Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |
Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Reviews: 2,058 | Ratings: 6,253
2.84/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance - Cloudy ice tea looking brew with a creamy tan head.

Aroma - Black cherries.

Palate - Fizzy carbonation.

Flavor - Noticeable alcohol up front. Sour cherry flavor with a slight metallic aftertaste.

Final thoughts - Very tart. A little to much noticeable alcohol for me to enjoy.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

A: Beautiful clear red/dark amber color topped by a thick 2 finger off-white head.

S: Unfortunetly, I don't get ANYTHING but a tad of caramel on the smell. I expected a LOT more from this beer. The only reason why I didn't give the smell a 1, was because I just don't smell anything. Its not offensive, it's just not there.

T: Improves on the taste quite a bit, but I think it's still on the weak side. I get figs and plums right up front, and some toffee in the mid palate. The finish is dominated by alcohol presence and residual flavors.

M: Full bodied and moderately carbonated. This beer is nothing special on the palate.

D: It's okay at best, due to the alcohol. I would never have more than one of these. I bet it's good with a cigar.

2.86/5  rDev -30.6%

I'm hoping that I just have a bad bottle. This pours like a classic Belgian dark, small beige head that doesn't last long. Not much lacing if any. Smell is of a harsh liqueur with the fruit subdued. Alcohol predominates. Taste follows the pattern of the smell. This brew was harsh alcohol, very little fruit, some slight cherry notes like cough syrup. Rather than the best of a Belgian dark and cherry lambic, this tastes as if I'm getting the nearly 10% abv with some cherry flavoring. It is certainly sippable, but it didn't meet my expectations. I will try this again, given its obvious reputation. Wish me luck with the next bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Mahogany in color, that leaves about a finger of head, that leaves no lacing at all

S - Sweet, lots of dark fruit as well as strong hint of cherries.

T - First sip is like cough sipper, not to fond of this one, lots of maltiness as well as strong cherry flavor.

M -Light and creamy not as much carbonation as I thought.

D - Not really my type of beer.

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

poured from 750 mL brown bottle.
label says bottled in 2003, so this beer is around a year to a year-and-a-half old.

pours a nice reddish/brown color with a HUGE head. lots of carbonation in this one. smells of sugar, cherries and spicey booze.
the beer was way way harsh on the palate. very astringent and medicinal taste hits you right off the bat. you can taste a slight cherry taste (from the lindemans kriek blended in) as well as regular ommegang ale, which is nice, but the alcohol isn't hidden at all and the significant malt and yeast can't cover up the boozey flavors.
the label says it's ready for immediate consumption without aging, but i don't agree. this one definitely wasn't ready for drinking. i was disappointed, especially considering how much i love ommegang, hennepin and rare vos.

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

I had this again 10/24/06. I was too kind last time.

Pours a cherrywood color with a decent enough head that dissapears to almost nothing, not what i'd expect of a quadrupel. Smells of cherry and alcohol. Taste is initially candy cherry, cough drop cherry without so much menthol. Medicinal. To be fair, this fades a bit and there are other flavors underneath, but this overwhelms them, sadly. Any subtleties are masked, and it's pretty much cherry alcohol riding through to the finish. Phenolic, fusels even? Mouthfeel is quite nice though, full, with nice carbonation. Not very drinkable at all. Slow sipping is tolerable, but why would I want to? Interesting idea, quadrupel+lambic but in the end not so good. I've had this brew a few times, didn't like it before and thought maybe i'd age it a bit to see if it improved, and it did, but only so far as to mute everything and make it less offensive. Ah well, can't like em all.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured out of the bottle into a Duvel type tulip. Foamy head gives way to thin slick of head. Smells like dark fruit and lots of alcohol. Slight fake cherry taste mixed other fruits. Maybe raisons. What stands out to me is the heat of the alcohol and the bitter finish. Taste smooths a bit as it rests/breathes. I didnt find this beer very enjoyable. I do not plan on purchasing it again.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from the bottle into my Stella Artois chalice.

Color was a murky brown with hints of amber.

Smell was sweet and tart. Very powerful aroma that I could smell even when the bottle was a couple feet away.

Taste starts off sweet and alcoholic and quickly disappears into a watery taste. Not much to write home about here.

