Gnomegang | Brewery Ommegang

Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato
FG: 2.9 o Plato
IBU: 26

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2011

Ratings: 1,575 |  Reviews: 459

1.3/5  rDev -68.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

First of all, this is a Belgian-style blonde ale, NOT a pale ale. This beer was from
I normally don't rate beer styles that I don't like, but I got this beer in an assortment of New York state brewery beers given to me as a gift.and I drank it knowing only that it was labeled a blonde ale. Blonde ales often are nothing more than light beers, so I generally avoid the style altogether. However, in this case, with its 9.5% abv, Gnomegang can in no way be considered a light beer. In any case, I took my first drink thinking this was nothing more than your typical blonde ale, not having looked closely at the label.
First impression was an astringent, acidic taste, citric acid perhaps, but pretty much overwhelmingly acidic. Startled, I took my first look at the label and saw for the first time that this was a Belgian style blonde ale. Two strikes, as I normally avoid any beer labeled "Belgian" because of the odd taste that always seems to accompany that style of beer. In any case I finished the bottle, despite the strong chemical aftertaste that did nothing to improve the original impression.
It goes without further explanation that this beer did nothing to change my impression of Belgian-style beers. Truly something I hope never to mistakenly taste again.

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.72/5  rDev -57.9%

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

Glad I only purchased a single of this one, a bit too hoppy for my liking which seems incongruous with the strong yeasty flavor.

1.9/5  rDev -53.5%

I had this at Oblivion Tap Room here in Orlando Florida and was very unimpressed with it. It poured well in a cloudy gold tint with a nice head. It smelled slightly of cloves with hints of what I thought was bananas. As soon as I tried it, it easily was one of the worst beers that I have had recently. I could not taste what was going on with it. Not balanced at all but very complex and left a sweet bitter after taste. You could taste nothing but the cloves. I could not finished it, for me it was that bad. Possibly I got a bad batch but will not take the change of ordering it again.

2.43/5  rDev -40.6%

Pours cloudy orange with a minimal white head.

Very sweet aroma. Smells like gingerbread with some banana, clove and bubblegum with a little funkiness.

Eww way too sweet. Starts off with some cloying sweet bread character. Banana is somewhat presence, but the clove then overpowers and it finishes sweet and clovey. Accentuates all the worst aspects of the style.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

I found this completely horrible. The clove was way overdone and the sweetness provided a weird character. Had I been drinking it by myself, it probably would've ended up down the drain, but I gutted through my ~7 oz.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a very cloudy pale straw color. The head has large white bubbles at 1 1/2 fingers. The bottle lists the ABV (9.5%) and a born on date (9/30/14). The date is *really* hard to read - it is black on black.

S: [2.50] Pungent, spicy, funky. Wheat-y? (is that a word thing?)

T: [2.25] Strong wheat and yeast up front. Very pronounced. I thought there was a hint of hard apple cider, in the beginning, but it was less noticeable over time.

M: [3.00] High carbonation and zing on the tongue.

O: [2.75] Wheat beers are not my thing and this is on the less desirable end of that spectrum. I just did not enjoy this beer. Don't read my review if you like wheat beers.

2.68/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden ale with grassy, yeasty aroma and sweet, sugary palate that coats your mouth.

Unbalanced. Too sweet. Nothing special.

The last few beers I have had from Ommegang have not met my expectations. I fear that have they have increased output they have decreased in quality.

2.69/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

2.94/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Gnomegang from Brewery Ommegang