Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale) | Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale)Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale)
3.98/5
Very Good
Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale)Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale)

Brewery Ommegang

Added by paulieatworld on 03-17-2010

Ratings: 1,373 |  Reviews: 466
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Caged and corked 750ml bottle from Beverage Mart on NY 66. No dating that I could discern. "Cleared at the Brewery".

Pours an excellent cloudy orange amber into my Unibroue ... fancy glass. Significant head, nice lacing. Flavor is very nice, light, crisp. Has some of the elements of a wheat beer with those of a straight up belgian ale. Well balanced spice/citrus.

After a long day at the office, this was really nice to come home to. Would definitely have this one again. Well done, Ommegang.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance - Copper colored poured an intense head which kepted getting bigger and bigger (bottle conditioned). Not clear which I like in a beer.

Smell - Slightly fruity smell and pleasant.

Taste - I love this beer, the abv is not too high but it brings a lot of interesting tastes to the table. You can taste the funky Ommegang yeast and fruitiness.

Mouthfeel - Medium.

Overall - I love Ommegang and this brew snuck up on me. Not as BIG as their other brews, but it holds it own. If you are looking for a lower abv beer with complexity try this.

4.36/5  rDev +9.5%

A - wow, the gentlest of pours brings forth a beautiful (slightly clouded due to my misjudgment) light orange brew with the most ridiculous pillowy head I have ever seen, four fingers to start, sticks around for what seems like forever, and leaves great lacing

S - pear and apple, along with a little cut grass, lemon zest, lots of yeast, clove and pepper

T - smooth maltiness, slightly tart, with a lot of green apple, a little fresh hay, some yeasty goodness. there's a nice mineral tang going on here as well, kinda wine-like. dry finish with some citrusy hops

M - sprightly (Spritely), well carbonated with a pretty light body, goes down very smoothly

O - this is a delicious beer, refreshing, with wonderful complexity, a great beer with food

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Served from a bottle into an oversized wine glass.
**side note, as soon as I untwisted the crown cap the cork just popped right out of the bottle and scared the living hell out of me, I don't know if I was the only one who experienced this, but be careful opening the bottle.

A- Poured a hazy rich gold body, with a nice two finger creamy white head. Retention is great, held on for a minute or two and left a nice thin creamy cap to settle on top, a little bit of sticky lacing but not too much. Some sediment in the body and lots of uniformed carbonation. Beautiful!

S- RICH! Very floral, grassy hops, some yeast notes, light malts and a little breadniness. I want to say there is a persian lemon twist in there too. The aroma is just astonishing for lack of better words. WAY too inviting!

T- Very well balanced with a not too overly complex transition in taste. Sweet persian lemon, earthy, light notes of citrus peel (grapefruit), yeast, dry hops, mango and biscuit. It really floods your taste with a wow factor. I was told this had a very interesting taste, honestly.... This is there and beyond on what I was expecting. Great, great, great tasting bpa!

MF- Light-medium body, VERY smooth, tickly carbonation that plays with the tongue. This has a very crisp to dry finish, the alcohol is covered up very well also. You are definitely left with a floral/light-citrus taste between sips that won't let go. I really enjoy the mouthfeel on this intriguing ale.

O- Very impressive! Everything about this ale just stands out of the norm... The style, the smell, the taste/feel. So worth the buy! I have been investing a lot more into corked bottles lately, and an exceptional beer just like this one reminds me on how much more it is worth to to go that extra mile (or dollar in this case). I was going to grab the tripel karmeleit this evening, but I am glad I made this choice. This is a must try beer, hands down! ENJOY!!!! I know I did!

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not your typical Christmas day beer, but delicious nonetheless.

A- A wonderful golden body with a fluffy white head that lasted the entire drink. One of the finest heads that I've witnessed.

S- Citrus bold and upfront. Must, hay.

T- Orange and lemon zest, must, toasted pilsen.

M- Medium with a fair amount of pepperiness.

D- Quite.

3.74/5  rDev -6%

On tap at the blue door.

Visual: Gold w/ orange hue. No head, no lacing

Nose: Wheat, honey, lemon

Taste: Wheat, apples, lemon citrus, white wine, honey. Balanced finish, slight pine and floral.

Mouth: Light on the tongue

Drunkability: Good summer drink, bit too fruity to drink multiples.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.69/5  rDev -7.3%

I wasn't expecting the carbonation to be as strong as it was. Either that, or the bottle got knocked around on the drive home; when I popped the cork off this, beer started to spill everywhere. :( Seriously, this is the first time outside of kombucha that I've ever had a beverage do that to me. I guess I'm reviewing half a bottle now... ergghhh.

A- Somewhat opaque golden straw color. Obviously, a very strong head with thick lacing.

S- Ok, maybe one of the benefits of cleaning this off my floor was that I was able to get a good nose full of the aroma. There's only so much that a typical glass can convey, and I'm pretty sure I'd miss most of the scent were it not splattered all over my kitchen tiles. Yeast, cereal grains and a bread-like note were prominent, with a hint of peach or sweet fruit. Complex.

T- Slightly sweet with a rye/wheat bread foundation. Yeast is present at all times and while not overpowering, is a little distracting from other flavors.

M- Lively, active and fizzy, but not astringent.

O- Good, but be careful transporting and opening it.

Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale) from Brewery Ommegang