Tripel Perfection | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Tripel

Ommegang's brewers spent several years refining their ideas of what a "perfect" tripel would be. In the original style, a Belgian tripel is a golden ale, from 8.5% to 10% ABV, with fruity flavors and aromas coming from the yeast. Tripels are simply brewed, but with great attention to detail. Ommegang Tripel Perfection goes beyond the exquisite attention to detail and adds spices to subtly enhance aromas and flavors. The result is a fine ale honoring Belgian brewing tradition, while also expanding on it in the new Ommegang tradition.

Added by cosmicevan on 04-25-2010

4.1

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Revision of my previous review. I appreciate this beer a lot more than I did with the previous review (3.58 overall). Corked and caged 750 ml bottle. Pours a hazy but bright orange color with a big delicately bubbly white head. Good head retention and plenty of filmy lacing on my Chimay goblet. A good looking beer. Strong aroma of light fruit (mostly pears but some apple too), peppery spicing and most important...Belgian yeast.

Flavor is great. A nice fruity background, enough pepper to keep it interesting and a heavy dose of Belgian yeast. Most of the great Tripels I have tried have almost a "cheese like" flavor because of the yeast. This one qualifies. Alcohol is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is impressive. Almost no alcohol presence, nice and rich with good spicing. I would rank this Tripel with the very best I have tried.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle date of 08/18/2010 served again on 03/08/2012. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Looks awesome already, semi clody golden amber which produced roughly a white 1" head.

Smell: Smells I pretty good, like fine wine. I get a hint of fruit and some yeast actually. I would grade this higher but doesn't stay with you like most other"tripels".

Taste: Jesus, Ommegang has added a lot of wow to this beer. Little sweet maybe for some tongue but yet bitter, the alcohol is pretty evident in taste. It's definitely not hidden and I love it.

Mouth: Medium, slight heavy carbonation. Goes down smooth though, very smooth!

Overall: I have had about 3 bottles of this beer and just decided now to review as I am drinking one at the moment. Sad but I didn't know this was a limited brew so I am happy I stocked up from last year. If you can get your hands on Perfection, don't take it for granted it is an extremely well made beer and incredible for true bee lovers alike. Cheers to all and love this beer!

P.S. : This beer gets better with age, hold on to it and let it

2.5/5  rDev -39%

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

I picked up this bottle a while ago and threw it into my cellar (basement). I poured the beer into my expensive chalice (snifter on sale at Pier One). I even dressed for the occasion (T-shirt and jeans).

This is a very good tripel. I really like the way it smells. The aging brings out a ton of flavor and smell. There is the belgian sour/yeasty presence. It is great pulling in the smell from this beer.

I like how strong this beer tastes. The belgian flavor persists into drinking it.

Overall, this is a very good experience. I would recommend it, but I just found out that it was a limited edition. It is a very good Tripel.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A: A cloudy golden-orange pour with an enormous frothy white head. Ridiculous head, even. Head retention is excellent. Lacing is a little weak, otherwise this would be a 5.

S: Pears and apples up front. Nice grass and citrus from the hops.

T: Again, lots of pears and apples. Nice light citrus (lemons mainly) mixes well with the typical bready belgian yeast flavors. It's a little wheaty in fact, I wonder if there is any wheat in the malt bill. A little bit of grass in the aftertaste mixes in with the citrus. There is a nice strong peppery spiciness everywhere.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is just about perfect.

O: Excellent tripel. Very deceptively light and crisp despite the heavy ABV. The taste elements are well balanced and go together well.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

750mL bottle (no dates/codes) into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy golden straw w/ a pillowy white head that slowly deflates like an air mattress.

Aroma is fruity, yeasty, pungent & earthy.

Taste is smooth and rich, fruity with a bitter finish. Citrus, mango, spice. A mild lingering malt sweetness. Full-bodied and thirst-quenching.

Overall a solid tripel, disappointing only in the relatively low carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%