Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Gnomegang | Brewery Ommegang

Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato
FG: 2.9 o Plato
IBU: 26

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2011

Ratings: 1,587 |  Reviews: 461

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a variety case a few weeks ago. Poured a 12-oz bottle of one of these into a large tulip glass for review.

A: Poured gently into glass and still ended up with some sediment. Even still, color appears clear blonde with nice rocky white head and lacing that sticks to half the glass sides.

S: Reminds of Chouffe yeast with spicy phenols and lots of sweet citrus esters. Maybe some black pepper or clove. Pretty classic Belgian aroma. No hot alcohols.

T: A sharp initial bitterness that quickly changes to sweet malts that remind me of lemon and vanilla. Sweet or bitter orange flavors. Nice lingering hop and spice bite at the end.

M: Feels about medium although this one could be perceived as somewhat lighter since the alcohol does not seem to be the strength as dictated on the bottle. This one drinks like a 5-6% ABV beer. Sneaky and strong. Smooth.

O: I'm particularly impressed with this beer as I have brewed a number of batches with the Chouffe yeast. I did a Belgian Blonde which came out similar to this one. I take my hat off to the brewery for doing such a wonderful job with this very enjoyable beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - pours a slightly hazy gold with an ephemeral head. Trace of lace. No bubbles.

S - clovey yeast with fruity esters, herbal and soft floral hops, soft malt. Pleasant. Soft-medium intensity.

T - is similar to the aroma, but it is somewhat difficult to describe in the general sense. To me, it tastes like a Belgian Golden Strong ale should. The clove isn't cloying like it is in some inferior German wheat beers, lol. If I brewed this, I wouldn't feel like I needed to change anything and would be perfectly happy drinking this beer which isn't the best beer I've ever tasted, but it's certainly a pleasure to drink.

M - light-medium body. Slightly oily. Light-medium bitterness with a short and pleasant sustain. A touch of heat from the booze and not even remotely harsh.

O - I remember drinking this beer a few years ago when it was only available in 750ml and liking it a lot. Now, it's only available in a mixed 8 pack and it's the star of the show. Give me this beer in 4 packs and I'd be a happy camper. A Gnomegang / Three Philosophers 8 pack would find a frequent home in my fridge.

Gnomegang from Brewery Ommegang