Biere D'Hougoumont | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Our Limited Edition Biere d’ Hougoumont is brewed with traditional French ale yeast, eight malts, French Strisselspalt hops, and aged on white oak and hard maple wooden staves. A traditional Biere De Garde style, this malty French-style farmhouse ale is brewed to be aged. The name honors the Hougoumont farmstead at the pivotal center of the Waterloo battlefield. Napoleon repeatedly failed to take the fortification, he then lost the battle and “met his Waterloo.”

Added by billab914 on 07-03-2012

1.75/5  rDev -54.7%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

A-Dark orange. Not a glower. Head is a solid finger of tan creamy fluff. Leaves lacing and looks good napping atop the body.

S-Plenty going on. Yeasty but very sweet. Oaky, but not aggressive. Smells like they lubed the beer in honey before they oaked it. Very malty. Maple syrup.

T-The nose was a cool lithe artsy collage, but the flavor is far too sweet. The aging on the wooden staves is this beers only high-point. Aside from that its a cloying mixture of maple syrup, yeast and honey. Just too sweet. The flavor does morph on the palate, but I don't like the flavors.

M-Syrupy. Not enough bubbles. Sticky. Makes you chew the air to relieve the stickiness.

O/D-Not my thang. Sorry Ommegang. Sounded pretty cool, but when I am paying $11 for a 12 oz. glass (admittedly not Ommegang's fault for the tap pricing) the beer better be a banger. Shoulda known, shoulda known.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a caramel amber with little head. Smells like sweet wort and yeast bread and caramel. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet. Sure, I pick up some floral, earthy hops, some tasty caramelized malts, etc., but the sweetness is punishing. Big vanilla and maple taste from the woods used. Mouthfeel is full, and the carbonation is rather mild. This is an alright beer, but I'd much rather have it on a cold, rainy day. Too sweet. I feel myself getting a headache already.

02/27/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Sweet at first then a sour finish on the first sip. Essence of orange under the nose which seems to manifest as a bitterness, ever so slight on the tongue. A touch on the heavy side. The sweet is sustained after a few tastes so sweet it is. Seems like a lot of work for a modicum of result. I'd say Napoleon didn't miss out on too much.

3.04/5  rDev -21.2%

Opens with a resounding Pop!

Pours amber/honey colored with a thin cream colored head. Sme floaties early on, no head retention or lacing

S: Pears, peaches & sourmash; appleskins (green) as this warms

T: Folllows the nose, a touch of honey & dryness up front. Pears & appleskins as this warms, slight boozey honey flavors, some brown sugar & passion fruit notes & some floral notes . Finishes with Golden Delicious apple sweetness, & dryness

MF: Light/medium bodied with near zero carbonation, become even thinner as this warms

I usually like ommegang, but this one is meh at best

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML corked and caged bottle that I bought at Save-On in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $13.49 into my Voodoo Brewery pint glass. No observed "best by" date.
Notes: My most well known Biere de Garde going into this review is Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met, a beer that I not only love but have had many, many growlers of and inspired me to remain in contact with the brewery ever since I first had Gran Met back in 2009. So it is with that perspective that I approach this Biere de Garde from Brewery Ommegang, another favorite brewery by the way.

A Light caramel slightly hazy but translucent body under a two inch thick and creamy light brown head. Good look. 3.5

S Light to moderate malt sweetness with some barley to the nose. Little to no hops detected by me. Seems right on target for the style. Some added intrigue for some yeast smells as well. 3.5

T Light malt and grains predominate and the late taste features a nice smooth, rounded taste that I attribute to the aging on wood mentioned in the brewing process. Although pleasant and on track for the style, honestly this beer's taste is rather forgettable for me. 3.0

M Light syrupy stickiness lingers on my tongue a full minute after my last sip which is not unpleasant. Overall feel is on the thin side. Again, that is appropriate to the style (a French Farmhouse ale) but not dynamic or interesting to me. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is pretty high given the manageable ABV % and the relatively light feel. Overall this is a fair attempt at the style but not one that I can see returning to. 3.0

Notes: There are many more favorable options even within Brewery Ommegang. The great Three Philosophers, Witte and their Dubbel are some examples from the top of my mind. I really made an effort to judge this beer on its own merits but rest assured this will not be replacing Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met atop my personal Biere de Garde list.
Additional note: Voodoo Brewery used to list Gran Met as a Biere de Garde. A quick check just now reveals that it is now considered a Tripel. Oh well. I still rated this beer on its own merits.

Biere D'Hougoumont from Brewery Ommegang