Overall drinkability was average. The high ABV is masked fairly well and the beer goes down easy. However, the lack of taste doesn't make the beer particularly enjoyable or unenjoyable.

This is one of the more disappointing quads I've had. You should definitely spend a couple more dollars to get the good stuff if you're in the market.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

2010

A: pours a chocolate leather ale with two fingers of graham head which falls to a thick quilt in a couple minutes. The quilt dies down to a thin, broken sheet in a few more minutes. Where light can shine, clarity is excellent and reveals a nice caramel ale. Scantly spotty lacing.

S: Yeast is up front here and and maintains throughout as the baseline. There are some earthy hops and hints of candy sugar, but really seems one dimensional from this aspect. some hints of pear juice.

T: Yeast and pear juice. Some faint metallic flavors. The yeast is a little more subdued here but thrives once again in the finish. The alcohol here is well presented and only hints at it's presence. I keep going back to the pear flavor, it's interesting.

M: Thin with high carb. Slightly satiating finish.

O: I think this is just average for a quad, honestly there's nothing here.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

2005 vintage consumed in Oct. of 2006.

A - Big, thick off-white foamy head. Very dark red body. Only very tiny carbonation is visible.
S - beautiful dark malt and deep cherry aroma.
T - Musty leather, sherry, mediera (has this been oxidized?), leather tar, dry with light bitterness.
M - Medium body with light carbonation.
D - Neither myself, nor any of the four people I shared this bottle with liked it at all.

Paired second glass with cherry pie without improvement.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

2009 bottle.

A: Medium amber color. One-finger head. Plenty of bubbles.

S: Smells like cherry wine.

T: Tastes like a Halls cherry throat lozenge. Could not finish it.

M: A little more carbonation than I have seen in a Quad before.

D: If you like sour cherry taste, there is nothing to stop you from drinking this. I wouldn't take another one for free...

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

The appearance is cloudy brown with a light tan head that is quite sticky and frothy.

Smell is of cherries and other fruitiness.

The flavor is earthy and sweet. This beer has quite a unique and complex taste. Alcohol is also present.

Its mouth feel is full bodied and almost syrupy.

Drinkability is low. This is a sipping beer for sure and at 9.8% you had better take your time with this one.

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

This was a very strong and intense beer. I didn't really like it just for that reason. Overall it was just to hopy for me. It did have a nice color and feel, however. On another note, I am looking for someone to tell me what book(s) or place will teach me more about what I need to know in order to appreciate beer.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

Light brown in color and cloudy with a thick foam head. Fruity and malty nose. Smooth attack with an extremely fruity and thick malt flavor. Very thick and heavy mouthfeel. The flavor of the fruit and the malt intensifies at the finish. The flavors weren't my favorite and the intensity is a downer on drinkability for me. Perhaps I just haven't had enough Quads to know what a truly good one is, but this just didn't do it for me.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a ruby black-brown with a thin tan head that leaves a bit of lacing. The smell is leather, baked cherries and phenols. Very different. The taste is bitter up front, then tart cherries, then a rum-fruit flavor. There are some raisins in there. Interesting but very odd. The finish is dusty dry. I love quadrupels and I really like lambics. This....is just not for me. The mouthfeel is silky and carbonated, right on the money. The drinkability is limited by the acidic leather taste up front and the dry dry finish. Nice try but I'd have to recommend several of their other beers over this one.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

This brew pours a small head of light brown moslty lasting bubbles and a brown colored body. It had a strong bubblegum and alcohol aroma with an overpowering alcohol flavor. THe alcohol flavor was so strong I couldn't get passed it to any of the other flavors than may have been present.

Pours a dark amber brownish color with a little one finger head that gave way to some lacing. The smell is of black cherries and sweet roasted malts. The taste is a strong malt backbone with black cherries overriding the malt at the tail end. There is also an alcohol taste from middle to end, there is a good deal of bitterness that starts at the beginning and is present throughout. The mouthfeel is a little slick and oily, with a low to moderate carbonation, not as high as i would have thought. This beer is below average on drinkablility, it is very strong and a little overpowering in the middle.

3.01/5  rDev -26.9%

12 (11.2?) oz bottle @ the Winking Lizard. Poured carefully into an open mouthed glass.

Looks really nice. Plum and brown with amber edges, a half finger white head sticks around forever (it's still there, they had to throw out the glass).

