Chocolate Indulgence Stout | Brewery Ommegang

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Reviews: 703 | Ratings: 1,297
2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

12/23/07- Purchased at Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. 2007 10th Anniversary release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour. Somewhat creamy looking one inch slightly off white head. Decent lace marking left over.

Smell- Smells like a BBQ pit with old dried up meat on it. Smoky and rauch-like, but with scorched animal flesh. Definite chocolte though, which saves the scents ass.

Taste- From sip one I'm getting a mouthfull of metal....plus it never goes away. It lessens a bit, but not to the point where I can enjoy this beer. Chocolate is present, dark chocolate that is, but not to the point that it came out in the nose. Belgian dark fruits (plums and dates), are covered up by both the roasted and burnt malt and the metal notes.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is mid range, but the metal and light hoppy aftertaste doesn't do it for me.

Drinkability- Would like to try this beer again (minus the metal). Would be better, but still thinking I wouldn't be as impressed as I should.

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence 2007 bottling

A- Opaque black-brown. Medium brown, lively, lacy head. Even with gentle handling, the yeast sediment was dislodged and released chunky white particles through every pour, but I do not consider this a flaw.

S- Roasted hazelnuts, roasted tree nuts and ground nut. Wet cardboard. Funk, yeastiness.

T- Attacks with dark-roast bitter coffee. Mid-palate is of maduro cigar tobacco and weak cocoa. Finishes with a burnt grain, bitter cocoa, and cigar ash notes.

M, D- I expected more creaminess, body and structure here. There is some roundness up front, with a lightweight body in the middle, and a burnt, bitter finish. Drinkable, strightforward, but certainly not an "indulgence".

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a dark nearly black opaque brown with a small tan colored head. The head eventually reduces to a three hundred and sixty degree collar with random spots on top.

Smell is nearly nonexistent. All I'm really picking up on are faint hints of bitter cocoa and perhaps some dark fruit. This is leading me to believe this will be a disappointing beer.

Very subtle hints of cocoa and metal. Not sweet, really just a bittering cocoa finish. Lacks any degree of complexity. In my opinion it barely has a single dimension let alone any depth. Maybe raisins? But I feel I'm grasping in the dark for something that just isn't there. I can't say enough about how this is not bad, but rather the absence of good or bad. It just is and isn't much. I tried it at varying temperatures and I couldn't find much to indulge in.

Mouthfeel is on the good side of medium and has a slightly creamy consistency. Very drinkable, but mostly because the alcohol is hidden and there's nothing much going on. Very little taste. I'm vastly disappointed. Did I get an off bottle? Am I just missing something? I expect much better from Ommegang. Overpriced and underdone.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Shared with the family for Christmas. Poured into three Sam Adam's Lager Glasses (Fourpack for Christmas).

Quick tan head on a black body.

Subtle nutty aroma. Not much in the nose.

The bitter chocolate dominated the flavor. There is a bit of dark roasted flavor, but all I could taste is unsweetened chocolate. Not impressed.

It did have a full luxurious mouth, which was the best quality.

I'm glad I shared it with my cousin and my sister, because I could not have drunk it all by myself.

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml corked and crowned bottle, ~$9 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK. Bottle states 7% ABV. No specific dating evident, but bottles lists it as a 10th anniversary brew, 1997-2007.

Appearance: deep brown, opaque, with medium brown, dense creamy head, significant lacing in rings. Very attractive.

Aroma: roast and chocolate dominate, little else discernible.

Taste: Again it's mostly roast, with a moderate taste of chocolate. Distinct metallic flatness throughout, especially in the finish. Fruity esters, metallic, and chocolate compete in the finish and aftertaste.

Mouth: Moderately thick to full, slightly sweet, tingly finish. A little alcohol warmth noted.

Overall: An interesting, somewhat drinkable beer that would probably be quite good if not for the profound metallic taste, which makes rating it complicated. To try to be fair, I tasted the first pour in a 20 ounce (standard shaped) pint glass that was washed in the dishwasher, and then a second taste in a wide-bowl red wine glass that I carefully washed and completely dried by hand, to make it beeer clean, and got basically the same metallic in both. Ms. Warmstorage got the same thing in both tastings, without prompting from me. The metallic nature is a significant flaw, and I feel like I had to ding the beer in both taste and drinkability for it.

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into a specialty pint glass. I mean would you want it any other way?

A: This beer isn't as dark as some stouts, but really looks...well...chocolaty. Like someone mixed black patent malt in your cocoa. Light head, but a good looking beer.

S: No real WOW moments here. the chocolate notes are very subtle and the maltiness is somewhat down played.

T: What a let down! I was really excited about this beer, but so much for that. This isn't even a great stout, plus the price of the bottle makes me regret the purchase in the first place. Has a little bitterness on the end, but nothing of note. And there is a strange flavor that I assume goes to the yeast strain. not too great.

M: Meh...it's kinda like the Obama adminstration...could be worse, but could be better too.

D: I know what I wont be getting another bottle of! I love Ommegang brew, but honestly I haven't been this dissapointed in a LONG time. If you wanna share it with some beer loving friends go ahead, but you've been warned.

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Flying Saucer downtown Nashville. Poured into a snifter.
The name "Chocolate Indulgence" and the consequent expectations are honestly what killed this beer for me. Good name for a lactose stout, not so much for a Belgian dark ale.

L - Thin pour with half finger head. Very dark with red tints.
S - Fruit forward nose with minimal chocolate

Taste and mouthfeel are on par with the aroma. Decent dark ale but almost no chocolate.
I probably would have enjoyed this much more had I not been asking "where's the chocolate indulgence?" the whole time. If given an obscure (non-flavorprofile) name, those subtle chocolate notes would have been a bonus rather than a hindrance.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Gouden Carolus goblet. There is a "Best By:" printed on the bottle, but no date printed after it.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark chocolate brown. Almost black, but not quite, no light getting through this one, not even around the edges. A dense, tightly packed light brown head rises quickly and sticks around for a couple minutes. Once it does fade, it leaves a very densely packed layer of foam.

Smell: Pleasant, soft, chocolate aroma. Cocoa, dark chocolate, and bittersweet baker's chocolate. There is the a touch of sourness lingering. Some roasted malts in there as well.

Taste: Similar to the nose, with the cocoa and bakers chocolate the main flavors. The chocolate flavors are dark, unsweetened, and bitter. The roasted flavors hit at the end, but contribute little to the aftertaste. The bitterness from the chocolate really hangs around after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Light body, high carbonation. The body is thin and light, and the carbonation level is fairly high. Even with the high carbonation level, the beer is smooth.

Overall: Tasty, although the flavor of unsweetened chocolate in this beer isn't really for me. The bitter aftertaste is a bit overwhelming, and made this beer a little bit of a struggle to finish.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Wow, nice mocha colored head, it seems to have two layers (almost light and dark chocolate).

Smell: Definite chocolate and some coffee, but not nearly as much chocolate as I expected.

Taste: I am not one for a "chocolate" beer but in this case I had been sitting on this bottle for a while and even had a slice of chocolate cake sitting by me when I popped it open. What can I say, the mood struck. Definitely not the level of chocolate I wanted, I was ready to go "all in" as one might say. Even looked around the house some for a different chocolate beer. That should tell you enough right there. Also a weird metallic / aluminum element (which makes me think AB).

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I expected.

Drinkability: No richness. You could drink it but I have no interest in doing so; at least the chocolate cake slice was excellent. Such a fancy bottle too. Average it was and average score it gets.

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%

750mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a medium-dark brown that is rendered ugly as fuck from the extremely large amount of yeast floating in the glass. This looks awful. The head is actually pretty lovely. Lion's pelt brown in color; two fingers in size with tight, gripping lace. The head saves the appearance score somewhat but all that yeast is hard to look past.

The nose is all spent grain and Toll House chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps a touch of rye, well not rye exactly. More like the rye bread chips in a bag of Chex Mix. Few beers contain the smell of straight-up wort like this beer.

Baker's chocolate and overcooked malt dominate the palate. Not much roast to speak of; just a kiss of semi-sweet chocolate chips chocolate on the finish. A touch of dark fruit comes out of the yeast. This beer basicaly tastes like those one pieces of chocolate in a Russel Stover's sampler pack that has a chocolate shell and a different-tasting chocolate center.

The body is medium-light. This is too thin for a beer calling itself a rich, indulgent stout. It comes dangerously close to being chocolate water. It certainly doesn't coat the mouth enough to really carry the chocolate to its fullest expression. I wouldn't call this a particularly drinkable beer. The chocolate overload can get to be too much and the mouthfeel does it no favors. Thankfully the ABV% is only 7%.

This is an OK beer. Very much one-note (that note is chocolate). A whole 750 would be too much for me. Pair this with a smore's Pop-Tart for best results.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Black, seems like a rather light body, nice tan head.
S - Light roast, bitter chocolate, seems like this will be a dry beer. More like a dry stout. Not much Belgian character here - maybe a few esters.
T- Slight chocolate, definitely dry, well carbonated. I actually do not get much of any taste out of this beer, surprisingly. I've let it warm up a while - and now I get something fairly acrid - maybe from dark malts, maybe from chocolate? Some slight bitterness. No real Belgian yeast character that I can easily discern. A disappointment. It will be hard to finish this.
M - Medium light, way too light for a stout.
O - A very bland, slightly bitter, not very chocolate, not very Belgian beer. This is the second dark beer I've had from Ommegang I've been disappointed with (Seduction was the other). Thinking they should stick to traditional Belgian styles.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Pours an opaque black body with a dense, lingering, beige head.

Smell: Aroma of cocoa powder with a noticeable sourish leaning. Light notes of roasted grains and a few snippets of licorice

Taste: Cocoa powder with a middling sweetness that's thin on chocolate flavor (especially when one considers the name), and makes up for it in sourness. Hint of licorice, roast. Slight bitterness. Dry, chalky finish with a peculiar aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Smooth mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Sorry, but no, I just didn't care for this beer that was about as much fun as peeling potatoes.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

750 ML into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Inky black from the bottle, and sits opaque in the glass. Huge, healthy head is dark brown, thick & whipped, and frothy like hot cocoa foam with retention that just won't quit! Sticky lace left behind.

A: Creamy dark chocolate, caramel, a little Belgian yeast, and alcohol. Not nearly as pronounced I would have liked.

T: Hmm...this isn't very interesting, and is a bit awkward. There is a nice dark chocolate presence here, but nothing like I expected. I take it they were going for a delicate approach, but it's just so subdued & restrained. I mean, it is called "Chocolate Indulgence" for pete's sake! As it is, the flavors just don't satisfy my chocolate craving, and the rest of the flavors fail to mesh. Anyways, there is some roasty malt and caramel flavors here in the start. Then, some coffee and dark fruitiness join in. Seems to shift more toward the bitter side with more of a powdery cocoa taste towards the tail-end, with hardly even a hint of Belgian yeast. Floral hops stay buried underneath.

M & D: The mouthfeel of this one really fails for me. It's too light-bodied and carbonated, and feels more like a Pale Ale than a Stout. I think if it were more thick and creamy, it would have done the chocolate right. Drinkability suffers from this, as finishing this felt like a chore.

Notes: This is a Stout? Sure in the hell doesn't feel like it. There's decent chocolate flavors here, but just not enough of it. Maybe a bigger, more robust malt character, and a fuller, more creamy body would have done it justice. They're going for delicate subtlety here, and while there is some good potential, it just completely fails as far as I'm concerned. I'm very disappointed with this one.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

750 ml bottle I got out of a Ommegang mix pack. Served up in a thin Ommegang goblet/chalice.

A: Pours a really nice dark black that lets barely any light in at all. Got a good finger of head from a careful pour, so the head is very vigourous. The head is dark mocha in color and has some serious staying power. It only recedes a touch and the head remains for the entire beverage experience. Lacing is spotty, leaving just a touch of soapy bubble goodness on the glass. Not a bad looking beer.

S: Smell is weak. Disappointing for sure. This one smells of some lightly roasted malt, a touch of coffee and just a bit of chocolate. Given the name, you would expect a stupid amount of chocolate assaulting the senses. Too bad because this is mild and not too great. Its not bad, but not what is expected at all.

T: Taste is a bit better. Once again, very nice roasted malt character coming through. Then you get a light cream and sugar coffee flavor. Then there is the chocolate. I was expecting a lot of varied chocolate flavor, but you only really get some smooth milk chocolate presence. Its not bad at all. It would get higher marks if it had a little more diversity in flavors.

M: This is the light side of medium. Its actually got decent carbonation that makes this go down very easily. ABV is not experienced on the palate at all. No aftertaste to mention, finishes pretty clean. Once again, needs tweaking because this could definately be thicker.

D: This is not a bad beer. Its got some decent flavors and very good to have with a tasting IMO, but I think it would be a better example of a chocolate stout that was very basic. This brew is basic but quick drinkable and accessible. Not bad at all, but absolutely has room for improvement.

2.97/5  rDev -22%

750ml bottle poured out into a tulip glass.

Look: dark, almost jet black with a deep brown highlight at the bottom of the glass if I hold my glass directly to the light. The head is thin but deep brown. There is a great deal of retention and a lot of lace left behind. Good looking brew.

Smell: surprisingly, kind of mild. There's a bit of dark chocolate and a hint of roasted grain but that's almost all there is. The chocolate is very mild, especially given the name "Chocolate Indulgence." My girlfriend even quipped to me that this beer might have no smell at all, and if I hadn't been determined to find the characters of this aroma, I might've missed them.

Taste: again, where's the Chocolate Indulgence? Subtle chocolate notes, some roasted malt, a bit of bitterness, but not much else. It almost tastes like a Russian Imperial Stout that stopped trying somewhere along the way and ended up somewhere between a stout and an Russian Imperial. If I really look for it, I can find some Belgian yeast qualities, a little licorice and some dark fruit.

Feel: on the thin side of medium bodied, not silky or creamy, not that rich but at least it is smooth. The alcohol is hidden. Not the best mouthfeel in the world, especially considering this is a chocolate stout.

Drink: kind of a fast sipper. I wouldn't have this all night but you could if it is your thing.

Overall, kind of disappointed in this beer. My girlfriend and I were selecting beer to drink while watching some Christmas movies and she wanted a Belgian, I wanted a stout, we compromised with a Belgian stout, and we were both disappointed. Our disappointment was more profound because we've recently tried the Hennepin and Three Philosophers and found both to be quite delicious.

Now, I reviewed this assuming it really should be filed under some mythical category called "Belgian Stout," but it is equally weak when compared to Belgian Dark Ales. There's just not much flavor and its lacking qualities you would know and love about Belgian beer.

I am not going to say this beer is bad, or that it is poorly crafted, because it isn't. It is decent. When you break it down into each category though, each one comes up short except the way it looks.

Ommegang can do much better than this. If you're going to name something "Chocolate Indulgence," at least make it supremely chocolatey. Hell, even Sam Adams's Chocolate Bock has a more in-your-face chocolate character than this. I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this either. If it falls into your lap, pop it and enjoy it but don't expect very much. If you have to make any kind of trade to get this or you are spending money on it, I wouldn't get it.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

750 ml bottle poured into a chimay goblet

Appearance: Pitch black with a tan head, bubbles hang around center mostly, lacing is not so strong

Smell: Aroma is actually quite mild with roasted barley and the scent of semi sweet chocolate coming through most strongly. (could be the glass)

Taste: Very smooth on the front with a taste of bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt. The claims of metallic are certainly true tho which dominates the after taste. It feels like there is a penny on the tip of your tounge. The glass isnt worth it folks

Overall: Wouldnt buy this again, i got it in the 3 pack and must say the the 3 philosophers and hennipin are better, and im really not a fan of saisons.

Color- dark onyx. Head is thick and huge tinted mocha.

Aroma- deep roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and hints of smoked meat.

Taste- The name is not accurate. Starts deeply roasted with clean charcoal notes in the middle finishing with lingering burnt coffee and 90% dark chocolate notes. Not a chocolate indulgence by any stretch of the imagination. Just an average Belgian style stout.

Poured from 750 ml corked bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 2/2/2014.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours deep brown with a huge mocha head. Aroma is a big dose of chocolate with a little belgian yeast thrown in. Flavor pretty offers chocolate peered with some fruity esters and spice from the yeast. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, not a fan of belgian stouts and not a fan of this one.

Appearance- Dark brown with a light brown head almost like cocoa

smell- Slight to no chocolate aroma

Taste- Not as chocoaltey as I thought it would be. I thought it would have a heavier flavor of chocolate than it did. I was kind of dissappointed.

Mouthfeel- Bubbly, carbonated

Drinkability- Hard to finish the whole one to myself..

3.01/5  rDev -21%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. The color is an opaque black; when held to my lamp, the only light that passed through came at the bottom where the glass is thinnest. Three fingers of thick, tanned head developed and dissipated slowly to leave trails along the inside of the glass and a billowy lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate and cocoa. It has a roasted quality to it, but it does not have that slight, burnt aroma that usually comes with roasted malts. It does, however, have a somewhat stale smokiness, like a large room you walk into and can immediately tell someone smoked a cigarette 10 minutes before.

