Chocolate Indulgence Stout | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Ratings: 1,304 |  Reviews: 706
4.63/5  rDev +21.5%

750ml bottle into 25oz snifter. 10th anniversary on the label ('97 to '07).

Pitch black with absolutely no light getting through, even when held up to the light. A thick and dense light brown head seems to last forever. On the first pour it was about two fingers high, when it settled to one finger, I added a little more beer and it stayed as a dense on finger head that goes nowhere. The retention of this beer is impressive. After a few minutes it settles to a pillow cap with a dense rim along the glass. Solid lacing all the way through.

Smells just like any other stout. Deep roasty malts with a good amount of black coffee. The dark bitter chocolate is very present in the aroma, very welcoming.

Deep bitter and roasty malt flavors. The bitter chocolate complements the malts very well. A little bit of spiciness is in there. I can't detect much of any hoppiness in there, which is fine with me. Full bodied.

I actually had Obamagang (Inauguration Ale) before I had this one, and I feel this one takes a slight edge. The chocolate is a bit stronger and the roasty malts dominate. Very little of the standard Belgian characteristics make it into this one. Smooth and complex, and a very tasty beer. Recommended.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Blackish color in the barlight, served with an attractive two finger head with a brown-gray tint. Nicely craggy and attractive. Tons of lace.

The nose is pleasingly chocolatey, although I wouldn't particularly mind if this sweetly roasted character were more prominent. A certain yeasty dryness.

Flavors of bittersweet chocolate, herbal hops, a little sweet but also sour in the middle. The finish is full but a little metallic.

Too thin by half: I would appreciate a more significant malt profile. I don't remember exactly how I felt about it in the bottle, but on tap I thought it was carbonated well enough and imparted a pleasant richness to the palate. Not a bad stout, but it seems insubstantial somehow.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into pint glass.

A = Nice uniform dark color. Slow soft pour left about a 2 finger head. More aggressive pour into another glass left about 3.5 finger head. Wonderful thick lacing down glass.

S = decent. Definitely smell chocolate and light hops.

T = not bad. Didn't quite hold up to what I was expecting, but not something to pass on again in the future. It won't be something I'll search out often, though. Chocolate was decently balanced, and maybe even a little thin. Beer had the body to hold it up, though.

M = just fine. Nothing fancy. No letdown.

D = Something I would have no problem drinking again, but would preferably have a port wine instead.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

picked this one up in a 750ml belgian style bottle and have been waiting a little bit to drink it, not sure why. it pours almost completely black with a nice tan colored head. the smell is malt and dry cooking chocolate up front with some bannana and clove from the belgian yeast and a little bit of coffee at the end. minimal carbonation, perfect for the style. mouthfeel is medium bodied with some alchol present as the beer warms. not much of a halflife to speak of.
this is a good stout from a good brewery. if your looking for chocolate, its really not full of it, but there definately has somewhat of a chocolate taste. however the belgian yeast really buts a nice twist on the taste as well as the aroma. exceptional beer.
CHEERS!

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Luxurious in appearance. Pours thick, gooey black, with a thick mocha colored head that looks like chocolate milk. Very bubbly looking. Not a ton in the way of lacing, though. Smells like cocoa powder and belgian yeast, with a little bit of sweet belgian sugars. The yeasty smell dominates though, and mingles with the chocolate for an interesting aroma.

Initial reaction: A lot rougher than I was anticipating. Chocolate flavor is chalky, and is far more bitter than I would have liked to seen. For me, it goes from bitter chocolate, all the way down to nothing. The whole thing is smoky more than creamy or rich. Once that flavor goes, it just thins out completely. Mouthfeel is kind of chunky and abrasive, in that I was expecting something silky smooth. This also considering that mouthfeel and overall bearing are pretty light. This is a little more like rough wool. It maintains decent drinkability considering thanks to the low ABV, but for me, this is just too one dimensional, where I expected something slinkier and more robust. Strip away the chocolate, and I'm left with a mainstream stout with nothing behind it. It's not terrible, but I certainly expected more.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to my bro for bringing this one to a family event.

A: Dark Black pour with an off white seriously frothy head. This has the appearance of a Belgian Quad, but looks slightly thicker, sitting there in the glass with the creamy foamy head. It looks marvelous!