Smells lke some dark ripe fruit. Plum, cherry, raisins, brown sugar and Belgian yeast. Some noticeable alcohol.

Taste is rather underwhelming. I've had this beer a ton in the past, I'm a fan of quads, but this is just too ambitious and too transparent for me. I'd love a bit more yeasty esters, but instead I get dark fruit, brown sugar, vanilla, booze, and puke. I'm not kidding. The aftertaste from this beer tastes like vomit from someone who has been drinking raisin vodka. Disgusting.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy carb, and tons of heat from the obvious alcohol.

Drinkability suffers from the hotness. I have a 2006 bottle in the cellar and will re-rate, but this beer just falls waaaay short of the legends of quadrupel fame.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Lovely mahogany-hued ale with cherry lambic added, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Subtle, pleasant cherry aroma, with vanilla-oak undertones. Underlying presence of raisins and dates as well, which bouquet nicely as it warms.

I was afraid the cherry lambic would overwhelm but it doesn’t. This is a mostly malty ale with a fruity finish, though all in all, there’s nothing overly distinctive that I can say about the taste. In fact, as the label states, the sweet caramel malt and dark cherries do in fact “confound” my tongue – just not in the best way.

Smooth mouthfeel is achieved with a mild carbonation balanced with a nice creaminess.

Glad I had a chance to sample it. I might like to try this with a nice fruit tart or truffle some other time.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Amber-cherry in color. Thin, soda-like, off-white head with poor retention. Not much lacing either.

Can't get much in the smell department. Pretty clean and grainy.

Bread grains in the flavor. Cherry character adds sweetness and tartness to the mix. Mild herbal hop.

Medium to full bodied. Harsh, soda-like bubbles. Way overcarbonated!

I was thoroughly disappointed with this beer. I expected something exceptional and got a beer which is average at best. Nothing about this impressed me. Lacked depth and character.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Based on a recommendation by the beer guy I purchased a 2011 bottle. Poured to tulip the beer arrives a fairly clear dark amber with a decent 2 finger off-white head. Good retention and lacing. A lot of yeast particles though, even after proper handling and aging in the cellar. The nose is fruity sweet with cherry as well as hints of toffee, caramel malts, and plum character. The flavor follows the nose with caramel malty sweetness that doesn't display the cherry flavor as indicated with the nose. More fig. Alcohol warmth is noticeable. Hints of banana from the yeast. Full bodied and well carbonated but unremarkable. Overall, this is very average in my opinion. Nothing really remarkable to review and at $10 I can find better Quads.

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

Three Philosopher's - Belgian Style Blend

Pours dark cola color with a light mocha head. Head remains with a consistent lace that lasts. Smell includes a honey richness. Small hints, minimal, cherry that appears after consumption. Is a thin mouthfeel, not heavy like other Quad's I've tried. Definitely a US interpretation of a Belgian quad. The high ABV is masked by a light taste. Overall decent. May try other Ommegang brews.

Bought at Binny's in Elmwood Park, IL

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This bottle was purchased as a 3 pack with other ommegang beers. Poured into an ommegang glass.

Poured wonderfully with great head. Head looked like pancake batter. Deep ruby mahogany in color, similar to the arrogant bastard. Smelled of bread, biscuits and spices. Taste was mighty boozy for me and difficult to enjoy because of the booze affect. Felt good and wasn't very drinkable for mer personally.

*I may revisit this beer in a year or two as my palate refines

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance: Deep brown color with hints of red and a thick, small head.
Smell: Bitterness and tartness, but fresh.
Taste: Pretty much what I expected. A quad with a little bit of cherry in it. It's very well balanced in terms of hops/malt. Not as complex and hearty as I'd prefer in a quad. The cherry flavor gets old pretty quick.
Mouthfeel: Lighter than most quads.
Drinkability: I was done with this after one glass. Unfortunately I had a lot more I needed to drink. Huh.
Notes: 2003 Edition.

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer was quite complex. Chilled, it is not very good. As it warms up, it becomes much more pleasant. It tastes good at first, but it has something in the aftertaste which is quite off-putting. I cannot tell what that is. I am very curious what the underlying beer mixed with the lambic is. I love lambic, and I enjoy the one they used. I may or may not like the underlying ale. I may just not like the combination. The flavors didn't seem to complement each other. This is worth the try, but I will not be having this again.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang