Rare Vos (Amber Ale) | Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000

Ratings: 3,338 |  Reviews: 1,159
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

3.23/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful carbonation as I would expect from an Ommegang beer. This one is very similar to a hefeweizen. The smell is spicy yeast with some light fruits and banana. Maybe some.very faint peanut also. The taste follows with a nice tasty finish. yb

3.42/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from a Lazy dog.
slightly hazy medium golden color with a huge bubbly frothy off white head that takes forever to recede. Clove and spice lay heavy on the nose with some faint bready maltiness. The flavor is sweet bready malt light earthy big clove and peppery spice. Well made beer, but its a bit heavy on the clove and spice for my tastes.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: It doesn't take much to raise the head on this beer and I should have expected as much from Ommegang: a full three fingers caps the hazy copper colored liquid; excellent retention and lacing action

Smell: Spice cake, cinnamon, fig and caramel tones

Taste: Caramel, cinnamon and fig forward, with peppery spice and yeast phenols building through the middle; Belgian spicing builds, through the finish creating a hot, gingery sensation

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slightly overcarbonated

Overall: Pretty decent brew from Ommegang; not sure why they market this as an Amber given all that style descriptor connotes

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hmmmmm. I love me some Ommegang brews but I'm a bit confused by this beer. I'm a Belgian beer freak, so I've had my fair share of good Belgian brews. It seems like this beer is trying to be more "Americanized" due to the hops. The beer is quite malty, there is no doubt about that but its the hops that throw me off. I'm not a big fan of bitters, and while this beer has a low IBU rating of about 21, the backend of this beer has something that confuses me (the taste of those hops).

The person that poured this beer for me totally F'd it up. There was like a 8 finger head. It felt like all of the carbonation was gone. I think I need to try this again. As of right now I can't say that I'm a huge fan of this beer, but I think the pouring of the brew could have significantly changed it. I think all of the carbonation was gone when I took my first sip. It tasted flat. I think it smells great, looks good, but the taste was a little off to me. I might have to try it again.

EDIT: Definitely drink this beer on the warmer side. I was drinking it very cold but when I let it sit all of the spices come out and the hops aren't as pronounced. I'm glad I let it sit. That's the way this is meant to be drank.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -4%

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Yeast smell and taste

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Smells of the typical Ommegang brew, with an estery banana-clove-circus peanut(candy )smell. Pours a coppery orange. Almost glows. Orangey-off-white generous head. Typical amber ale malty flavor, + spice,citrus, and just enough hop bitterness to give a little pleasant bite on the finish. Moderately heavy mouthfeel. You know something is there. Some days this seems damn near perfect, though even on the off days , it's better than 95% of anything I've ever had. A great beer, & an all-time favorite. :)

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%