Ommegang Aphrodite | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

In Greek mythology, Aphrodite rises from the foam of the waves of the sea, enchanting all who see her, and inciting thoughts of love and lust wherever she goes.

We could hardly say it more eloquently. Our Limited Edition Aphrodite Ale is ethereal, intriguing and mysterious – as the Goddess Aphrodite must have been. Aphrodite has champagne-like carbonation, much as the foam of the waves of the sea. Plus enchanting flavors with whispers of raspberry and pear, and hints of funk and tartness created by the Brett yeast. The refreshing dryness comes from the unusual combination of Ommegang and Brett yeasts, and incites feelings of love, though we don't know about lust. Grains of paradise are infused into the nectar, and when poured Aphrodite is crowned with a luxuriously shimmering rose-pink head.

Added by AmericanGothic on 07-25-2011

Liked:
3.75/5
16%
Alströms:

1.25/5  rDev -66.7%

1.5/5  rDev -60%

1.55/5  rDev -58.7%

I get that this beer is not to my taste, and maybe someone who loves a lambic would feel differently, but I had to give it a try since Ommegang makes such great beer.

A: pink/orange/red-brown beer with a faintly pink head that starts off a finger thick and settles into a line - interesting, but not what I want to see in an ale.

S: fruity

T: ick: tart, sour, bitter raspberry and cherry

M: hard to evaluate the mouthfeel since I didn't like the taste, but it was lightly carbonated and left a sour aftertaste - like I washed down plain yogurt with orange juice.

O: not a repeater - pretty much confirms that I do not like fruity beers, sour beers, tart beers, or lambics. One of a very beers that I actually did not finish - emptied my glass and the bottle into the sink. Sorry, but this one was a stinker for me.

1.96/5  rDev -47.7%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1.5 inch fizzy pink head that dissipates steadily and loudly. Pours a semi-translucent red and leaves sweeping arches of lacing.

Smell: Smells bready, with a hint of funk and some raspberry. Bland. With warmth, some nice floral and woodsy aromas come out. It's nice and kind of refreshing... but do i want to drink it?

Taste: The answer is "No, I don't." Jesus, what a miss this beer is.

First sip is fruit juice and one-note dirty brett, with some mineral-y flavors and mildly puckering tartness. Bready aftertaste. Underlying hops and yeast have a bit of a cologne taste, but the dominant flavor is pear juice.

I was worried when I read the bottle that the raspberry juice and pear juice might have fully fermented out. My concern was unfounded; this tastes like a bottle of pear juice with some dirt and black pepper. I don't know what the fuck Ommegang was thinking with this.

There's more I could say, but no reason to bother. This is awful. Plus .5 points for the pepper note tasting good and the mild fresh raspberry that pops up every so often within the cologne / dirt / cheap fruit juice disaster.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Not as dry as the bottle would have you believe. Sort of teases you with tartness, but rather than going all the way it presents you with gritty dirt. Almost as bad as the taste.

Overall: Shit.

2.02/5  rDev -46.1%

bottle from the local bottle shop.

pours a ruby red with about a finger of pink head... why is my beer pink?

nose is strong raspberry with a wheat finish... not too bad, but is smells like it is going to be artificially sweetened, much like a lindemans...

taste is raspberry... strong raspberry... a bit of booze, and sweet. it actually does taste like a raspberry lindemans... or maybe a carbinated boons farms a bit... not quite to that extreme, but certainly reminds me of that. I am having a hard time drinking this. it is not good.

mouthfeels is fine, but this is kind of turning my stomach. I need to stop drinking this. It is going down the drain. man this was not good.

2.21/5  rDev -41.1%

A-opaque ruby pink in color as it pours into my ommegang chalice, fair amount of head and retention.

S-raspberry fruitiness abounds...smells a bit like raspberry soda, artificial flavoring and all...i was hoping it would have a more authentic, natural texture.

T-tart syrupy fruit with sour back end.

M-acidic. medium bodied, with sour afteraste.

O-you can't go terribly wrong with Ommegang, so i don't feel total buyer's remorse, but as a limited release this isn't something i'll miss once it's gone. in general, after this i think i give up on the fruit/vegetable beer style altogether. but hey, if you're into it...bottoms up!

salud!

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.33/5  rDev -37.9%

Has a bit of a light cranberry juice look to it. Take orange, red and brown and dump the colors into a blender, the color of this beer is what you get. The head is pinkish and fleeting, gone in no time.

Smells like raspberries and carrots. It's really a funky smell and I'm on the fence as to whether or not it works.

The taste does nothing for me. Similar to an old lambic. The raspberry flavor is there but it's tart the whole way.

There's a champagne like quality to it, particularly with the very dry, bitter finish. Really doesn't taste much like a beer; more like a wine cooler.

I really like Ommegang and maybe this is a good representation of some type of beer, but it's not for a fruit beer. This was disappointing from the second I popped the cork.

2.38/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle bought back in Feb '12, drank in Aug '12.

A: Pours ruby red with minimal red and no retention; like carbonated cranberry juice. Slight haze.

S: I can't help but think V8 Splash. Extremely sweet berry. Really no hint of brett.

T: Bready malt supplemented with strong, sweet fruits - sweet raspberry/strawberry. Slight tartness, unsure whether it's fruit or brett. Slight bitterness, finishes dry.

M: light body, dry finish, good carbonation

I'm not sure whether I dislike this style of beer (whatever you would call this), but I feel like the juices are overdone. More emphasis on the brett/yeast with the raspberry/pear juice as a supplement may have worked better. I seriously feel like I'm drinking a V8 Splash, not a beer.

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a chalice at the Lazy Boy Lounge in White Plains, NY.

Appearance: A very pretty deep raspberrry color. A wispy frothy head with no large bubbles. It looks ethereal, true to its name.

Smell: Fruity, you can especially distinguish the berries with hints of nectar. Smells "sweet".

Tastes: Initially, a bit of sweetness, followed by a whole lot of tartness and funk (way too much funk)with a slight medicinal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated

Overall: Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the fruit beers, however this was especially difficult for me. The best way I can describe it is that it confused my senses. The color and smell made my brain expect one thing but the overpowering funk, tartness and carbonation just threw me off.

I love Ommegang, but wouldn't try this again.

2.7/5  rDev -28%

The tan head scrams quickly, as if it has done something wrong, and doesn't want to get caught. It leaves no trace behind. Pure brown in color, and the only characteristic distinguishing this brew from a cup of tea was the froth. Sour fruits (soured fruits?), yeast and a little burnt sugar float languid from the goblet. Tastes tangy up front with big apricots, apples and white grapes. Small amounts of spice and taffy come into play. Has a soured, vinegary aftertaste that does not suit me in any form or fashion. A few sips in and things begining to calm down, but this one still has some serious issues with balance. Medium bodied. The Aprhrodite is not a drain pour, mostly because of the price, and I really don't have any inclination to write any more in regards to this one.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%