S: There is not too much of a strong scent here, just some mild cocoa and yeast. ***Disclaimer** we sampled the Southern Tier Chokolat earlier in the session, perhaps we were still shellshocked.

T: A Yeasty beginning and finish. The cocoa is definitely there but not overhwelming. Its a malty creamy sipper, very enjoyable taste.

M: Velvety and Creamy a winner here on the mouthfeel.

D: Yes, this is drinkable for the style. A nice after dinner drink for sure but not only for such an occasion.

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but estery and a little metallic with some chocolate, Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

T: The taste is malty up front and has a metallic bite to it in the beginning, even after I let it sit for a while once it was poured. There are flavors of dark chocolate and Belgian yeast. The hops presence is mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for all the hype Ommegang gets and for this beer in particular, I don't think it was well-deserved. I was definitely not impressed with this beer at all.

Appearance- Dark brown with a light brown head almost like cocoa

smell- Slight to no chocolate aroma

Taste- Not as chocoaltey as I thought it would be. I thought it would have a heavier flavor of chocolate than it did. I was kind of dissappointed.

Mouthfeel- Bubbly, carbonated

Drinkability- Hard to finish the whole one to myself..

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

I'm a fan of what Ommegang has done, and a chocolate Belgian-style stout sounds great!
Pours a really dark brown that's nearly black. There are some deep brown highlights and a small to medium white head the form on a normal pour.
Smells like baker's chocolate, rich roasted coffee, and spicy yeast.
Not sure why there are so many reviews that claim they aren't getting the chocolate. It's definitely there, and I don't just mean baker's cocoa. It's definitely a dark chocolate, but it's pretty obvious. With the roasted flavors, it's like a mocha. Unlike some other Belgian stouts, this one keeps the yeast in check...which is good in my opinion. It isn't always something that blends well. In this case it's peppery, but in the distant background. Hops there there and you can pick them up, but luckily their earthy flavor blends more with the chocolate and doesn't really seem overdone. There's no alcohol heat or potency at all. Great tasting stuff for sure!
I split a bottle of this with dinner, and with the moderate alcohol I'd have no issue with having a bottle myself. The price point of $10 is steeper than most of Ommegang's offerings, but it's not the end of the world. Still, it's worth mentioning.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this and would get it again if it were available. Don't necessarily back off thinking that the reviewers aren't getting any chocolate. I found it to be the prominent flavor.

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Poured dark brown, with a two-finger tan head made up of tiny, tiny bubbles. The head subsided fairly quickly, but left a thin layer for most of the glass. Left a nice blanket of lacing on the sides of the glass. Looked like melted chocolate coming out of the bottle.

Smell: Roasted malts, and some milk chocolate in the background. Hints of vanilla seep through. Some dark fruits as well. It's Belgian character is also noticeable.

Taste: Bitter roasted malts up front, mixed with some coffee. Surprisingly bitter. Alcohol is hidden very well. There's not much of an aftertaste, nor much of depth of flavor. There is the initial bitterness, and not much else. Belgian yeast flavor is also present, but doesn't seem to mesh with the other flavors. I barely detected any chocolate flavor at all.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy, but thinned out a bit as it warmed. A little too highly carbonated, which gives this a little more bite then I was expecting.

Drinkability: I'm really not sure how to rate this one. I was definitely disappointed by this beer - it wasn't bad per se, but not at all what I was expecting. It was very one-dimensional, and there wasn't much depth of flavor. I kept hoping it would get better as it warmed, but it just didn't. It smelled and looked great, but the taste just didn't live up to it.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

The mere idea of a Belgian stout is instantly enticing and when I first saw this last year I remember being sorely tempted but always picking up something else instead. Then my brother picked me up a bottle in 3 pack from Ommegang (that came with the sweet goblet I poured this into) for Christmas this year. Rock it.

It was cold out of the fridge so I've been letting it warm and observing the changes. The body is a lifeless black with a medium tan head that has nice bubbles and caps in a few minutes. The nose is thick with bitter chocolate and cocoa and underlying dark fruits, grape skin, and yeast.

Initially plenty of carbonation somewhat hinders what turns out to be an inventive taste, marked by baking chocolate bitterness and a series of smoked and toasted notes. The underlying dark fruits and a touch of alcohol line the aftertaste. The texture recovers from the initial bubbles to be velvety smooth at the end.

More Belgian than stout, this certainly has agreeable characteristics from each. I'd be curious if that carbonation could be mellowed by aging it. Lots of possibilities here, good stuff.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

very good desert beer and overall a good brew; chocolaty and malty taste and smell that accents the chocolate, but then leaves a bitter aftertaste. A lot of sediment in the beer adds complex flavors and pours an impressive head, but the malty ending takes away from the chocolate that starts the beer off so well.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Purchased the Ommegang 10 year anniversary pack. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into my Ommegang chalice.

An aggressive pour yields a rich black with a thick, soapy mocha head that leaves sticky chocolatey lacing all over the inside of the glass.

Smell is sweet and yeasty at first. After agitation, smells mostly of roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

First taste is all roast. Very smoky and not sweet at all like I expected. It's not at all overwhelming or bad, just not what I had in mind. I really don't taste the Belgian yeast that was apparent in the nose at all. Where does it go?

Mouthfeel is very light...perhaps too light for a Chocolate Indulgence Stout. I assumed it would be rich and thick.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

a - dark brown, with a nice creamy head.

s - first smell , i thought it was a guiness. it smelled close to a 3 minute fresh stout, then it took it's our characteristic of slightly cocoa.

t - excellent dark cocoa stout taste. very fresh tasing, a little sweet, but not alcoholic.

m - not much carbonation, just like a stout.

d - one bottle is enough for the evening. but very enjoyable to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

I think I may have drooled a bit in the beer store when I saw this bottle. The name "Chocolate Indulgence" got me hook, line, and sinker. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

Pours black with very nice caramel head.

The smell and taste both reminded me of cigerette smoke. I'm not sure why, but it was NOT a good smell.

The mouthfeel is decent.

After reading a few of the other reviews, I should have found something to go with this beer instead of drinking it by himself.

2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

A - Bottle was 750 mL corked. Elegant metal cover on the cork and pretty lettering for 10th anniversary bottle. Sadly, he best part of this beer by far. Poured into a snifter, had black body with nice 1.5 finger mocha head. Head faded way too quickly for a stout of this nature.

S - Roasted malt, bready/yeast, and a slight hint of cocoa powder. Not overwhelming.

T - When it tastes better cold, you know it's a bad sign. The foamy head helped, but once it faded this was waaay too bitter from the cocoa power yet not nearly chocolately or sweet enough to live up to indulgence title.

M - Oily and not too thick for a stout, a bit watery also. very unimpressive.

D - Cannot simply be enjoyed on its own. Too bitter from cocoa powder to be tolerated without some strong cheese on crackers. Will not purchase again.

3.59/5  rDev -5.8%

appearance: as dark as it gets, though i'd actually prefer a bit more head.

smell: burnt, roasted chocolate. i can't say i've smelled anything like this beer before. which makes it tempting.

taste: its smokey and not sweet at all like you'd expect buying this type of beer without knowing anything about it. i can't say i'm dissappointed though, but with a name like chocolate indulgance there should be more chocolate prevelent. i like the usual roasted malt and coffee characteristics of the this stout and that it's reserved with it's chocolate flavors doesnt really upset me, just leaves me wanting more.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, a big fan of chocolate, and like to indulge myself once in a while. That said, I found this brew good, but a bit under whelming. The main problem here is that this Belgian style doesn't really lend itself to chocolate in my opinion, and while I wouldn't say the flavors clash, the whole seems to equal the sum of the flavor parts.

Poured a jet black into my tulip. I haven't quite got the hang of a vigorous pour of these Belgian brews without kicking up the yeast in the bottom, so I wasn't able to achieve much of a head with this one. Lots of sheeting action on the glass, so I assume a skilled pourer would generate one. Not much in the aroma department, with a little chocolate on the nose. The taste is two main components, a spicy, clove-like yeast with a good semi-sweet chocolate. As it warms, the chocolate flavor intensifies, so I recommend letting this one warm up a bit before indulging. There's really not a blend or a balance to this one, it's almost like drinking two beers at the same time.

