoy the aroma. You cannot go wrong with this.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm very new to Belgian style beers and I don't know too much about them, but I know that I really like this one! It's a Quadrupel mixed with a cherry lambic. It is on the sweet side, but not too sweet, it's a nice blend.
This is one of my personal favorites and I usually have a 750ml in my fridge at all times. A great buy, if you get a chance, try it!

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle poured into two glasses. A snifter and a tulip.

Both glasses looked lovely, although the snifter brought out a slightly stronger aroma. Pours a beautiful cherry oak hue. The head was light and fluffy, showing a tint of red, that stuck around. The beer maintained a great level of lacing throughout the drink.

The aroma was herbal with some smells of spice and dark fruit. It tasted of dark fruits which was a great mix. I did not taste or smell an cheery, which the label said was added. The medium body maintained its mild level of carbonation and flowed very smoothly.

This beer was delicious. I would without a doubt purchase this beer again

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

this is quite possibly the best beer i have ever had. beautiful redddish brown with a wheaten colored head. smells like cherries and toffee. very nice. the taste is fruity upfront, but leads up to nice complexity. sweetness mixes with roasted notes and tofee flavors round out a sharpness. the finish is slightly warming in the chest. very nice. extremely drinkable. a few members have described as luxurious. in new hampshire we would said this kicks major ass. great brew.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I had seen ratings of this and immediately built it in my mind to be a life changing experience, and while it did fall just short of the latter description, it certainly wasn't far off. I suppose it'd get a full 5 out of me if its finish was just a tad smoother, because I really can't come up with anything else legitimate as a complaint.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I love this Quad! At first I thought that a Quad from New York would not be worth it. In my history, any attempt at a Belgian beer without being from Belgium was a flop.

This one pours a deep brown with glimmers of red and orange. The billowy head is very reminiscent of a Belgian. A whispy lace dances around the glass, just the right amount!

Strong cherry and roasted spice in the nose! Lovely presence in the nose that makes me start to salivate.

The cherry is very evident and just keeps this from being perfect, sadly. But what a taste! As excellent a Quad as I have had!

Just the perfect balance and body in the mouth and goes down with a kind warmth. An absolute gem of a beer!

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Reddish brown in color with very nice head and loads of lacing. Medium alcohol smell with dark fruit smell (kinda raisiny). Great smell for a quad. HUGE taste. Very sweet with distinct graininess. Strong alcohol flavor without the burning. I'm not sure why that is. Slight toffee flavor. Ridiculously smooth mouthfeel. This brew is great. A bit dry on the palate. Still lots of dark fruits in the finish. This is a great brew. I can't wait for the bottle in the cellar to get some age on it. Grab a bottle of this or I'll hunt you down. Not seriously but you need to try it.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Nice dark maroon body, with lots of red highlights visible. Head is very large on the pour, which fades slowly to a solid creamy layer of foam. Lots of alcohol and cherries in the nose, other dark fruits and rum also present. Very rich and malty, witth dark chocolate covered cherries the showpiece. This is a very big beer, very interesting beer, the cherries play a big aprt of the experience. I like it a lot.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Exceptional. I picked this one up after having tried Ommegang's Abbey Ale a few weeks ago. And being a fan of krieks and cherry-based beers, I couldn't resist the curiosity of just what "2% ale with cherries added" meant.

A - Poured out of a 750ml capped and corked bottle into my Delirium Tremens snifter. Shades of ruby, blood and garnet, holding up to the light, it turned solid red with a layer of orange on top. Minimal head retention, but great lacing throughout.

S - Smells of a true Belgian. Tart, fruity banana aroma that's typical of the style/origin. Appetizing, sweet, it smacks of great taste and better things to come.

T - Carbonation first crashes against the palate, but is almost immediately overwhelmed by a big, fat, alcoholic cherry. I love that effect! Tart notes of alcohol come first, but are instantly settled by tones of cherry, biscuit malts. Again, exceptional. Alcohol on the high notes, sugary complex cherry in the middle, biscuits and undertones of toast on the bottom. Imagine crushing a soothing brandy-soaked cherry between your tongue and upper palate.

M + D - Alcohol settled quickly along my tastebuds, it's still a Quadrupel so I'm not knocking it. Wonderful drinkability for this style.

One of the best beers I've ever tried. I'm very satisfied and will return to this one very soon.

4.78/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wine glass.

A - Poured a deep copper, big off-white head.

S - Caramel, booze, and some unknown tartness. A foreshadowing of what was to come.

T - An immediate wave of delicious Belgian caramel malts hits hard, a multi-faceted web of caramelly flavors, followed by an increasingly intense yeast character, mainly of phenols and solventlike esters. Then, on the back, comes this oh-so subtle tartness, accompanied by a quiet sweetness from the kriek.

M - Nice and creamy, just as dry as you'd want from an ale like this.

O - Has a similar character to the classic Belgian quads, but with an added complexity from the kriek and incredibly powerful yeast character.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Poured into sturdy chalice. Poured with a thick, light caramel colored head. After the head dissipated there was minimal, but pretty lacing. A medium-deep brown with a slight reddish tint. A welcoming aroma featuring fruit and spice notes. The flavor follows the lead of the aroma closely, but the fruit flavors have a stronger presence. Enjoyably so. A well balanced, continually interesting flavor that opens up more and more as time goes on. The body is pleasingly full, smooth and and well-rounded. Very drinkable, but because this beer hides its alcohol so well, be aware of what you're involved with. A long time favorite from a well respected brewery.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a chalice. 2008 vintage.

Boom! Uncorking this bottle, the cork absolutely flew all the way across my apartment. There was no gushing though, guess the yeast has done plenty of munching over the past four years. This brew pours a hazy deep ruby color with a modest head that quickly drops down to a ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is big on sweet and dark fruits, and not too much else.

The taste is excellent, this bottle progressed very well. The sweet fruit flavors, especially cherry, are still dominant, but lacking their sharp edge. The dark fruits and chocolate get their chance to shine on the finish. There's a nice backing provided by the yeast. The alcohol sometimes present in fresher bottles has now completely mellowed, this is now a super-easy drinker. The mouthfeel is solid, it's lightly carbonated and goes down very smoothly. The drinkability? Off-the-charts. This brew just goes down so easily, any hint of alcohol this beer presented is completely gone, making this one very dangerous. Overall, I'm very happy with this beer. It's just straight-up delicious.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang