Ommegang IPA Triple | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by akorsak on 08-06-2009

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Too flowery

4.07/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Publick House yesterday for the Hop-Head throwdown. One of the few beers on the list that wasn't an ipa. 12 oz serving in an Ommegang tulip. Was titled as a "Ommegang Hoppy Triple".

A- Straw colored yellowish golden with 1-2 fingers of white fluffy head with decent retention and leaves some lacing. About average carbonation.

S- Typical triple smell- candied sugars, caramel malts, some spices, and a little bit of citrus from the hops. Not as much hops as I was expecting- I guess since it was at the HopHead Throwdown I was expecting a little bit more.

T- A little bit lemony, slightly grassy, some spices, candied sugars, some light caramel malts. Pretty average taste for a triple with a bit more of a hop profile.

M- Medium bodied, goes down easily, slightly more then average carbonation, abv decently well hidden (I believe it was somewhere around 7-9%, not completely sure though).

O- This was a decent triple, nothing that really stood out that much. Despite being a "hoppy" triple I didn't think it was overly hoppy, which might have been a good thing. I'd say this was maybe a slightly above average triple. Overall I was a little bit disappointed because I was expecting a little bit more from Ommegang- it definitely doesn't live up to some of their other beers I've had. It was easy to drink and I'd recommend giving it a try if you see it- the price wasn't too bad at $6/glass.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Served at BCTC from Ommegang's trailer of taps.

A: The ale is a golden amber color, hazed by the temperature and sediment. A white head on pour laced as best it could.

S: The ale has a full aroma of grass citrus hops and candied sugars. Caramel malts are present but the mix of hops and Belgian yeast stands out.

T: The yeast and Belgian candies stand out in the taste, sweet with a full fruity profile. Hops appear mid- to late in the sip, making only a dent into the Belgian tripel side. That brief flourish is grassy with a citrus element. Much more tripel than IPA.

M: The mouthfeel could use some work to bring out the sweet bitterness of the hops. The tripel element is pretty well established, not surprising from a Belgian-style brewer.

D: I like that Ommegang brings these one-off beers to the fest. I don't like the state law that forces Ommegang to keep 'em hidden on unmarked taps. I enjoyed this one despite having to cajole the volunteers to pour it.

Ommegang IPA Triple from Brewery Ommegang