Gnomegang | Brewery Ommegang

Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Always been a fan of Ommegang, and quite interested in what their collaboration with Chouffe will yield. I made short work of the previous 3 in the pack, but was careful to save one to review on a clean slate this warm summer evening.

Pours to a lovely first appearance: golden and opaque with a generously heady crown. After several minutes and sips, a solid layer of white remains. Not vigorously bubbly, but I did open this promptly after removing from the fridge so those bubbles might just be too cold to be excited at the moment. Impressively, this coating of head is retained right to the end.

Crisp citrus and surprisingly delicate yeast on the nose. I initially gave the smell a lower rating because I was expecting something more intense, but bumped it up a tad to show my appreciation for balance. But still, given the players involved I thought the yeast would be more upfront.

Yum. While first impressions were too subtle to fully appreciate, this blonde is winning me over. It's actually so lively that it would be an injustice to separate mouthfeel and taste in different paragraphs. Gnomegang coats my mouth with a full body of sweetness, which quickly and distinctly gives way to a gentle bitterness on the back and sides of my tongue. It finishes with a mild slight (and pleasant) metallic taste, that I attribute to the deceptively high abv (9.5).

Overall we have ourselves a winner. I am curious to see if the larger 750mL would have any effect on the bottle conditioning.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Hops and Pie. Golden yellow color, minimal head. Aroma of strong Belgian yeast, fruity, spicy. Flavor was yeasty, very fruity, very Belgian. Not quite my cup of tea but a well made Belgian strong golden for sure. Would I order this again? No but I'd buy abotyle for my girlfriend, she liked it a lot.

Gnomegang from Brewery Ommegang