Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness) | Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness)Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Scottish Ale

The Belgian-Scotch brewing connection dates to WWI, when thousands of Scotsmen spent years in Belgium. To satisfy the new customers, Belgian brewers learned to brew lighter "Scotch" style ales. This fine Ommegang ale uses heather tips and a wee bit of smoked malt to bring the taste and aroma of Scotland to the forefront. "Malty, full body, dark, slightly smoky, with heather notes. Flavorful and aromatic, with a gentle complexity and easy-going finish."

Added by akorsak on 08-05-2009

2.66/5  rDev -30.4%

Aromas are largely dominated by the Belgian aspects: strong banana/clove yeast esters right up front. Nothing else is substantial.

I did not expect this at all. This baby is all Belgian. If you just handed this to me I would guess Belgian Dubbel. Really has the Belgian aspects right up front just like in the nose; strong banana and clove, really dominates and considering I expected malt because this is a "Scottish" I am very dissapointed. Really cannot detect and substantial maltiness or hoppiness either. Considering the price tag this was a poor investment. Mouthfeel lingers; fairly sticky and sweet. I am really not enjoying this if you couldnt already tell. Wish it finished smooth like a Scottish ale normally does. I am done with this review. Not a winner in my opinion considering how quality Ommegang usually is with their beers. Should be classified as a Belgian beer because that is all I get out of this.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

Review adapted from notes taken 1/9/11

Appearance: Brownish amber color with a fluffy head to start that fades to some lacing

Smell: Smells bizarre but kind of intriguing - some sweetness, some smoke, some Belgian yeast in the background

Taste: Quickly earned the name "Cup O Krap," but it got slightly better as it warmed - kind of tastes like a Scotch ale, with the smoked malts - from what I know about heather tips, I don't think it adds much to the beer - some hard water, unpleasantly dry - the Belgian yeast just takes this mediocrity and makes it worse - the yeast funk really clashes with all of the flavors until this approaches room temperature and becomes more tolerable

Mouthfeel: Smooth and well-carbonated, but a bit too dry

Overall: Not for me, but I guess I could see how someone could like it (based on the other BA reviews I've read)

I really had issues with the Belgian yeast working with the other flavors. I know this style has an interesting history, but I'd prefer if it stayed in my history... If this gets released again, I probably will avoid it.

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

If I did not know what style this was I could not have told you this was a Scottish Ale. Seriolusly?

A: Poured a ruddy brownish amber color with ok carbonations and a small dirty white head

S: Hints of caramel and thats about it. Faint.

T: Some smoke, wood, roasted malt, caramel but just not really exciting and plain. A murky mess of lackluster flavors.

M: Simplele, sticky and just not really fun to drink

D: Pass

2.91/5  rDev -23.8%

750 mL bottle pours a clear, light garnet hue with an airy tan head. Nice retention and lacing.

Nose is not really all that assertive. Some medium fruits are there along with a light dusting of malts and peat. Pretty sweet smelling, I would like to see a bolder, more robust and smoky aroma.

Little bit of smoke comes out in the taste. Fruitiness is prevalent, strawberries for the most part. Malts are sweet, almost too much so. I dont really like the yeast/malt interplay on this beer. I imagine the taste being akin to throwing some strawberry cake on the backyard bbq, just doesnt seem like a good idea, right? Ommegang is very hit or miss for me.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark, orangey eggplant color. Big sticky head leaves big, sticky lace splashes. Good retention while it lasted...

Belgian-ish dark fruity malt and pumpernickel - like a whole wheat Fig Newton. There's an unfamiliar herbal character which I'm guessing is the the heather tips. No smoke detected.

Taste is a big letdown. Subtle dark fruit and wheat bread lacks any punch and leaves me wanting more in the flavor department. Again, no smoke. Mouthfeel is fairly creamy and expansive but makes the flavorless profile of this beer seem that much more vacant.

My girlfriend didn't finish her glass and I got through half of mine before it followed hers down the drain. Not bad per se, just not intriguing enough for a sit down and focus beer.

2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance – This is brown with orangish highlights around the edges and a soft, creamy, modest head.

Smell – There is a touch of scotch to this nose along with some wood and a hint of smokiness. I get some fruits, maybe mashed prunes, and a big raw sugar aroma. This is a sweet one.

Taste – The smoke is a bit bigger at the taste. It’s not overpowering but if you don’t like smoky beer don’t buy this. The sugar turns to candy and somehow there’s a zing of alcohol.

Mouthfeel – This doesn’t rate medium-bodied and is a bit on the watery side.

Drinkability – I love this brewery but am unsure as to what they were trying to accomplish here. Is this supposed to be a light, easy-drinking Scottish Ale? Then how about smoothing things out and lose the smoke. This isn’t a bad beer, just confusing.

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%

What an odd thing from an otherwise excellent brewery: a Scottish ale with no characteristics of a Scottish ale. It's a light-bodied, ruby-hued ale with a confused aroma of Hefeweizen bananas and Saisonish yeast, and the taste of a decent Belgian-style ale without the density or the fizz. There's not a hint of smoke, no hefty maltish tones, no earthy taste... it's a Scottish ale in label only. Otherwise, it's a decent beer: not very dry, not very bitter, not a huge commitment to any one particular style. Drink and enjoy once; just don't buy it expecting a Scottish ale.

3.02/5  rDev -20.9%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. $10.49 from Beer Run. Bottled 8/2/10, Best by 8/2012.

Appearance: Muddy reddish brown with a fluffy whitish head and attractive lacing. I'm assuming the haze will clear as it warms.

Smell: Smoke, earth, caramel, spice, herbs, maybe leather. There's a distinctive smell of Belgian yeast, but not a lot of fruity esters. Some phenolics-- a little clove maybe. Kinda weird.

Taste: Pretty smoky and caramel malty. Pretty pronounced bandaid flavor that obviously is not good. I havent had heather before knowingly-- there is a bitter spiciness to this beer that I blame on the heather. Not very good.

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice actually. Soft, nicely carbed. Slick and slightly sticky.

Overall: Not too great. Weird flavors, bad combinations.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Seriously, WTF?

Wanted To Love Her

Another in my current Scotch Ale replacement journey. (Read my review of Scotty Karate for the whole story)

Short version - this ain't it. :) Dear Ommegang, stick to thinking that "Quad" means blending cherries with Dubbels.

Long version -

Poured from the 750ml cold into a goblet. They say on the bottle to pour slowly to not disturb the yeast sediment but vigorously enough to enjoy the luxiurious head and bouquet. Okay. First - this is something the fake American Belgian brewers never understand - some folks like the yeast sediment. 2nd - what luxurious head? I poured a few glasses at different 'vigorousness levels' and got a minimal froth that dissipates quickly. Round, wide bubbles.

This will be the third Ommegang I don't dig at all. A hat trick I'll be hard-pressed to look beyond. I don't know why the American Belgians (Ommegang, Celis et al) don't seem to be able to come remotely close to most good homebrews I've had that try to emulate or clone Belgian style brewing. Maybe that's the point. Maybe they're not even trying to do that. Maybe instead they're trying to apply that American Craft Beer style to a Belgian recipe? I don't know. I do know that this isn't really a Belgian style Ale. Unibroue is able to pull it off splendidly so it's not some Belgium-only mystery at work.

Anyway - nice bottle, great name, great label. Throw Robert Burns on there and bring us Scotsman wannabes to tears. Nice history lesson about the Scots in Belgium during WWI needing their Scotch Ale. (why does this seem more fable than truth, hmm?) It seemed like a dream come true to me. Scottish and Belgian and Irish descent, love my Belgians and my Scotch Ales. Marriage made in heaven, right? Sadly no.

They say on the bottle that they blend in Heather Tops and the spice level is good. Just not enough malt and toffee. I am finding it hard to get to the Scotch taste. More like you blended a thin Scotch Ale in with a Celis Grand Cru.

Maybe not a bad idea if you took a robust S.A. and blended it with a true Belgian (not that I am advocating this plan) but - they start with the typical American Phenol and Preservative taste and I can't get past that to the good stuff.

Over carbonated. Headachy for a 6.6. Bitter, mediciney finish.

All things considered - not lame, but not righteous enough to revisit.

Not a Begian Scotch Ale. More like a Scotch Ale Tinged American Belgian.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

On tap at Rustico. Poured into a tulip.

Pours near black with a thin light tan head. A bit of lacing, although not much at all. Smells like roasted malt with a bit of dark fruits. Taste brings white a bit of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Not much going on. Feel is overly dry and a bit thin. Drinkability is okay, but really not a very good example of the style in my opinion.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness) | 750 ml. | 6.6% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Brewery Ommegang
Style: Scottish Ale
Glass: Duvel tulip

Presentation:
Standard Ommegang "O" label with some nice black watch patterning.

Appearance:
Deep marroon with an nice off-white head of about 1".

Aroma:
Various dark fruits: cherries, plums, raisins, etc. Pleasant.

Taste:
It opens up with an earthy estery flavor and lightly toasted malts. The dark fruits follow, though unlike a dubbel, they are bitter and lean. The finish is zesty, almost lemon-like, evidencing a residual herbal taste -- the heather it seems.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, even feel on the palate. Carbonation adds some needed sting.

Harmony:
Altogether, it's a nice brew with some interesting, though underpowered flavors. The bitter dark fruits are not quite my thing.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's a decent brew, sophisticated and subtle, but not quite to my liking because of bitter, herbal characteristics that seem out of place with the earthy, peat-like malts.

Bottled: ?
Served: October 9, 2010

Price = $8.66 at Witherspoon Wine

3.21/5  rDev -16%

A - nearly opaque reddish brown with minimal head, slight lacing and little retention - I am a little inclined to blame the glass for this

S - smells of Ommegang but with a darker malt profile, there are hints of heather/herbs/hops, but doesn't seem too much like a scotch ale, nor anything truly Belgian

T - mid-weight, slightly smokey malts with a distinct Belgian edge and a hint of sourness at the back end, the hops and heather peek out here and there

M - fine carbonation keeps it light on the palate

D - quite drinkable, but not enough to entice me back

All in all, I think Ommegang missed the mark on this one. It isn't convincingly Scotch Ale, nor is it a good Belgian-style beer. Not bad, though. I'm glad to have tasted it but I won't buy it again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%