Rare Vos (Amber Ale) | Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000

Reviews: 1,143 | Ratings: 3,281
Reviews by LiquorsInc:
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Such a pleasant Belgian style ale. And pleased to find in 12 oz bottle with tasteful graphics. Spiced just right, so as to not be distracting; Alcohol level perfect; appearance is classic with deep Amber color and mature head. Good as a sipper - or as a quencher. Great domestic rendition of traditional Belgian style.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark honey amber color. Forms about 3 fingers of a firm thick head with great retention. (4.75)

S: Caramel malts, bready. Citric hints, orange zest. Floral hops, syrupy, and peppery hints. (4.75)

T: A bit spicy, sweet. Citrusy, follows the nose on the orange and light hints of lemon. Nutty, moderately bitter. Dry and yeasty in the end. (4.5)

M: Medium-bodied, very rich and refreshing. Perfect carbonation, somewhat creamy. (4.5)

O: I would drink this over Three Philosophers or Tripel Perfection any day, absolutely love this brew. Very rich and refreshing. (4.75)

4.16/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If any of you are following my dozens of reviews you will find it apparent that I absolutely love Ommegang. They are truly a world-class brewery and I think everyone should pay more attention to them. This variety is a delicious Amber Ale whose name means “Sleek Fox”. What’s more is that this brewery has a partnership with a Belgian brewery and that is where they get their yeast. It has a pleasant 6.5% ABV and is delicious so let’s take a look.

Look-It has a complex color that changes in the light. It is multi-toned, but definitely is an amber copper color at heart. It pours with a two-fingered head which has a slightly off-white color and is composed of large bubbles from the overactive carbonation.

Smell-I get caramel and apricot as well as a mild spiciness to it which is a really pleasant mix.

Taste-It has a lot of subtle fruitiness and mild hops on a buttered biscuit. I taste the apricot and fruits like orange peel, malt, honey, spices and yeast. Absolutely intriguing flavor as it is subtle yet complex and has a lot to offer in each sip.

Mouthfeel-The feel has a pretty high carbonation content making it have qualities similar to a cola, but is otherwise smooth, thick, and nutty.

Overall-This is such a refreshing and crisp brew. It has everything that you could want from an Amber Ale and I think that I’ll be drinking this one again soon. It is hard to describe, but it somehow manages to pack a lot of flavors without making it obvious what you are tasting so that each sip reveals a little more of this beauty.

3.56/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle
Drank from the glass shoe of a princess.
Nice lace,
Very little scent
The absolute best colour of any beer I think I have seen. It's like waking up in a beer ad.
Tight concentrated carbonation that improves about 15 min in to carpet your mouth with champagne-like ribbons of foam. Carbonation stays strong through the life of the bottle
Flavour is definitely muted, with hints of fruit and very subdued spice. Very slight sour/bitter finish on every drink
Flavour bumps up a few notches if you hand warm it and bring it close to the room temperature of a stone castle in May.
Not a style I seek out, but nice for what it was, US dollar makes this a pricy drink at apprx 12 Can so I will likely try something else next time.
If this was Flanders in 1918 and I just had my arm shot off I would have been good friends with this style. The ABV really makes it 2 bottles to oblivion.

3.87/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a hazy deep orange with a medium head that sticks around for quite some time,the aroma is orangy and pretty clovey.The taste is a little tart to begin with and a lingering spiciness to it.Nice mouthfeel to it and seems to be pretty drinkable, something a little different.

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

A nice looking amber pour with a very generous, foamy white head. The nose to be quite subtle, almost dull. Light grassy notes with hints of lemon zest. The taste also seems more mild than i excpected. Bland up front followed by a very light caramel-fudge sweetness in the middle. The finish leans towards the sweeter side with mild spice, lemon and even a touch of woodiness. The mouthfeel is very smooth, almost flat...to light bodied for my liking. An easy drinker but not something i can see myself enjoying bottle after bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My least favorite of Ommegang’s beers but that’s like saying that Last Crusade is my least favorite Indian Jones film. It may be the one I prefer least but it’s still a classic.]

Appearances first: Rare Vos, like most of Ommegang’s brews opens with a thunderous pop capable of sending the cork flying across a large room. As I pour the beer into my glass a bright orange body is revealed and a tremendous fluffy off white cloud froths to the top of the glass. It is just magnificent.

The aroma explodes with yummy apricot biscuits, Belgian yeasts, honey muffins, cherries, grapes, floral hops, and pepper.

Medium body, lively spirit, citrusy and dry. Perfectly balanced. Taste is primarily orange peal wrapped in caramel with a touch of lemon zest and wheat.

Drinkable as any of this fine brewery’s beers. Just a wonderful example of the style. It’s miraculous that this is made in the states.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hmmmmm. I love me some Ommegang brews but I'm a bit confused by this beer. I'm a Belgian beer freak, so I've had my fair share of good Belgian brews. It seems like this beer is trying to be more "Americanized" due to the hops. The beer is quite malty, there is no doubt about that but its the hops that throw me off. I'm not a big fan of bitters, and while this beer has a low IBU rating of about 21, the backend of this beer has something that confuses me (the taste of those hops).

The person that poured this beer for me totally F'd it up. There was like a 8 finger head. It felt like all of the carbonation was gone. I think I need to try this again. As of right now I can't say that I'm a huge fan of this beer, but I think the pouring of the brew could have significantly changed it. I think all of the carbonation was gone when I took my first sip. It tasted flat. I think it smells great, looks good, but the taste was a little off to me. I might have to try it again.

EDIT: Definitely drink this beer on the warmer side. I was drinking it very cold but when I let it sit all of the spices come out and the hops aren't as pronounced. I'm glad I let it sit. That's the way this is meant to be drank.

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Enjoyed on 1/15/11. Thanks to BuckyFresh for bringing the bottle.

Rare Vos pours cloudy and amber-orange with a huge 3-finger head that is blindingly white. I can see through the beer right at the top of the body. Streaks and dots of lacing on the glass are very splashy.

A deep inhale reveals a very fruity smelling brew, with strong notes of pear and apple. Funky Belgian yeast is very prominent in my nose with softer floral notes also apparent. When agitated in my snifter the smell is very funky and spicy.

The taste is a very interesting combination of hearty malt malt and that spicy, funky yeast. That peppery spice really hits hard on the sides of mouth and the top of my tongue. Fruity notes of pear and crisp apple blend with a very floral taste.

The moutfeel is very medium bodied and smooth on my tongue while also being very nippy at the sides of my mouth. It is a spicy feel with just a little tartness to it.

This is a very easy drinker, but I really did not find it all that unique or interesting. Also, for me, the spiciness was just a bit overpowering and could have been balanced a little more by the fruitiness and a little bigger malt presence. Still, it is an enjoyable beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

One of my favorite beers!

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.96/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Poured a slightly hazy coppery amber color with about a 1/2" puffy white head. Good head retention and light lacing.

S: Aromas of malt, dates, and brown sugar.

T: Complex malt flavors come together fantastically as they flood the taste buds with the familiar Belgian ale taste. Oh yeah - this isn't authentic Belgian ale! I find it hard to tell the difference. Flavors are a touch dry with hints of candy sugar sweetness and some interesting fruit and spice flavors. Finish is malty and a bit dry with a fair amount of linger.

M&D: Mouthfeel is pretty good with a medium body despite the lighter flavors. Carbonation is light but steady adding to the lighter mouth feel. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Decent beer is torpedoed by Belgian floral flavors (from yeast?).

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%