Ommegang Adoration Ale | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Ommegang Adoration, brewed in the authentic style of Belgian winter, or noel beer, is dark, malty and assertively spiced.

Adoration is best sipped before a roaring fire. It would also be a tasty accompaniment to dark roasts and wild game. Even at 10% abv, the beer is well balanced and not at all hot or fiery. The dark malts give it lush, malty flavors, including coriander, orange peel, mace, cardamom and grains of paradise. Hopping is modest, as befits such a beer.

Added by akorsak on 08-04-2009

Ratings: 1,129 |  Reviews: 367

1.75/5  rDev -57%

1.78/5  rDev -56.3%

12/26/2012
On Tap at Joe Canals; 2 liter Growler to pint glass, same day.

AROMA: Oak, Pine, Mint?
LOOK: Yellowish Brown, ugly.
TASTE: Really Woody, with turpentine finish. Sourness and Yeast.
FEEL: Astringent and Acidic.
A lot of flavor, but not good flavor; this is very unpleasant. Interesting beer.

1.91/5  rDev -53.1%

Very boozy. Horrific medicinal aftertaste. I don't get this one.

2.14/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Adoration by Ommegang Brewery is a good beer, and a great beer if you like coriander. Personally I do not like that taste. This Belgian style of beer would be a good choice for those of you that like Blue Moon, one Shock Top.

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.28/5  rDev -44%

I should have read the label more closely.

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

750 ml into Duvel tulip.

Picked this up at Hop City today.

Ugh.

I love Ommegang's work. I love out-there beers. I even love super-spiced beers that everyone else whines about being out of balance.

This one is just bad. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I don't think that I'll want to shell out $13 for another try (I think that's what it was: I just bought it without even checking the price).

I didn't drainpour it but, but if I was the drainpouring type, it would be flowing through the sewers right now.

The only thing I've tasted that was anything like this was a hefeweizen I brewed before I understood the brewing process. I added mangoes to it, spiced it with too much coriander (I know, I know--that belongs in a witbier, not a hefe), and fermented too warm. AND it got a bottle infection.

Oh, but Adoration has a lot of chocolate in the flavor profile, too! No mango, of course, but they make up for it will the overabundance of other spices.

It's a little better as it warms, but it's just not a good beer. The yeast provides great flavor, as usual, but the rest of it just destroys it.

All the other reviews of this one are very good, so this makes the likelihood of a bad bottle much higher (especially considering that it tastes most like an infected homebrew). But it really tastes like this is coming from the spices.

Sorry to be a downer, but I would avoid this one and pick up Hennepin, Biere de Mars, Ommegeddon, or any of Ommegang's other spectacular brews.

2.41/5  rDev -40.8%

This was a beer that I tried right around Thanksgiving. I saw it on the menu and I got it because I really like what Ommegang does with their Belgian Ales.

The smell was a sweet cranberry Christmas smell, a good smell to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The mouthfeel was as expected with a sweeter beer. It had a sugary fruit beginning, and then alcohol just killed it. I like the high alcohol content, but it seemed like it was half of the beer's flavor.

The taste was that of sweet fruit, a little bitter from the lemon, but it was still a suprising flavor profile.

I think it is worth trying because you never know.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at a small, underrated bottle shop in South St. Paul, Petschen's. If you're ever in the neighborhood, check it out, they sometimes have some nice gems in dark corners.

Pours a stirred, muddy reddish-brown. Smell is stifling, locked-in-a-spice-closet strong, mixed with sugared candy.

Adoration just comes on too strong for my taste. The spices, instead of being polite & complementary to the beer, come fishtailing out of the snifter at high speed. I'm sure all the spices on the label are well represented, but holy man, my mouth is overwhelmed. Not only that, I can feel the beginnings of heartburn coming on after only a few sips. There's a Belgian sweetness to it that adds to the chaos & instead of taming it, just piles on the difficulty I'm going to have finishing this.

Extreme winter warmer? This is it. I don't really want to pan this brew, because if you love spices in your beer, you're going to love Adoration. But it's too much for me, way, way too much.

2.59/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's a deep, rich brown, with some lighter red hues thrown in for good measure. The head is a finger of light, off-brown bubbles. Retention is about 90 seconds and then it's gone quickly, save a light ring around the edges.

Honestly, I'm not sure I smelled anything. There's a bit of malt, possibly some toffee, but none of the ingredients listed on the bottle came through.

The taste is similar to the smell, there's not much too it. Either that, or there's so much going on I couldn't pin point anything. All I could pick up was a bit of malt and a lot of alcohol, though well into the finish there was a chocolatey sensation.

This is a strong beer. It's 10% ABV and it feels every bit of it. Definitely a beer to sip, as anything more feels like you're knocking back a shot of something. Slightly fruity and then some spiciness before nothing but heat to finish.

I like a lot of the beers from Ommegang, but not this one. It's simply too strong for my liking. I don't mind 10% ABV, I'd just like it hidden a bit better. More hops and/or more sweetness would be appreciated.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

75 cL bottle poured in to an Ommegang flute

It pours a murky burn orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dies down

I'm picking up a lot of burnt sugar/brown sugar, Belgian yeast and a little bit of orange peel. It isn't very exciting but not too offensive.

The first thing I taste are the classic dark ripe fruits of a BSDA. Then this citrus flavor comes in and starts to clash with it. The spices used in the brewing process are once again clashing with the spice flavors from the yeast. To top it off the 10% alcohol is present on the backside and a bit too much. This is kind of a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It is a bit of a hot mess.

This carbonation actually does a decent job of scrubbing the taste out after the sip which in this case is a good thing. The alcohol presence is hurting drinkability though. I've had many other 10% BDSA that drink much better.

I like the concept of a Belgian winter warmer but the execution came off with just to many things going on. There are clashing flavors all over the place and it leaves me dissatisfied and that is a first by a beer from this usually amazing brewery.

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

sweet booze. weird yeast characteristics. not meshed well.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours a hazy wooden amber with a huge off white head. Aroma is spicy from the yeast and cardaman, orange peel is defintiely there, candied sugar, spruce tips (even though I know they aren't actually there) and some alcohol. Flavor is sweet and spicy, with a bit too much sweetness going for this thing. Flavors follows the aroma pretty well though. A super fizzy, thinner mouthfeel. Overall, a touch to sweet for me, personally. Would prefer this one at half the abv, so it could cut back on some of the sugars this one drops on you.I didn't hate this, but also not a fan of this.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not that good. Alcohol not balanced well

2.89/5  rDev -29%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Not good at all...tastes like over malted stale orange soup

Ommegang Adoration Ale from Brewery Ommegang