Rare Vos (Amber Ale) | Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000

Reviews: 1,146 | Ratings: 3,292
3.06/5  rDev -24.3%

Great looking beer. Copper orange, hazy, with a big head. Notes of orange, spice, and some barn yard smells. Fairly uneventful drink. The orange/citrus and spice hit again, but nothing that is worth talking about. Very drying. Wish I’d picked the Hennepin.

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color of a red cloud. A biege head came and went quickly, leaving almost nothing. Slightly hazy. Yellow in the thin parts. Nose is very spicy alcohol. Very estery- very tart on the tongue, very dry finish with a lingering tartness. Drinkiability OK, but i would like to try again.

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

This was a hazy amber-orange beer with a three finger head. Looked OK, a little darker than I expected.

The aroma was spicy, with caramel and raisin notes, and a little sourness.

The taste was a little sour, followed by malt with a touch of sweetness, then some raisins and spiciness, and a glow of alcohol in the finish. Interesting, but it didn't blow me away.

Mouthfeel wasn't that impressive, only a little better than average... drinkability wasn't that great. Overall, I thought it was OK, but I wouldn't have another one on my own.

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured a bright tangerine-cranberry color with a large white head. Tons of bubbles, this almost looks like some sort of lambic from the color and high carbonation. Aroma is sweet and fruity, including concord grapes, buttery yeast, and a bit of malt. The mouthfeel of this is over carbonated and really thins out the full flavors of the brew. Very fruity tasting, a little bit of spiceness from the yeast and hops, but hardly any malt flavor. I was rather disappointed, this is my least favorite from Ommegang so far. Really left me wanting a bottle of Hennepin.

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%

Serving type: 750 ml. bottle.

Pours a cloudy amber color with a thick foamy white head and large chunks of yeast floating around. Citrus sour aroma of lemon, orange and grapefruit. Sweet citrus flavor that contains a lot of yeast and a touch of maltiness.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

750 ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

A reddish pink color that reminds me of a blushing rosé. Big fizzy head, really nice retention and lacing.

Smells sweet... Like holy candied sugar batman! The malts and brewer's sugar have put in a full day's work here-- this is what flowers remind eachother to stop and smell when the see a downtrodden companion.

Caramel-covered citrus fruit and even a strange hint of sugar coated banana make their way into the flavor profile... A little booze bite on the finish, and at only 6.5% ABV?! For shame allagash, for shame!
(I'm eying the bottle with the kind of look a vegetarian might have when discovers a caterpillar in his salad).
Lots of carbonation. Halfway through glass #1 and I'm feeling the need to expell a loud gaseous rumbling from my, as they say in Belgium, 'pie-hole."

Feels light and airy due to the massive carbonation. I reckon this beer could be called "medium" if it weren't so bubbly.

Overall-- not anything impressive here, except perhaps my review itself.
Move along. This is not the BPA you're looking for.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Big, long lasting, whitish head. Fairly good clarity, rich copper color.

Malty nose, a bit citrusty. No hop and not much (if any) spice. A small amount of alcohol, but otherwise clean and subdued.

Malty up front balanced by a big hit of hop bitterness. Finishes a bit malty and not overly dry.

Medium body, with some snappy carbonation. Despite the carbonation is generally creamy with a bit of alcohol warming.

Overall a bit too big and strong of a Belgian Pale for regular drinking, but a nice beer.

3.19/5  rDev -21%

Rare Vos, Sampled a 75cl bottle. Poured a pale caramel color with a nice persistent head. Had a slight musky,earthy smell to it.Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. The taste wasn't very strong for this "Belgian Style" Ale; it has a malty/grainy/bitter taste and a dry, slight alcohol finish which didn't mesh very well.Maybe they should call this their english brown ale.Not Ommegangs best beer thankfully.

3.19/5  rDev -21%

Pour: 750ml bottle to wide mouth wine glass. This beer looks absolutely mouth watering, like cloudy, fizzy apricot juice. Weakest part was the quickly disappearing head, but even that left okay lacings.

Nose: I was surprised when this beer had a weak aroma because it wasn't consistent with the beauty of the pour. Most dectable scents were citrus and honey.

Mouth: Another disappointment. This beer is too sour and tasted of some variety of winter squash - which I found unfavorable. Mouthfeel is okay though, good carbonation.

Overall: More eye candy than anything else.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, the closest thing I could find to the suggested glass on the bottle. Extremely thick tan head, amber colored beer.

Spices, berries, and yeasts; a lovely smell.

Unfortunately, the taste disappoints, especially for an Ommegang offering. It's a bit bland for a Belgian inspired beer. Too watery and lacking in flavor.

What flavor there is is OK, it just doesn't blow your socks off. Malts, berries, and then a touch of acidity and baking soda in the aftertaste.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle via Stop & Shop. It was cheaper then usual. I'm suspicious. No print in the "best by" date area.

750 poured into my Rare Vos tumbler. Left most of the yeast cake on the bottom. Yay for me.

Body is an ever so slightly stirred, amber/orange color, with an inch of slightly yellowed, wispy head.

Smells sort of like unripened pears, Kaiser rolls, a bit of pine, & sticky beer residue.

Honey bread crust, a little green grape sweetness, & pepper stand out most. Cereal grains, salt, mild yeast, muted orange rind bitterness, & a touch of alcohol burn. Mild bittersweet grain finish.

Yeasty sediment makes it feel somewhat creamy, though the carbonation is a touch strong. 6.5% ABV feels about right.

Probably tied for my least favorite Ommagang Beer(along with the Witte). I don't think it deserves the big bottle treatment or the pricetag, as it's just an everyday so-so amber in a flooded market. Though even then, it seems it gets a decent score from me.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Alrighty, let's see what this Sly Fox has - and the pour starts off on the right foot. Semi-hazy orange amber with a very nice ivory head gently floating on top. Sticky lace coats my Corsendonk tulip.

Sweet fruits surface in the aroma, mixed amongst the Belgium yeast. A rather dry Belgium style brew, the fruits don't make much a statement in the taste. A bit of peppery spice help add some pizzazz, but all things considered - this won't be one I go for again.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours an dense orange/amber with a mega off-white head that is slowly diminishing. Aroma of bread and fruit. Initial taste of fruit and spice. Flavor dries out at the backend and is kinda yeasty. Light to medium body, light carbonation, limited lacing, and light on alcohol. Overall, on par with Ommegang offerings, not particularly special.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Fuel and Fuddle, Pittsburgh, PA (Oakland).

Poured a copper color with an off-white head. Served to me in a normal pint glass and not a tulip or other preferred glassware, which might account for almost no head or aroma. I was tempted to rate lower on both counts, but did not due to the pint glass. Keep that in mind when considering my review.

Up Front I taste a big malty, caramel/molasses sweetness followed by some fruitiness that reminds me of cherry. Next comes just a little peppery yeastiness. It finishes with some alcohol warming, which surprised me for the ABV of the beer.

Pretty good mouthfeel.

This brew is a little sweet for me to drink a ton of.

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

A nice looking amber pour with a very generous, foamy white head. The nose to be quite subtle, almost dull. Light grassy notes with hints of lemon zest. The taste also seems more mild than i excpected. Bland up front followed by a very light caramel-fudge sweetness in the middle. The finish leans towards the sweeter side with mild spice, lemon and even a touch of woodiness. The mouthfeel is very smooth, almost flat...to light bodied for my liking. An easy drinker but not something i can see myself enjoying bottle after bottle.

3.27/5  rDev -19.1%

Dark, rich amber body has a nice glow. The head starts off big-bubbled and a bit fizzy, but settles into a nice cream-colored melted icecream layer that doesn't seem to get any thinner. Plentiful streaming carbonation gives the beer a sense of being alive. Very estery aroma, a bit herbal and some vague fruit. The flavor is surprisingly dry, when starts me off calling it thin, but is perhaps better labeled as subtle. The fruit and herbs of the end are quite pleasant, but there's a slight metallic bitterness detracts a bit.

3.27/5  rDev -19.1%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a very nice golden copper color with a slight ruby tint. Three-fingers of loose foamy off-white colored head. Retention is okay. Lacing is very good.

Sweet malts dance with belgian yeast notes. A nice scent of grassiness. Nice notes of caramel breads. Good presence of apples and pears. Nice touch of allspice and a hint of corriander.

The allspice and apple/pear flavors come out first, reminding me, slightly, of cider. A nice malty sweetness then gets attacked by tangy yeast notes and a touch of funk. It's not bad by any means, just slightly out-of-balance.
The flavor didn't live up to the promise of the nose. It's not a total mess, it's just slightly askew.

Nice level of creaminess, but the carbonation is a touch too sharp. A smoother body would benefit this one, greatly.

It's drinkable, sure. Would I go out of my way for it, though? No.
This upsets me, because I love Ommegang. I'll track down another bottle and try this one again, when I can. I'll update this review, if necessary.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy amber color ale with a huge white foamy head with excellent retention. Aroma of floral malt, sweet hops with some subtle spices and a touch of Belgian-type yeast. Taste is a nice mix between some floral sweet malt and discreet yeast with some spices. Body is just above average but carbonation is a bit low for a Belgian Ale.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours amber with a huge white head (first pour) and fair lacings. Aroma is dominated by yeast. Taste is Belgian yeast strain, sweet malts, hint of bitter hops. Has a bit of boiled ham in the aftertaste. Overall an interesting beer that I probably won't try again.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pale orange, with plenty of haze. Thick white head with excellent retention. Nice lacing to the bottom of the glass.

S: Fruity, especially citrus and tropical. Low spicy hop aroma, and virtually no malt aroma.

T: Low caramel malt, with a nice, drying hop bitterness. Belgian yeast phenolics (peppery) and lots of esters - reminiscent of red berries. Low spicy hop flavor. Not terribly well-balanced. Slightly tart. Needs more malt to support the other flavor features. Alcohol flavors are evident - could be better hidden in a beer of moderate strength.

MF: Somewhat astringent finish. Prickly carbonation. Light body.

D: Not bad, but doesn't make me crave another as I had hoped.

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, but this beer left me somewhat disappointed.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

I was pretty excited about trying this one out: a first for me by this brewery, and a first forray into the style after trying trippels, dubbels, wits and saisons.

When I cracked the 12 oz. bottle, there was a foam over, so I grabbed the gobblet quickly and poured as regular. The head was pretty thin, less than a finger and faded quickly. Thick dark amber color.

The smell was so dry it was almost nonexistent. Not until there was only about 4 oz. left in the glass did I get a sense of some dry fruitiness (grapes).

The taste was metalic and a little winey, like a malted cab sauv. Tasted alcoholic, even at relatively low ABV. Not really a whole lot going on besides.

Fairly astringent and dry mouthfeel.

At the end of the glass, I didn't want another one and am hoping that I won't be quite so disappointed with the bottle of Ommegang that I've had hanging around.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

A - Two and a half fingers of white head, supported by a clear, bright golden body. The head settles slowly and leaves a moderate coating of lace.

S - Herbal hops, tropical fruit, pepper and coriander.

T - Malty and a bit spicy/ phenolic. Herbal hops appear in the middle and contribute bitterness to the tangy, sour finish.

M - Medium body, high carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - I really recall this being a better beer than it is, but I have no reason to think that there is anything with this bottle. Nothing particularly bad about it, but it is just kind of dull and unremarkable, especially the flavor.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Ommegang universal glass.Drank at a little above cellar temperature.This bottle was bottled in august of 2006 so it may not be the freshest.

Two finger white head and a body that looks like cherry 7-UP.Tons of bubbles streaming to the top of my glass.The head aint moving for anything.Creamy head and some nice lacing on my glass.

I smell pepper in my nose and there is somthing else there but I cant think of what it taste like.

The taste is very delicate and almost taste like champaigne(sp).I taste some hop bitterness in there and some lemon maybe.I taste some pepper in there and some zest of some sort.The taste is very clean also.

The mouthful is delicate and easy on the palate and easy going down.The mouthful is also thin but I think that is what they were trying to do with it.

This aint bad, I dont think its the freshest it could be but thats my fault.It is very subtle though and would be good for getting a person into belgian beers.Its not overpowering in any sort,this would be a great summer beer.Nice beer.

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%

Dull auburn with a slender copper highlighting the edges. Gorgeous one inch crown of dusty yellowed fluffy meringue roots itself to the top for an eternity. A thick muddled skim remains once it does fade through from consumption and the lacing collapses into thin webbed butterfly wings. Lavishly beautiful for the winkers!

Quite a dry yeastified nose with a touch of fruits.It's a dry yeast forest of dried mushrooms, dust, chalk, and alumnium foil with a trickling under current of fruits adding some soft banana, pear, and starfruit.

Flavors are extremely mellow and calm; it has an onslaught of yeasty dry stuff carrying over from the nose with a chalky, alkaline, celery thing taking up a good portion of it. Wheat cracker backing; smidges of fruits kinda surface around the corners; pear mostly, and I think thats mostly because of the feel which is much like a pear, it has that odd texture that kinda dulls the tongue off with a drying sense. The pushy chalk and tin sits far to long though and never wants to leave the palate or lets the fruits get by.

Feel is just shy of a medium body with a dump truck of dryness and the formly mentioned chalkyness and tin. Its not a total puckering though, its a mellow easy dryness, but by a fair amount over what I like.

This was to dry for my taste, the mellowness is too mellow and the complexity it seemingly has just doesn't seem to really peak any where and the dryness flat out takes too much out of it for me. A dry yeast beast masqueraded as a scrumptiously lush looking brew...hmm...Viking brew anyone?

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Most beautiful beer I've seen to date, but the taste just isn't there for me. I'd drink again, but I wouldn't buy again. Taste like the older brother of dogfish head namaste

Rare Vos (Amber Ale) from Brewery Ommegang