Pretty good, smooth, mouthfeel, and very drinkable. Could not detect any alcohol. It's a good brew, that's for sure, but falls a little short in the "indulgence" category.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance -- dark, dark brown. Nice 1/2 inch of foam lingers with excellent lace

Smell -- nice chocolate banana aroma. Not so sweet though. A bit sharp

Taste -- Banana flavor up front, followed by hop flavor and definite roastiness. Maybe a bit too bitter -- could use a tad more sweetness. Alcohol and bitterness linger. Kinda harsh, but it is a stout. Chocolate flavor dominated by roastiness and belgian phenolics

Mouthfeel -- sharp bubbles, medium body.

Drinkability -- pretty good stout. I would think a belgian stout would have more sweetness. It does have that Belgian yeast flavor. Chocolate is a little too low to be indulgent.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Dark brown almost black. The head was active, yet it subsided quickly leaving chunky lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of a great milk chocolate, which traditionally has a slight bitter smell which is present here as well. The abv is quite present in the smell, and I would have liked that to be more hidden.

T- Light smooth chocolate, vanilla, and caramel. The bitterness is there which is a nice balance for the sweetness the chocolate portrays. Good tasting, very much like a chocolate stout, but with a Belgian twist.

M- Very easy going on the mouth, great balance of thickness and carbination.

D- Easy to drink, nice and smooth, not too sweet yet gives just the right amount of sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Poured nicely with a rich dark black. Had a nice tan head which reduced down to about 1/8". Smelled mildly of chocolate, not near as much as I thought it might, slightly smokey scent, had a wheat scent with a touch of something spicy...allspice perhaps.

Tasted of chocolate, that was expected, coffee, and lots of roasted malts, and roasted hazelnuts. Wasn't near as chocolately as I had expected, the chocolate was very mild, subtle. Had a nice mouthfeel. Was a nice bodied stout with the mildest bit of carbonation.

Overall it was a rather nice beer, wasn't out of the park but very good. Quite enjoyable and easy to drink.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Poured into a goblet a near black body with a hint of brown and a dark tan head with great lacing.
S: Cocoa and milk chocolate. Also some spices and brown sugar.
T: Dark and milk chocolate. Finishes slightly bitter with a cocoa-coffee flavor. Not as sweet and chocolaty as I was expecting, but still pretty dang good.
M: Thick, sticky, and creamy.
D: Was hoping for more chocolate but still delicious and drinkable. Definitely would get again.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

from notes. 750 ML bottle poured into tulip

Poured a rich, fudge colored (nearly black) body with a roasted nut brown head. Thick, frothy - nice looking. Leaves a good amount of lace with good retention. Not much carbonation rising to meet the head.

Aroma is basically what you would expect - a chocolate stout with a Belgian twist to it. A slightly funky yeast is there, along with some light fruits. The chocolate aroma is not as strong as I expected, however. It's more of a cocoa powder rather than a melted chocolate bar or such. Either way, it's nice and is very interesting.

The taste is of rich, milk chocolate blended very well with roasted malts, grains, and a pang of wheat. Burnt plums and other dark fruits come through as well as a slight hint of vanilla, which took me by surprise. The dry finish is complemented by a little bit of oak as well - nicely done.

Smooth mouthfeel, very dry - especially as it warmed up even more. It is not necessary creamy, however. It's medium-heavy bodied, leaning more towards the medium side. It's a good sipper, you need to enjoy it slowly to catch all of the different aspects and flavors of this beer. It's kind of hard to classify this beer as it has aspects of a Belgian dark, Stout, and even a porter. But overall, a solid brew throughout and definitely worth picking up.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

this beer pours a dark chocolate color with a caramel head that fades to lacing leaving a nice trail on the glass. the fails to really leap out at you, but there is a nice amount of chocolate roasted malt aroma. the real belgian chocolate isn't overwhelming at all, maybe it's well balanced with the malt bill, but I could stand a bit more. the dry finish with the belgian yeast esters leads nicely into the full body with the low carbonation. a very quaffable beverage...

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A..Reminded me a bit of a Guinness draft with much less head retention. Dark brown-black that was inviting.

S..I was hoping for a stronger chocolate scent based on the name. A good stout smell, just weak on the chocolate.

T..Still missing the strong chocolate I was hoping for in this beer. A very good stout, but with the name of "Chocolate Indulgence", I really expected more chocolate flavors. Some nice malt and yeast notes present.

M..A stout all the way. A strong medium body beer.

D..As a stout, above good. As "Chocolate Indulgence", average. I wouldn't have a lot of this simply because I would be expecting more chocolate than was delivered.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang