Ommegang Zuur | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

A beautifully made, carefully blended, and well-aged sour beer, (it is aged on cherries) made in collaboration with Brouwerij Liefmans of Belgium. Ommegang brewmaster Phil Leinhart went to the Liefmans brewery in Oudenaarde, Belgium, and worked side by side with their master blender to create a distinctive beer unlike any other. Complex, lightly malty, tart, ruby color, with just a touch of hops. (Zuur means "sour "in Dutch).

Added by drabmuh on 06-06-2010

1.33/5  rDev -65.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by chswimmer. Thanks Craig!

A: Murky maroon body. Pours with a half-finger of light cream head. Retention is poor, but scattered lace is left behind in the snifter. Amusingly, the cork was very short (looking like a mushroom) and it popped out spontaneously as Craig was opening the cage. It almost took his head off.

S: Malty. Brown sugar, artificial cherry (think cough syrup), light oak, and a small lactic presence. It's not super-pungent, nor does it require a lot of agitation to bring out the aromas, but it's simply lacking in presence and satisfaction.

T: Same. The flavor is mostly a sweet, tart cherry (actually, "Sweet Tart" candy came to mind), with very light sourness. Some caramel and oak. Surprisingly sweet for the style. I expected more vinegar. This isn't satisfying on any level.

M: Light-bodied, thin. High carbonation, giving a foamy, watery mouthfeel. This, and the artificial cherry, remind me of drinking Cherry Coke.

D: A unanimous disappointment at the tasting. I'm glad I didn't buy this. Sorry, Craig.

1.74/5  rDev -54.6%

A: The pour is a dark red-brown color with a medium sized off-white/khaki colored head.

S: A bit of cherry, a bit of vinegar, not really any oak. The cherry aromas are mostly artificial, in the vain of cough syrup, and quite off-putting. There isn't much intensity to the nose, but what is there isn't good.

T: Bleck, the flavor is even worse (somehow). Mildly sweet and mildly tart but nothing positive at all. Maybe some more of the fake cherries and red wine vinegar, along with a tinge of metal.

M: The body is somewhat watery and light with a very high level of carbonation.

D: This was just terrible. I want my $12 back.

1.89/5  rDev -50.7%

I am yet to negatively rate a beer, but this is my first.

Poured a medium brown color with a scent of hops.

There was a non-existing head, possibly because of lack of care at the liquor store where I purchased it.

The taste was unforgettable. Almost as if I was eating old sour patch kids. My taste buds cringed at every little sip. It was overpoweringly sour in taste.

I understand that this MAY be the style of the beer, but for me it was my first drain pour.

I will never purchase this beer again.

1.97/5  rDev -48.6%

My 1st Flanders Oud Bruin that is obviously meant to be a sour beer. I am finding that I am not into this sour booze stuff so it should not be construed as a slam against ZUUR but maybe sours.

Lemony after taste. This may be the best sour beer in history, and I know many knuckleheads come up with horse bs aroma descriptions that will say raisins, cherries, and whatever. This is fruity and a tinsy bit putrid scent in there. Taste that way too. I love Belgian brews and Ommegang is my all time favorite brewery, but I guess I am just not cut out for Ouds.

2.12/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured a gorgeous amber-red color with a nice but short lived tan head. Body glows with light due to the haziness. This smells like sour apples cherries. The yeast is sour/tart and musty/earthy. Upon first sip you pucker like a mother fucker! then as it goes down a super malty roastiness comes through. It guess it would be like sucking on a sweet tart and then chewing on a tootsie roll.

I kind of wish these 2 flavors worked better together. Its EXTREMELY intense sourness followed by mellow malt toastiness. This beer attacks my palate with each sip.

The feel is lighten than i would have expected. I am very disappointed in this. I rarely drain pour. But I could only drink about half of this.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.37/5  rDev -38.1%

On tap at Paramount Room into a pint glass...Pours muddy brown, light tope head, poor retention...The aroma sucks completely. This is not at all what an oud bruin smells like. Its super malty, figs, dark fruits, sugar, and the finish brings only the lightest whisper of vinegar. No tartness at all...The taste is just as bad, no tart or vinegar, just a malty mess.

Do not bother drinking this beer. It is a horrible rip off a Belgian style sour. Shame on Ommegang who usually does a good job on these beers for having me waste $10 on a pint.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle shared at a tasting thanks to chswimmer on BA.

Pours dark reddish-brown with a small off-white head.

Aroma is slightly tart cherries and slight vinegar. Not terribly much to it.

Flavor is pretty uninspiring. Not very flavorful at all, I must say. There are some cherries, oak, and red wine vinegar, but the main flavor note is weakness. I don't appreciate that in a beer.

Somewhat watery on the palate. Very slight tartness.

This beer is not very good for the style at all. We didn't finish the bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

I wasn't going to review this because sours are NOT my thing at all, but I still got a lot from this brew so why not.

Poured a deep reddish brown color. Minimal off-white head that mostly dissipated, leaving some lacing. Aroma was...sour. Smelled like green apples to me. Also got some other fruits in the aroma as well as a bready note. I didn't really want to try it after smelling it and hearing the bartender say it was one of the most sour beers she's ever had...but I did anyway. Tasted of green apples, sour grapes, slightly sweet malts and a tad bit of yeast. A little wheaty? YIKES...this stuff IS sour. I definitely puckered when drinking it as a sample.

Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. Lip-puckering for sure. It wasn't very complex or well-balanced compared to the few other sours I've tried. Not bad, just average.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Hazy brown with red highlights. The head is off-white, showing decent retention.

Smells OK, a bit bland. Whole grain bread, faint acetic acid and cherries. Slightly metallic.

Tastes essentially the same as it smells. The cherry flavor is neither sweet nor sour, and there's only a hint of bacterial acidity. Slight balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar notes and toasted bread appear mid-palate, but the finish is oddly watery and brief, faintly metallic. The body is thin.

There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer, but it's rather bland and uninspired. Ommegang Rouge was infinitely better.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

750mL brown glass cork and cage.

Appearance: Pours super dark brown with some reddish hues. Off-white/tan head stands up super tall for a sour.

Nose: Vinegar, sherry, cherry skins. Nose is spot-on oud bruin/kriek.

Palate: Light bodied and thin. Cherry flash-in-the-pan acidity, some caramel and chocolate. Super quick finish on a somewhat sweet dried fruit note.

Notes: The nose is impeccable. I mean downright obscene. Outright outrageous. But the palate is too quick and too simple. I miss Liefman's.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle split with my most consistent drinking partner Andy.

Poured into my tulip the beer is dark chestnut brown with blood red edges. A huge off white head rises three fingers high before fading quickly. Spots of lace left behind. A nice cap has settled on top.

Ther aroma is pretty much tart cherries and just a touch of funk. Not much else going on. Maybe a hint of oak.

The flavor is pretty much a mirror of the nose. Tart cherries and a bit of malt. No where near as sour as I had hoped. Not real flavorful period.

Medium to light lifeless body.

Overall nothing special. Not bad just not good. Very average sour.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Had on tap at Ravenous Pig in Winter Park Florida.

A: Mahogany with very little off white head and a touch of lace clinging to side of glass.

S: Balsamic Vinegar/ Sherry notes/ Hazelnut/ Wood/ Malt

T: More of the sherry notes come out on the palate with a little bit of the malt adding some sweetness with a wood accent.

MF: Fairly thin on the mouth with a moderate sour finish that ends to quickly

D: Goes down pretty easy, however, there is not enough here to intrigue me to keep drinking.

Overall:
This beer is just ok. I would probably not visit it again.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

First had: on tap at the Pour House, Westmont, NJ

This was good, but very sour (as is to be expected from the style). I doubt I could get through a whole pint of this, but once you get over the shock of the first sip, it's not that bad.

Poured a dark mahogany, with a...greenish-clear rim? A finger of frothy, off-white head. Aroma was not too strong, but there was a definite sourness going on, a tad phenolic. Big sour twang up front in the taste, sour grapes, cranberries, and apples, with bready malts and woodiness in the background. Medium mouthfeel, lip-puckering, drinkable if sour is your thing. Otherwise, you might want to sample this before committing to a full glass.

Ommegang Zuur from Brewery Ommegang