Biere D'Hougoumont | Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States
ommegang.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Our Limited Edition Biere d’ Hougoumont is brewed with traditional French ale yeast, eight malts, French Strisselspalt hops, and aged on white oak and hard maple wooden staves. A traditional Biere De Garde style, this malty French-style farmhouse ale is brewed to be aged. The name honors the Hougoumont farmstead at the pivotal center of the Waterloo battlefield. Napoleon repeatedly failed to take the fortification, he then lost the battle and “met his Waterloo.”

Added by billab914 on 07-03-2012

Liked:
3.85/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML corked and caged bottle that I bought at Save-On in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $13.49 into my Voodoo Brewery pint glass. No observed "best by" date.
Notes: My most well known Biere de Garde going into this review is Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met, a beer that I not only love but have had many, many growlers of and inspired me to remain in contact with the brewery ever since I first had Gran Met back in 2009. So it is with that perspective that I approach this Biere de Garde from Brewery Ommegang, another favorite brewery by the way.

A Light caramel slightly hazy but translucent body under a two inch thick and creamy light brown head. Good look. 3.5

S Light to moderate malt sweetness with some barley to the nose. Little to no hops detected by me. Seems right on target for the style. Some added intrigue for some yeast smells as well. 3.5

T Light malt and grains predominate and the late taste features a nice smooth, rounded taste that I attribute to the aging on wood mentioned in the brewing process. Although pleasant and on track for the style, honestly this beer's taste is rather forgettable for me. 3.0

M Light syrupy stickiness lingers on my tongue a full minute after my last sip which is not unpleasant. Overall feel is on the thin side. Again, that is appropriate to the style (a French Farmhouse ale) but not dynamic or interesting to me. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is pretty high given the manageable ABV % and the relatively light feel. Overall this is a fair attempt at the style but not one that I can see returning to. 3.0

Notes: There are many more favorable options even within Brewery Ommegang. The great Three Philosophers, Witte and their Dubbel are some examples from the top of my mind. I really made an effort to judge this beer on its own merits but rest assured this will not be replacing Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met atop my personal Biere de Garde list.
Additional note: Voodoo Brewery used to list Gran Met as a Biere de Garde. A quick check just now reveals that it is now considered a Tripel. Oh well. I still rated this beer on its own merits.

Biere D'Hougoumont from Brewery Ommegang