Taste: It is astringent at first. My immediate impression was cigarettes. I don't smoke, but I have tried a cigarette or two and that's what the taste reminded me of. Go figure. Mirrors the smell with dark roasted chocolate (and the burnt character through in the taste), but the cocoa powder is elusive. There is some hop bitterness that leaves a nice bitter aftertaste, but beside the cigarette and dark chocolate there really is not much else.

Drinkability: If I wanted to, I could probably name five beers more chocolaty than this. After my first glass, I already have a headache. This is strike one against Chocolate Indulgence, but I would definitely try another bottle for comparison.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured this 750 ml into a long stemmed tulip.

This beer poured a deep dark black color. It provided no light to go through, and had a decent looking mocha colored head. At the end of the beer it really poured a lot of thick chew tobacco sediment.

The beer had a bland smell. I received heavy amounts of burned malt and chocolate. Overall not bad, but I wasn't very impressed by this anniversary beer.

The taste was average. I experienced some excellent chocolate notes, but that led to bitter burned malts and very little other flavor. Not a terrible brew but nothing to stand out from this amazing brewery.

It had a really good mouthfeel. This beer was rich and viscous. It did allow the beer to play around the mouth very nice. The flavors that were there did keep a wonderful residence.

The drinkability was alright, however after 750ml I was all set. Between the flavor, excess sediment, and lack of composition I didn't want anymore than what I had.

Final Thoughts - I was glad I got to try this beer. I love the Ommegang brewery and hold it in high regard. I was excited to get this bottle for $7 instead of $15, but this anniversary release was not my favorite. This was a good attempt by Ommegang but overall the beer didn't stand out like Ommegang usually does. Give it a try if you like the brewery, but there are definitely better chocolate stouts to be had.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-- Pours a dark opaque black with a cappucino colored head 2 fingers of fine carbonation
S-- roasted malts and cocoa powder looking for more chocolate based on name
T-- (not what I expected) thin on the watery side touch of chocolate and malts, coffee slightly bitter with a surprisingly strange metal after taste
M-- expected a nice creamy texture to chew on but missed out. very thin and not as sweet as the name represents
D-- based on the name not impressed glad I only bought 1 bottle, however take the lable off and not knowing what I was drinking it is a decent stout

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Pours a deep black with a big foamy head. Not much lacing, but good sustain.

S: Light smell of Belgian yeast and a faint chocolate aroma.

T: A typical Belgian sourness accompanied by a subtle chocolate flavor - an odd mixture that doesn't seem to work very well. Some typical Belgian-style phenols clash with the chocolate taste. As the beer warms, the sourness ebbs and the semi-sweet chocolate gains a bit of intensity (and improves), but the combination is still a bit awkward.

M: Moderate body and carbonation. A slight sourness lingers on the palatte.

D: Interesting and drinkable but far from transcendent. Nice to try, but I'll pass next time.

3.04/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark brown color with amber hued edges. A two inch light brown head forms on the pour and lingers with good retention leaving some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is ok but kind of boring. Slightly floral and hoppy with a bit of chocolate and booze.

The taste is ok, but again it's boring. It's pretty weak, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt come through. A bit of a floral hop and a touch of banana also show up.

Mouthfeel is thin and moderately carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. The flavor profile is kind of boring, but the beer isn't unpallateable. For me, there's not enough chocolate, and not enough stout. I understand that Ommegang does Belgian style beers, but as a chocolate stout this beer fell flat on it's face. If I rate it as a Belgian strong dark, it also doesn't even come close to others in the category. This one needs work.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

750ml bottle into a Deschutes tulip snifter

A - Great head formation - multi-colored and fluffy. Beautiful. Good head retention. Beautiful lacing. Beer is a deep dark brown.

S - Yeasty. Some roasted malt. Faint chocolate in the background.

T - I'm getting mostly the roasted malt characteristic. Not very chocolatey.

M - A little thin for a "stout" - but not too far off for a Belgian Dark Ale. A bit of roasted astringency. Still, has some presence.

O - Pretty underwhelmed. I bought this in a gift pack at Costco and almost wonder if it wasn't ket well. However, it doesn't taste old or damaged. If they called this "a hint of belgian chocolate" then I'd think, OK, that's about right. But "Chocolate Indulgence Stout" really fell short for me. This might appeal to fans of "restrained" flavors, but is not for fans of strong beer. It was ok, but I won't buy it for myself.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang