Chocolate Indulgence Stout | Brewery Ommegang

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Reviews: 703 | Ratings: 1,296
4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

This beer should win a medal. Poured as a dark chocolate liquid with a modest, long-lasting cocoa colored head. The flavors coming from every sip of this beer were immense. Espresso with cream and a dusting of chocolate first appear on the palate, followed by dark chocolate and then finished with a soft, earthy finish. Everything about this beer is highly pronounced without being overstated.

Both full-bodied and light at the same time, this beer is very drinkable and probably highly addictive. Admittedly, I'm a fan of this style so I do have a slight bias. Not sure what separates a belgian strong dark ale from an imperial stout, but whatever you call it, it's delicious.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

After warming up with a Guinness or three, I felt that this thick stout from Ommegang came out in a sensory explosion of taste and flavor. A pleasant dark aroma entered the air on the pour, and swirling the stout released a bitter but pleasing aroma, about two parts Belgian chocolate to one part dark roasted coffee, with a slightly astringent alcohol smell coupled with sweet fruity esters.

I lifted the glass to the light, and admired its color, about two shades lighter than jet black. The legs from my swirl stuck to the sides of the glass like sandbars in a sea of crystal.

I expected a very bitter experience, given the Belgian chocolate powder used in generous quantities, but instead received something a little more creamy and smooth than I expected. Yes, the chocolate and dark malt flavors were at the forefront, but there were subtle hints of cherry and vanilla dancing to and fro, thanks to Ommegang's use of a Belgian yeast. The beer stuck to my teeth and had a good solid depth.

The Chocolate Indulgence's higher-than-average alcohol content is masked by a rich flavor and good mouthfeel. From the pop of the cork to the last drop, Ommegang comes through with another fine Belgian-style brew.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Black, very thick. Has an amazing dark brown head, this head stuck around forever, good lacing to boot.

S- I pick up hops, chocolate, malt, lactose, coffee, and I do pick up a slight bit of cloves or possibly even ginger.

T- The hops hit you first, then you get the heavy robust coffee malt flavor in the middle, finally you get the extra dark bitter chocolate towards the end. You can really taste the chocolate but it's not sweet, unsweetened bitter chocolate is the only way I can describe it. You really get a strong Belgium feel when you sip this stout.

M- Medium body, slightly carbonated, has a bit of creaminess to it.

D- Great chocolate flavor but definitely not sweet, I wish it hard a higher alcohol percentage and slightly sweeter. The overall flavor is pretty darn good, but it's still an occasional beer for me, not to mention it's kinda pricey.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark brown, tall thick fluffy head, looks good.

Smells of coco powder, yeast, malt, tiny bit of coffee.

Chocolate, cocoa powder, very chocolaty but not too sweet. Malt and some yeast in taste.

Medium bodied, fluffy with medium carbonation and slight coarseness from cocoa.

Pretty easy drinking. Not very alcoholic, good dessert beer.

I would like to drink again but price is a little bit high. Overall, good belgian style chocolate stout.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-- Pours a dark opaque black with a cappucino colored head 2 fingers of fine carbonation
S-- roasted malts and cocoa powder looking for more chocolate based on name
T-- (not what I expected) thin on the watery side touch of chocolate and malts, coffee slightly bitter with a surprisingly strange metal after taste
M-- expected a nice creamy texture to chew on but missed out. very thin and not as sweet as the name represents
D-- based on the name not impressed glad I only bought 1 bottle, however take the lable off and not knowing what I was drinking it is a decent stout

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Union Jack's (near Douglesville / Reading, PA.)

When served, it was a beautiful dark brown and ruby with a lovely, rich chocolate aroma of chocolate and fruit (I prusume from the yeast) coming from a foamy tan head.

The flavor was not disappointing, but it was not as strong in chocolate flavor as it was in aroma. It is made with Belgian dark chocolate, but did not have a terribly bitter, biting heaviness to it. I believe it was made with lactose which may lend to an overall balance.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Thick pour, with a hot chocolate color head that lasts forever. Two opposite smells of chocolate, one being sweet chocolate- the later being dark. French roast coffee beans come out a little on the nose as well. The palate starts off with chocolate that is actually quite creamy, almost sweet. Only until you take a breath of air, does the dark roasted malts and dark chocolate really take effect. I really wanted to see more of a rich/creamy palate with a chocolate style beer. Good balance, nothing over the top- although I would appreciate a little more complexity to be great.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured into snifter.

First off this beer was amazing. It seems to get alot of beef on this site and I dont know why.

It was deep deep brown with almost 2 finger cream head. Picture perfect. It smelled of a roasted toffee chocolate with light fruit notes. The taste wasnt what I expected but was delicious. It was of a sweet cream and almost roasted nutty flavor. I was amazed. Delicious. The mouthfeel was a bit thin and carbonated for my liking esepccialy for a stout but the flavor made up for it. Very drinkable, especially as an after dinner drink or right before bed.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

Shared with Jeed2316

2010 bomber, poured into a New Belgium glass.

The aroma is very much dark cocoa and oak. The first taste is fairly bitter, as the cocoa is a bit overwhelming. As it warms, the beer smooths out and the chocolate taste is much more appealing. There is a strong chocolate aftertaste as well. Overall, it is a good, but not amazing beer.

I've also had this on draught at the Gingerman in Ft. Worth in early 2011. I remember the chocolate flavor being masked a bit more by the fact that it came out of a keg.

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout

A - Very very dark. Pours with hardly any head and as close to zero lacing as you can get and still have lacing. This leaves a fine oily film all the way down your glass while drinking. Reminds me of an Imperial Stout in appearance

S - Wonderful chocolaty smell with just a hint of coffee

M - Lightly tingles the tongue with a light aftertaste. Very pleasant.

T - Dark fruit with hints of chocolate and coffee. A wonderful balance that is oh so reminiscent of an Imperial stout.

D - I could sip this all night, or have it with a nice steak. Hey, I think I will!

This one is a winner in every respect and comes highly recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

a - dark brown, with a nice creamy head.

s - first smell , i thought it was a guiness. it smelled close to a 3 minute fresh stout, then it took it's our characteristic of slightly cocoa.

t - excellent dark cocoa stout taste. very fresh tasing, a little sweet, but not alcoholic.

m - not much carbonation, just like a stout.

d - one bottle is enough for the evening. but very enjoyable to drink.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Shared with the family for Christmas. Poured into three Sam Adam's Lager Glasses (Fourpack for Christmas).

Quick tan head on a black body.

Subtle nutty aroma. Not much in the nose.

The bitter chocolate dominated the flavor. There is a bit of dark roasted flavor, but all I could taste is unsweetened chocolate. Not impressed.

It did have a full luxurious mouth, which was the best quality.

I'm glad I shared it with my cousin and my sister, because I could not have drunk it all by myself.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Overall a very good beer. not as amazing as i had hoped, but a very good beer. $18 worth at a bar??? Cheaper than a bottle of wine, and twice as nice.

Appearance - Dark and lovely. Picked it up at a local and split with a buddy. Great container. Worth of the "wine" package.

Smell - Not too strong here. A little light on the malt, but definitely alcoholic with a tinge of cocoa.

Taste - Not too amazing, but very good. For what the hype was, I guess I had my hopes up. Very good, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Alcoholic, a little chocolate, and a little light for the type.

Drinkability - I could see having a bottle of that with friends as an aperitiff. Nice finish and nice atmosphere.

Poured from a 2010 750ml bottle.

Appearance was dark and stout black with a reasonable tan head.

Aroma had a hint of coffee and chocolate

Taste has a bit more coffee and not as much chocolate as I like, but nicely balanced and has hint of roasted malts and spice

nicely carbonated, with smooth mouth feel

Good beer, better Chocolate stouts, but nice on a cold evening.

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%

This is a beautiful beer once it's poured into a chalice. But I was expecting something more than simply pretty.

A: It's not black, but a dark-enough brown that I caught just a flicker of light when I held the glass to my desk lamp. That's topped with a foamy tan head. Very nice.

S: The aroma is a luscious mix of bitter chocolate, toffee, roasted malts and a touch of alcohol. Unfortunately, it promises more than it delivers.

T: I expected a lot of a special release from one of my favorite breweries -- and maybe that's why this is disappointing. The chocolate flavor is there, nicely balanced with the roasties, and it's not too sweet. But a metallic tinge, present even as the beer warms, takes away from the overall experience.

M: About what it should be.

D: This isn't a bad beer by any stretch, but given Ommegang's track record, I was expecting to be blown away. I got a nice chocolate stout instead -- and that feels like a little bit of a letdown.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, nice carbonation, thick head even at the slow pour to not disturb the yeast sediment.
S: At first open you get a misty smell of chocolate, fades fast and gets overwhelmed with the bready yeast smell.
T: first sip was yeasty Belgian breads, not much coco flavors but you eventually get the dark roasted malts. More dark coffee and chocolate flavors start to take over.
M: creamy, fizzy, hoppy.
O: very enjoyable although I wish I got more chocolate upfront, but the more you sip the more the delight.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle. Pours real dark with medium head in goblet.

Smells like licorice then cocoa.

Very little direct chocolate notes on the drink at first. Tastes more like licorice to me. Has bitterness of dark chocolate. Caremelized roasted malts give it a nice flavor. Some alcohol at the end. Reminds me some of oak aged brew.

Good carbonation level.

Its not what I was expecting from a chocolate stout.

4.38/5  rDev +15%

A- Pours a nice two finger mocha colored head. Almost jet black with not a bit of light coming through.

S- Hints of coffee and chocolate. I do notice the alcohol smell in this one.

T- This is a very smooth stout. Tastes of coffee, Caramel malt and of course dark bakers chocolate.

M- Very smooth and slightly thick. Has some great substance like a good stout should.

D- This goes down very easy and I could see myself having a couple of these over the course of a couple of hours.

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The head is brown and very tall with small bubbles that have great retention. Only a few large bubles are present in center. During the pour there is a good amount of 'flowing' of the bubbles along the sides of the glass. The color is very dark and completely opaque.

The smell is sweet with hints of fruit and spice; there is a slightly burnt aroma mixed in. On tasting, there is little carbonation but a thick feel. The roasted-coffee is apparent at the start with only a small amount of bitterness for balance.

The aftertaste is where the chocolate is noticable. The taste lingers for a while, but it feels like a surprisingly thin coating.

Overall, it has a strong body that is well-balanced. The chocolate is apparent but not as overwhelming as I was expecting.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Bottle poured a deep dark black with a tall tan loose bubbly head that stayed around for the whole session.

S: It has nice strong toasty malt aroma with a little semi-sweet cocoa scent mixed in. Some nutty, and coffee tones also add to the nice smell.

T: There isn't as much of a chocolate taste as I expected from the description and smell. It has a nice balance of coffee and toasted malt flavors with only a hint of bittersweet cocoa to it. The alcohol gives it a nice warming sensation too.

M: There was little carbonation and a nice smooth somewhat velvety mouthfeel. Very nice dessert beer mouthfeel.

D: Overall, this beer was a little different than I expected it to be but I still enjoyed it a lot and could have drank another tall bottle of it. It's a great dessert/after dinner beer.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Poured nicely with a rich dark black. Had a nice tan head which reduced down to about 1/8". Smelled mildly of chocolate, not near as much as I thought it might, slightly smokey scent, had a wheat scent with a touch of something spicy...allspice perhaps.

Tasted of chocolate, that was expected, coffee, and lots of roasted malts, and roasted hazelnuts. Wasn't near as chocolately as I had expected, the chocolate was very mild, subtle. Had a nice mouthfeel. Was a nice bodied stout with the mildest bit of carbonation.

Overall it was a rather nice beer, wasn't out of the park but very good. Quite enjoyable and easy to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Origin: 1 Pint 9.4 FL. OZ. Bottle
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 03/29/11
Glassware: Dogfish Head Immort Ale Snifter.
Serving Temperature: Approx 50 F

Appearance: Pours a thick 1 1/2 finger tan head. As the head dissipates, it leaves a lovely lacing on the side of the glass. The body is pure black.

Smell: Rich cocoa, vanilla, malts and oak.

Taste: Dark chocolate up front, slight sourness from the malts come through in the middle and has creamy cocoa finish with a slight amount of heat from the alcohol (Almost undetectable, but present).

Mouthfeel: Thick, rich and creamy.

Concluding thoughts: AMAZING! If you want a chocolate beer, this one will not disappoint. At 7% ABV, its an extremely drinkable beer.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

App. - Dark. Very dark pour with an extremely thick head (3/4 fingers). Much lacing present.

Smell - Not much here. Chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.

Taste - Holy Hershey bar batman! Seriously, lots of chocolate. Milky flavor as well.

Mouth. - Smoooth. Very palatable and easy to keep drinking.

Over. - There's just so much chocolate and cream. It's a great brew that I wasn't expecting much from.

2.24/5  rDev -41.2%

Served in a tulip @ ~45 F

Nose: Metallic up front, some citrus, spice notes (yeast derived), and very slight hint of earthy dark chocolate.

Appearance: Black, nearly 100% opaque, with a large fluffy brown head and nice lacings.

Flavor: First hit with a bit of citrus fruit followed by some spices, maybe a hint of nutmeg, and that earthy dark chocolate bitterness. But in the end it is a predominate metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but that metallic taste ruined it all because it left me thinking I was sucking on a penny.

Overall: Somethings wrong here, hopefully only my bottle. I can see where you'd get metallic flavor from using too much chocolate or maybe the wrong type. Perhaps that is what happened. But it wasn't pleasant, I dumped the bottle with a frown on my face... I love Chocolate beers and Ommegang but this one was just bad.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

I'm sorry to say that this beer was a little bit of a let down. Everything seemed fine until I tasted pennies in the finish. I know it had something to do with the cocoa used in the brewing but I'm not sure exactly how this happened. A friend also had the same experience. Maybe I'll give this beer a try again if I can find it on tap.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang